
I hope everyone's having a good week so far!
You know that little flu bug I mentioned last week? Well, it has just hung on these past ten days, just taking different forms along the way.
This time, I think I really am almost over it at last...but let's just say that the humidifier and I have become very good friends.

Did you all know that it was just Abraham Lincoln's birthday? And did you know they are starting a 2-year celebration of the bicentennial of his birth today, marked by Laura Bush visiting his place of birth? (Next year marks his 200th birthday.)
Needless to say, we were focusing in on honest Abe this week here in our home classroom...and the cool thing is that every time we do something like this, I am the one who always ends up learning something new!
Did you know his grandparents followed Daniel Boone over to Kentucky? And that later his grandfather was killed by Indians?
That's what I learned in school today!

I wanted to thank Hootin' Anni for honoring me with a special Valentine!
Isn't it darling? It's just the kind of Valentine I remember giving and receiving when I was a little girl! Thanks Hootin' Anni!And to Nadine who honored all of her regular blogging buddies with these two awards...

I am going to follow her example with these, and give them to each of you who I frequently visit. Because if you see me replying on your blog more than once, it is because "you make my day" and because I think your blog is "excellent"!
As for other news, we just made reservations at a couple hotels for our upcoming trip to California this spring! After much consideration and waffling, we've finally decided to drive.
So, now I have to start making a list of things to pack...and high on that list will be things to keep two little girls occupied for a thousand miles!
Does anyone have any wonderful suggestions or tips for traveling on the road with children? We have a portable DVD player and an audio tape player...but we'll need some car-friendly games and art ideas, so if you have them, I'd be so very grateful!

My girls have signed their bunches of Valentines and are ready for their parties this week! One in a Missionette club, and another with our home school group.
The modern Valentines aren't quite as quaint as they once were, but the excitement surrounding the fun is still the same!
Now, as for couple time and romance, I'm not sure yet whether we'll get our dance in this year on the actual day or not. But this year I have a new CD- Michael Bubl*'...so we'll see!
If I don't get a chance to post again before...
A very Happy Valentine's Day to each of you!








30 comments:
So glad you're feeling better, Tammy. Everywhere I visit in blogland, it seems there's so much sickness.
Happy Valentine's to you, too.
Hugs,
Karen
Glad you are feeling better!
It's amazing what you learn that you didn't know before from the kid's work, isn't it?
Happy Valentines to you too!
Hi Tammy,
Glad you're feeling better! Just wanted to stop in for a quick visit. Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day :)
xoxo
Cross country trips can be fun. Remember, it's the journey and not the destination that is all important. Take in things along the way....if not time to stop and look much, at least read about it as you go along.
I'm sure I'd learn a lot if I had to teach it. The teacher always learns the most, even in teaching Sunday School.
Susan
We've always thought that usually the teacher learns more than the students while preparing, especially at bible studies we've talked about that. Hubby loves Abraham Lincoln, interesting facts.
Dvds are probably a good thing for your trip; we used to pack a covered container of some sort with markers, crayons, little toys and games in it for ours that they could pull out now and then. Sometimes with 4 it helped to have 4 different containers!
Congrats on the awards! Well deserved!
And happy Valentine's Day to you and yours.
Target has a travel version of Scene It for a DVD player in the car. And, they have a Disney version, which would be perfect for your trip! I just bought it the other day, but we haven't used it yet. The case is smaller and the pieces are magnetic. I bet it would be fun!
Hope you can avoid sickness for a while! Happy Valentine's Day!
Do you think we're passing this flu on with our comments???? lol Sheesh, but it hits you hard, doesn't it!! I'm still feeling as weak as a kitten but at least my head is starting to clear up and I'm not blowing my nose every two minutes.
Congratulations on receiving the well deserved awards dear friend. That's quite something about Abe Lincoln's parents...in Canadian schools we learn a lot about the American history as well but those two facts I don't remember learning! lol
Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours...no matter how you spend it, I know that you'll be surrounded by love:-) xoxo
Happy Valentines Day to you Tammy! That was a cute card that you got from Hootin' Annie. Congratulations on the awards too, very well deserved and thanks for sending them along to all of us and sharing the fun!
That's a long trip but those little hand held games that are the small version of the regular sized ones are good. To*ys R Us have them and probably Wally World. We like the Uno one and several of the others. Check 'em out. Of course we always take colored pencils and sketch pads plus stickers.
Didn't know that about Honest Abe, learn something new every day!
I took Care Bear valentine shopping the other night - she is quite the little shopper. But I am always sad that everything has to be about a "character" and therefore, the cards don't have much character themselves! Oh, well, I'm showing my age!
I love the facts that you shared about Honest Abe. Unfortunately, the presidents' birthdays have taken a back seat to MLK day in my world. But yesterday when I took Care Bear to school at noon, Abe Lincoln was walking around the cafeteria and they were serving birthday cake. I was really glad to see that! And she was having her V party that afternoon, because they don't have school tomorrow (conferences) - so she had cake for lunch and then who knows what for the party?? Can you say sugar high??
P.S. Barb posted the greatest idea, which we've done too, about having a special bag that they can dip into with games and treats - we did it every hour to keep them looking forward and being good! Ha.
I'm glad you're feeling better.
Susan
Bless your heart. I'm so glad you're feeling better.
You're so right...the valentines of today aren't like they used to be.
I love Michael Buble' That boy can sing!!
Hugs!
Kat
Forgot to mention....congrats on the awards and thanks for passing them on.
Hugs!
Kat
I'm glad you're feeling better.
Your trip sounds like fun. What I use to do was bring their favorite snacks, water and a garbage bag. I also bought travel games for the car. If I had a DVD player back then that would have been sweet. I also found their blankets or pillow also helped them feel comfortable.
Have a great Valentine's Day.
I never knew that about Lincoln & I have read a lot about him. I have always been interested in his life & it was neat to learn something new about him. I know Martin Luther King was a great man, but it does seem as though Lincoln & Washington have been pushed to the background when they made February,MLK month, & looped both Wahington & Lincoln's birthdays together & named it President's day. We always celebrated both their birthdays in the old days when I was growing up
Good Morning......... Happy V-Day to you......... I had a little card for you but I cannot find your email address....... sooo you have a great day..........
hugsx0x0x00x
Congrats on the awards! And Happy Valentine's Day!
When we travelled with our girls way back in the dark ages, we didn't have electronica. What a useful age we live in now! But they did each pack a bag of their favorite things to do -- just one bag each. I've seen a lot of magnetic things for kids now, like paper dolls, games, adventure scenes, etc. Those are great because they don't scatter so easily.
Happy Valentine's Day Tammy!
I love all the facts about Lincoln. My dil says the same thing about homeschooling - she is learning so much!
I hope you feel all better very soon! Enjoy this special day.
Happy Valentines day to you and I hope that you are feeling better. That nasty bug seems to have hit everyone.
Hey Tammy, we always say the chickadee-dee-dee too!!
Hope you are completely better soon!
It's been a long time since I traveled with little ones. Back in the day we traveled from TN to TX on a regular basis--almost 1000 miles. Our boys were usually pretty good travelers, but one time--in desperation--I took their socks and made puppets. It became a family tradition for me to provide sock or sack puppets for entertainment on long trips. My sons still talk about my puppet shows!
Enjoy your trip--I think DVDs are the best invention yet for traveling families!
happy valentine's day, tammy! =D
Hi Tammy, I found your blog through Kat. I wanted to give you my idea for travelling with kids. Many years ago, I took my 3 and ny sister's 2 on a 13 hour trip. Here's what I did. Before we left, I went and purchased about 20 little surprises (just inexpensive little junk, really) and wrapped each one individually. Then I strung a cord from one side of the car to the other...near the top...and hung all the prizes from that. The kids were too excited! The rules were...at 2 hour intervals, they could choose a prize IF they had been kind and cooperative during the last 2 hours. If not, no prize, but if so...prize of their choice. The prizes were things that could occupy some time till the next GIVEAWAY. It worked wonderful! So well, if fact, I had to find a place to buy prizes for the trip back home! Hope this helps!
The one thing that I have found makes a huge difference when we take long car trips is I pack fruit/veggies in baggies for snacks and water bottles. IT makes a huge difference in moods! When we don't do that and eat from "junk" the kids seem to have very little patience!
I hope everyone is well at your house!!!
I think it was a shame when we lost Abe's and George's birthdays and just had President's day. Since I live just 35 minutes from Mt. Rushmore your kids might like some of my pics of the four Presidents. http://flickr.com/photos/mrsdarcy/sets/72157600133283937/
Enjoy!
Have a great day!
I hope you're finally kicking this flu bug and feeling better! How annoying to have it lingering on!
If you do a search for something like "car travel games" you'll find a lot of sites with suggestions. Most of them have free templates you can print out for games like bingo or something. It might help to take along a coule of cookie sheets as lap pads for doing any type of writing or art work too.
So glad you were able to enjoy your Valentine's Day! I was very ill too but felt better by *Heart* Day!
I am late but I hope it was a sweet one for you!
Hugs,
Sue
Tammy,
You are very deserving of all the awards. Congratulations!
I'm sorry you've not been feeling well. I've been a little under the weather myself. It started in the early morning hours of Sunday. I hope it doesn't last. Daughter's surgery is tomorrow morning and I have to be at her place at 7am.
We drove when we went to Florida - approximately 1500 miles each way. I got a big bag and put some new DVDs in it, Crayola Window Writers - these wipe right off the car windows and the kids have a ball drawing on them. They think it's cool. Crayola also has new packages of Disney Princess art out. You will see them in the Crayola isle. Some traveling games and little things from the dollar store that will keep them entertained. I bought each of them a maze book because they like puzzles. They love CARS toys so I got them a couple of them.
Each day there behaved, they were allowed to pick one thing out of the bag. They took turns choosing so each of them got the same. I didn't want "well he got and I only got..." You know the story.
Play licence plate games. The boys still like to do this and Grandpa joins in and so do I. Just use your imagination and you will do fine. I'm not sure what age your girls are, but the idea is to keep them occupied and stop often at rest stops and let them run off some excess energy.
Hope this helps some.
Blessings,
Mary
Post a Comment