Monday, December 15, 2008

A Little Christmas Tour


Wow...my 3rd year in a row joining in the Christmas Tour of Homes hosted by Boomama!

It seems to me that either last year or the year before, I was busy inviting you all in by way of taking pictures while a windstorm raged outside.

This year, again, a storm hit our area...but this time along with the wind, a ton of snow and frigid weather have joined forces.
A snowstorm was predicted and by Saturday we knew there would be a good chance that the last day of the big performance might be canceled. Still we were hoping...but sure enough, this morning it came. And yes, the last of the performances were indeed canceled!

And here in our area, we're use to a little dusting or some wet snow that melts the next day...but this time the tempatures are dipping into the teens with a wind chill making it hover near 0! Yikes....

So, um...do come in out of that blizzard!

Yes, if you look behind you, that is indeed my husband and girls...taking a very brief zip down the road with the sled...but they will come in after just a moment, since it's way too cold out there!

As you come in, you'll notice our very tiny little entryway spruced up for Christmas and having a fresh coat of paint on the wall...


And just next to it is our end table. Towards the back is my crystal Nativity candle set that I've had from before I was married.

Before we see the rest of the Christmas decor, would you like some egg nog? I know...you either love it or detest it, so if you'd prefer, I have lots of flavored teas...Our family just drinks 'nog' from the moment it hits the shelf in October until that last one is sold in January...

Anyway...
Across the room is our fireplace mantle. We're not crazy about the brick, but at Christmastime we don't even notice that we don't like it!

Here it is with the garland lights on...so cozy...


Next to our mantle is my "It's a Wonderful Life Village". My mom and I began collecting these pieces before I was married...and now my own family loves it, too!

In fact, one year my husband bought me the "It's a Wonderful Life" train. It doesn't currently work but we like to set it up by the village, of course...

And then there's our Old World Santa...

We had gone to an office party three years ago and everyone bought a white elephant gift...where people can "steal" someone's gift if they don't want to pick a new one out of the box. The people at my table were laughing as I kept nudging Santa farther and farther under my chair...oh, how I wanted to take this guy home and not end up with some obnoxious gag gift!

And last but not least, is our one and only tree...the tree I spotted right away this time and guarded as fiercely as the old world Santa...
I've never had a "themed" tree because ever since I was a child- and now as a parent- my Christmas tree has always had childhood ornaments both bought and homemade, as well as ornaments people have given me over the years.


I have a couple ornaments from our first married Christmas (one when my husband was on deployment and one when he was home the following year)... and of course my girls' first Christmases...and even three very simple cardboard bells made by cousins and mom on my own first Christmas...I'll show these on one of my next posts!

But just like with some of you, so many ornaments represent something significant in our life...bring back special memories...remind us of our own childhood Christmases.

I have yet to put our the special Navitiy set, but hope to do that tomorrow...every year it goes atop our piano in our little family room\office. Perhaps I'll show it to you later...but I know you have to run now before this storm gets any worse! It's really blowing out there...
Bundle up, now! And thank you for stopping by again at my little Christmas Tour!


39 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stomping snow off before entering...

Lovely home. AWESOME tree! The stockings ARE hung by the chimney with care! I'll take a pass on the "nog" if you don't mind. The tea is just what I needed before heading back out into the winter wonderland. Thanks for being such a gracious hostess! :o)

Merry Christmas!

Susan said...

Lovely tour, Tammy, and I'll have a small cup of the egg nog!!!! I don't usually buy it but would love to have a sample with you and the girls.
Susan

Carol said...

How fun and festive! Thanks for sharing your home with us.

Merry Christmas!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

What a beautiful and cozy home. I love seeing the snow outside. We are in Southern California so our Christmas looks at bit different. :)

And I love the title of your blog...very cute!

Happy holidays!

Tammy said...

Wow...this is the smallest group ever by now visiting my Christmas home tour so far...um, guess it must be the blizzard? ;)

Becky said...

Oh my goodness! Just look at that snow! Brrrrr! I love your "It's a Wonderful Life" village. I've never seen one before. That is one of my very favorite Christmas movies! Your home is decorated so lovely and I love your traditional tree. It reminds me of our home when our girls were little.

Ruth said...

BR is right. The Magnolia tree looked so beautiful with it's blanket of snow last night. I should have taken a picture. My fiend came by with her husband & she swept off my sidewalk & the front step for me. Of course now it it is more slppery because of a layer of ice which was hidden underneath

Dawn said...

As I said, I am not doing the tour this year because of this dumb privacy issue. But it's fun to see others' places. We're having a blast of Minnesota-type cold this week, and quite bit of snow. But no wind, thankfully.

That's why I have two trees - because I always wanted a tree upstairs, and the kids wanted it down, so I compromised and got my own for upstairs. I've added to it for the last 7 years or so.

The downstairs one is full of so many memories - one special ornament for each year, plus lots and lots more.

So did the final performance have to be cancelled?

Ms. Kathleen said...

It all looks so lovely and inviting! Just beautiful! Thanks so much for some Christmas Cheer! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Lovely tour Tammy! Wishing you and yours a happy Christmas.

Susanne said...

Beautiful Tammy! Your tree looks awesome. You really did pick the best one.

I see your having the same weather as us. Absolutely bitter cold.

Secret: you can freeze eggnog and have a treat all year round.

Anonymous said...

Your home is so warm and inviting...exactly the way it should be during the holidays!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

What a cozy home you have! I love your Red front door! And your train is so cute, even if it doesn't' work:)

Hope you are enjoying that snow, ours all melted:(

Barb said...

Your tree is gorgeous, Tammy. And you decorate the same way I do, old, new and homemade ornaments and those that have been given to us over the years. Every ornament holds a memory, doesn't it?

Thank you for sharing your home with us - it's so warm and inviting, I wish I really could take you up on that eggnog.

Karen said...

Tammy, what a cosy home you have! Love all the decorating, and would love to have some of your snow! Could you send us some???? ;o)
Merry Christmas to you all!
Blessings and hugs,
Karen

Susannah said...

Thanks for welcoming us into your home. Your (unthemed) tree is gorgeous and I LOVE eggnog, thanks. (Especially eggnog lattes.)

We're stuck inside with the snow too. Pretty unusual at this time of year in the PNW!

Have a blessed Christmas Tammy. :~D

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Tammy,

Your home is so beautifully decorated for Christmas, it all looks so warm and inviting. I especially love your crystal nativity, how gorgeous it is!! Your tree is wonderful as well and I love it when it gets filled with treasured ornaments:-) xoxo

Just Mom said...

Beautiful, Tammy. I LOVE Old World style Santas.

btw ... this is my first year participating in the Christmas Tour of Homes.

Unknown said...

Tammy
Everything looks lovely. Your home looks warm and inviting. Thank you for showing me around. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Heather said...

I love your "Wonderful" village!

Jill said...

Everything looks lovely and so festive. I especially love that little snow village. I've thought of starting a village of my own but that would be **one more** thing to collect and I'm not so sure it's a good idea! They are so pretty, though. Merry Christmas!

Carla said...

What a lovely tour! You were right, THAT IS the perfect tree!

Pamela said...

I would like to come and sit there and enjoy your homey Christmas.

I was so close, too! (:

Keetha Broyles said...

I LOVE your header and I'm really really really in like with your coffee cup lollipop!!!

Thanks for having me over for your Christmas tour!!!

Enjoy the season.

Melodie Norman Haas said...

Everything looks so pretty, I love your old world santa. And I am jealous of the snow lol Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

I love your decorations. I hope it warms up soon!
Thanks for stopping by my place.

Susan said...

Even though I'm not participating officially, I did post all my decor a few days ago. I loved this little tour, Tammy! I pray that you have found warmth in these cold days. And that God richly blesses you this Christmas.

BTW, I LOVE egg nog!!

:-) Susan

Nancy said...

Thanks for the tour Tammy and it's just as beautiful as years past. You've really worked hard and it looks great.

Lucky you, getting some snow. It also looks like your kids enjoyed it. Sorry about the production being canceled.

I'll take TEA please!

Michelle said...

Everything looks lovely! I know it helps your family get in the spirit. Merry Christmas.

Susie Q said...

That was fun Tammy...thank you for showing us all your pretty and treasured decorations. Ones that mean so much are always the best!

Love,
Sue

Barb said...

Your Christmas header is beautiful, Tammy.

Since we all have so much spare time on our hands right now, I thought I'd tag you for a little Christmas meme.

Feel free to completely ignore me. LOL

Barb

groovyoldlady said...

Such a pretty and festive home, Tammy. Thanks for the eggnog. Hopefully it won't set me back on my weight loss!

Our tree IS themed. The theme is "Stuff we love". All the ornaments are homemade by kiddos or are special gifts with a memory attached. I can't even imagine going out to "buy" ornaments.

*twitch*

Kelli said...

Thank you for having us over! Your Christmas tree is gorgeous and I love your train set! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
I enjoyed your tour. Your tree is so full and pretty!! Thanks for visiting my tour and have a Very Merry Christmas!!

Momma Roar said...

A beautiful tour!! I love Christmas trees lighting up a room.

Thanks for letting me stop by!! May I have some hot cocoa to go, it's cold outside!!!

Midlife Mom said...

Thank you for inviting us into your home for the tour. Everything looks so nice. I love your favorite ornaments and how they have meaning to you. I have some from when I was just a kid and I love them. One was given to me by our pastor's wife and she is with the Lord now so it makes it even more special. Take care and have a wonderful Christmas! Stay warm, a big storm is headed our way too! Gulp!

Susan said...

Oh wow, how lovely!!

Enjoyed the tour!!

Unknown said...

Lovely home and decor - thanks for sharing.

Never seen the Wonderful Life train set before!

Thanks for stopping my by blog.

Anonymous said...

Your house looks amazing. I'm still trying to get through the list at BooMama's but I'm determined to do it before the New Year.

Happy Holidays!!