Yes, take two adults, two kids, a ton of belongings -and stuff them in a small 4-wheel drive for over 2000 miles, and you're bound to get a few stories out of it! ;)

I have to say...this particular day proved to be my personal favorite time of the whole trip.
Not that I didn't love Disneyland...but on this particular Friday, I now I felt so relaxed and happy, and the weather was perfection.
We had all just had a wonderful time at the San Diego Zoo, and now, as the late afternoon sun was still warm in the sky, we headed over to check into our hotel.
This, I'm relieved to add, looked much nicer than our previous one.
I had splurged and gotten a suite type room...nothing fancy by any means, but still pleasant and roomy.
And besides, we were now on the second floor with no one above us...so no chance of a surprise septic shower in the night!
Second Floor = Good.
After carrying in our belongings, we headed over to my nephew's and his family.
I've mentioned this before, but my dad had been previously married, and I have two half-sisters. So R. was my dad's grandson.
After growing up in a non-Christian home (where, for awhile, his only exposure to things of God was during visits at our house) he is now a Navy chaplain and I truly couldn't be more proud of him.
I had never been to his San Diego home, and after having such a great reunion with their family last summer here in Oregon, we were all eager to visit with them again- as well as have a home cooked meal!
Well, our evening couldn't have been any better. Have you ever known anyone who seemed to personify hospitality?
I know a handful of people whom I can truly say this of, and they fall into this category completely...not only do I love my nephew like a brother, but he married the most gracious gal, who made us feel completely at home.
We had the best barbecue dinner, and as the kids excused themselves and went to all play together, the rest of us sat around the table and talked and laughed into the evening.
(In case you're trying to figure out how the children are related to one another- my dad, who is passed away now, is grandfather to my children as well as R. But R's children would be my dad's great-grandchildren- even though all of our children are all about the same age!
But as R likes to simplify it whenever I get into explaining how everyone is related by just singing that old crazy song, "I'm my own grandpa...")
Afterwards, my fun niece in law got out some baked cupcakes for the kids to decorate...

And then...and then... my dear nephew actually insisted that we leave the kids there to sleep over.
They offered extra clean toothbrushes and jammies...so how could we resist?
Let's just say, a little unexpected couple time was very nice and leave it at that.
The next morning, because my nephew had to work, his wife offered to take the rest of us to one of their favorite San Diego beaches, La Jolla.
Unfortunately, the weather became cloudy and the tempature dropped down to a high of 58 on this day...58!
But we all made the best of it...




(Above, my husband plays catch with R's oldest...and all the kids play in the water as if it's really not as cold as...well, as back home in Oregon!)And after washing all that sand off, we headed back for lunch and to pick up my nephew...because we were now all headed for Sea World!
This was especially significant for me...
You see, the last time I was at Sea World was on the California trip way back in 1977 in which this same nephew was with me...
Don't you love it? Look at us- he was eleven, I was fourteen.My dad bought him that Confederate hat at Knotts Berry Farm and it was basically glued to his head for the rest of our trip.
We've both changed a bit since that first visit to Sea World, but he still has that same cute smirky smile.
And now, 31 years later, we were there together again with our spouses and children, wandering around the exhibits and enjoying the shows.
Well,
mostly.
Remember when I said there was a story for you in Sea World? There is...and let's just say that I think the word "moisture" seemed to be the theme of the trip.
To be continued...








27 comments:
31 years later... that is soo cool! And they sure seem like wonderful family to have:)
They sound like an absolutely wonderful family. What a nice bonus for them to allow you two some "couple time" I remember how much I valued those evenings alone when the kids were small!
Can't wait to read the next installment. We took our kids to Sea World many years ago. They loved it!
xo
How wonderful that you could spend such precious time with family! Love the Sea World picture, and I am looking forward to part 6!
Gosh, Tammy, this was such a full vacation for you all! I love La Jolla...that's where Dr. Seuss lived. Did you see the trees in the park there? It's where he got his inspiration for his funny trees in The Lorax.
Can't wait to hear your Sea World story!
How fun that 31 years later y'all went to Sea World again, with your families!
But there you go again, leaving us with just a hint of the next part!
You took me back to our trip last September at San Diego, SeaWorld, and LaJolla. Thanks! It's beautiful there.
What memories to share another trip with your nephew so many years later and with your families.
You're always making memories!
Sounds divine. I'd love to be hospitable like that. ... somehow God passed out that special gene to others. :~D
I'll check back again for the next installment!
I loved the pictures...especially the blast from the past shot. Seems like a fabulous vacation.
I laughed out loud at "I'm my own grandpa." We have some family connections like that too, Tammy. LOL
I can see why you'd be so proud of him. And I can totally understand how great a home cooked meal tastes when you're on the road.
What a great time! I just love your old photos as they remind me of my own childhood...even though I'm a bit older than you :)
I'm gonna smack you for leaving us hanging once AGAIN!!!! LOL Ok, ok, I can wait to hear about what happened at Sea World...I guess...hehe
Sounds like a perfect time with your nephew and his family...made ME want to go stay with him too! lol What a shame it got so cold but children never seem to notice it too much when they're so busy having fun. Loved all the pictures!! xoxo
Tammy,
I'm glad you had a wonderful time and wasn't it so nice of your nephew's wife to keep the kids so you and hubby could have a little one-on-one.
Sea World is awesome. The boys liked that just as much as they loved Animal Kingdom. Those two were their favorites of the entire trip. You have some great memories to treasure.
Blessings,
Mary
How well do I remember when we took R on that trip to Disneyland & to Sea World & that confederate hat as well. We too had an adventure when our car had engine trouble & we took an unexpected side trip to stay with your dad's Aunt Ona for a day or two while we got the car fixed. She was so impressed with R's manners & loved having you both there as her kids were all grown of course.
I just surfed over here for the first time...I think? Love the California stories. Can't wait to hear the next "moisture" episode.
What an awesome circle of time. Just a wonderful trip for you.
I have a suspicion you got slammed by Shamu!
Your nephew sounds like a really neat guy with a great sense of humor.
You really had a V A C A TION! What fun and the blast from the past was wonderful ....... and I love the sand and water in my toes...... I want so much to go to Sea World....... I think we are going to San Diego next summer for our 10 anniversary........ Drive down Route 66 all the way....... your pictures makes me want to pack!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so glad you had the best time with family.
You nephew rocks for taking your kids for the night - yeah for coupe time!
I'm just catching up, and your beach pictures are making me want to head to the coast!!! Looking forward to the rest of the story. ;o)
What a nice read to start my day. Not only about your wonderful trip - but a reminder that prayers are answered. Someone was praying for that young man. And look at his life -- one that is helping 1000's of young men and women. Wow. Inspiring.
What a wonderful time with family. And how sweet that you were able to get a "date" night during your holiday!
Tammy, I really enjoyed visiting your blog and your latest entry. I'll be back later to dig into your archives! Isns't it fun to "meet" other Believers through blogging? Kinda makes this big 'ole world seem just a little bit smaller!
Thanks for visiting my blog. Come back often!
Blessings!
Dawn
Wouldn't it have been cool if you both took a photo with the same penguin?
CONGRATS on the "couple time"... that is a blessing indeed!
What a blessing to have some time with the hubby - so romantic and what a great trip! Have a great weekend! ☺
I am so enjoying your tales from the Disney road trip! But these cliffhangers are making my eye twitch!!!!lol! So glad you had such a wonderful time with family and I loved the picture of the two of you from years ago!
LaJolla is one of our favorites too. There's some pretty neat places to eat there. We love the San Diego Zoo too. Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story" (I can hear Paul Harvey's voice saying that! LOL)
Hugs!
Kat
what a wonderful day that was! The time with family, the unexpected kid-free night, the time at the beach, etc...sounds like a perfect day! How great you were able to get together with your nephew's family!
Thanks for your comment on my Kindergarten post- so much to think about! Kayla's bday is also July and school here starts in Aug. I thought all-day K was a bit much too, but that is what they have here. I guess if it doesn't seem to be working out I can always pull her and put her back in preschool, but we'll give it a chance at least!
Post a Comment