Monday, May 05, 2008

California Road Trip Part 6- "What part of SOAK don't you understand?"

Happy May everyone! I'm so behind in blogging but hope to try and catch up reading all of your posts this week!

We delivered May Day baskets again this year to neighbors (see last year's post) ...and after weeks of rain and cold, enjoyed sunshine and warm temperatures in the 70's the last few days...with the scent of blossoms in the air!
It doesn't get much better than that...and for these winter-weary Oregonians, we just had to be outside!
Now, at last...on with the story...(and don't let the length scare you- I think it just might give you a little smile - at my expense!)


(Be sure to scroll back for the previous chapters...)




We didn't arrive at Sea World until early afternoon. (Which was fine, since it was a bit chilly on this particular day and every degree it could reach for the high made a difference!)
Our two families enjoyed looking at all the exhibits, but we were were all especially excited about the dolphin show...


So, we all headed over to the stadium at show time...but as we filed in, I noticed that my nephew, his wife and their five year old little girl weren't following us to our bench.


"We're going to sit way up there..." he stated, pointing to some location so far into the sky that I had to squint to see it.
"We've sat in the splash zone before," he went on to explain. "but you guys go ahead..."

His two boys, however- real men in the making that they were- wanted to sit with us.
Now what fun is it sitting at the top of the bleachers when you can get a nice little splash from a real dolphin, I wondered...but at least his boys weren't going to wimp out on us!

So hubby and I, our two girls and their two boys squeezed onto the bench about five rows up from the ground.
I glanced around at the words on the seats which actually read,
"Soak Zone"
but dismissed them good-naturedly.

Soon, a singer with a guitar came out and proceeded to belt out a cute little ditty...something about "if you're sittin' in the soak zone, you're going to get soaked..."
I smiled, laughed and tapped my foot with the music.

Cute little song...


Finally, the show started!

Honestly, it was so exciting to see those dolphins up close and personal! They were amazing to watch with their grace and energy...


One of the dolphins did swim by and gave us a playful splash....too fun! I could handle this...


And look at it with it's trainer saying hello...aren't they cute!


But after a little while more into the show, another dolphin had orders to come by and "playfully" splash us.


However, this one seemed to have a vendetta.

After causing a huge tsunami to land blast us, this didn't seem to be good enough. This rogue dolphin continued to pummel us as we ducked for cover, frantically trying to protect cameras and keep from drowning at the same time.
As salt water burned my eyes, I noticed that my poor youngest was crying...

Uh-oh...would she now fear all sea creatures for the rest of her life?

My husband, who was on the end, began leading the way to higher ground...and we all followed numbly.
I felt as though we were some pathetic people from a disaster movie as we gasped and sputtered up the steps of the bleachers- before finding refuge about ten feet higher, nearly collapsing on the steps.


We calmed our littlest one down (who later forgave the crazy dolphin) and we proceeded to watch the rest of the show.
Others had escaped up there, too...and all of us huddled there,
relieved to be out of blow-hole shot of Flipper's evil twin.


(Don't let that cute, innocent face above fool you!)

Afterwards, my husband went back to the car...far, far away into the mass of vehicles...to retrieve some dry shirts and things for us.
Good wife that I am, I waited patiently for him to return in my soggy and shivering state...
So you can imagine how I felt when he came back with dry clothes for the girls (thankfully!) but didn't see my sweatshirt.

I kept my temper- honestly...
But still, there was no way humanly possible that I could survive any more time out there wearing a soaked shirt in 59 degrees.


So there was only one thing to do.

Buy a Shamu sweatshirt.

And you can bet my normally very frugal husband didn't dare even to bat an eyelash at the $25 price...perhaps my lips were turning blue so he didn't have the heart.

And of course,
nothing says fashion and elegance like a big ole Orca whale in front of your tummy.


But the happy ending in this day is that all of us actually had a really great time.


(On the left, my husband and R.'s oldest before the show, blissfully unaware of the watery fate that awaited us all...)






And speaking of Shamu, his show was tremendous!



Isn't it nice that digital cameras have a zoom lens and you can sit... oh, say...really far away?

Anyway, in all seriousness...what I enjoyed probably more than anything on this weekend, was seeing my children and my nephew's children together. These cousins that rarely get to see each other, completely bonded during this visit.

I might add here that not only our my nephew and niece in law extremely hospitable, but their children also were so incredibly friendly and polite- as well as being fun-loving. It was truly a pleasure being around all of them!

Knowing that my nephew's family would soon be relocating across the country didn't exactly make parting that evening very easy for any of us.


After lots of hugs all around, we all felt a little misty...and so we said our final farewell with one, big group hug by our car within the vast parking lot, underneath the darkened sky.


In the morning, we'd be packing up and driving that long road home to Oregon.


But believe me, our trip wasn't over yet. We'd see a few amazing sights along the way...and I'll share them with you next time!

I know...no big cliff hangers this time. But the story's not completely over, trust me!

26 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
I remember that soak zone! We were there on a hot day and those seats were the first taken. Everyone wanted to cool off. But 50ยบ for San Diego is a bit on the chilly side, especially when you're wet! Great photos, and I look forward to the next installment of your trip!
xoxo

Nancy said...

Tammy, I have really enjoyed your road trip and I'm delighted that it's not over! I've never been to Sea World so thanks for the heads up on the "SOAK ZONE"! I'm sure I will have to take my grandkids (if my two thick headed kids would just understand how important grandkids are to ME and get with the program already... hehe)! Thanks for sharing.

Susannah said...

Oh, chuckle, chuckle. I read parts of your story early this AM before I dashed out the door. I've just come back to read the details!

Well, Tammy, now I know. We haven't been to see that dophin show, and I consider myself amply forewarned, thanks to you. It sounds like a wonderful program and I'd love to go. But I'm sorry you got so soaked. :~(

Thanks for sharing all your adventures. These are fabulous memories (for all of us) for a lifetime!

Blessings, e-Mom

ruth said...

I know you learned to read at 4 & 1/2 so surely "SOAK ZONE" must have registered somewhere. That & the fact that my grandson & family sat up higher.
Anyway I enjoyed a chuckle at your expense, & was glad that you invested in a warm swetshirt, & I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the one I had you buy for me as well as the Disneyland Tee shirt. I can't wait until this weekend when hopefully you will fianaly be able to come down & bring them for me.

Tammy said...

Mom, you are too funny...and actually, I believe I began learning to read at 3 and a half, thank you very much! :)
But maybe I still need to work on my word definitions a bit...LOL

Anyway, that was just a bad, bad dolphin...

Mary said...

Tammy,

When we visited Sea World in Florida and went to the Shamu show, we took heed of the signs and sat higher and out of the soak zone. The people that didn't were soaked to the skin and it was a cold and windy day.

Enjoyed all the photos. I got some nice ones of the show too.

Blessings,
Mary

Dawn said...

So, having been to Sea World several times, I was chuckling even before I got to your "punch line" as I was all to familiar with how this story was going to turn out for you! At least it was hot the day I got soaked!!

Your story is so like many of mine - usually with me at the center of some calamity that causes great amusement for everyone (but me).

I'm really enjoying reading all about your trip! Thanks!

Blessings,
Dawn

Corrie said...

That's hysterical. I died laughing at your description of the soak zone and I will remember this advice when we travel to SeaWorld!
Great story!!! Awesome pictures too!
Have a great day!
=)Corrie

Nadine said...

Too funny. I guess they really mean soak zone. Thanks for the warning - I'm sure to remember that if we ever get to Sea World.

You took some great shots of the show. It looks like it was fun.

LZ Blogger said...

Tammy ~ Thank you for the kind words on my "Australia's Zoo" post. It looks like you guys had a wonderful time in California. I've had several of those SOAKINGS over the years, but it's not like we don't know they are coming!!! ^wink^ Thanks for sharing! ~ jb///

Dawn said...

PS - I grew up in the midwest where May Day was always celebrated. After we moved to Texas, we discovered that many of our neighbors hadn't a clue about the day. We've had fun letting them in on the secret! Hopefully, they'll pass on the fun to others, too!

Unknown said...

Hi Tammy :)
I enjoyed your post today. I love dolphins.Have a safe trip home.
Blessings, Lisa

Linda said...

I knew where this was going right away Tammy. We have a Sea World here. The last time I was there the soaking came courtesy of Shamu. It was huge!! I was NOT sitting in the soak zone, although here it is so hot that a good soaking can be a welcome thing.
I love seeing my sons children play together. It is just as you have said. It is wonderful to see little cousins bonding.
Great posts Tammy!

Rose of Sharon said...

They are so cute! That looks like it would be such a great show. Fun family time even if you got wet!

gail@more than a song said...

I knew when I read your title what must have happened! We've been to Sea World too and sat close to that area! Didn't get as soaked as you though.
It does sound like a really good trip.
Hubby always said that if nothing eventful happened on our trips we wouldn't remember them! It's true, and you'll have lots of great stories and memories from your trips.

Denise said...

When I get to Sea World I will avoid the "soak zone" I love the adventure that you have shared......

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a fun story!! The soak zone - I wouldn't have really gotten it myself. Glad your littlest isn't dolphin-phobic as a result. :-)
Blessings! (My hubby has been over in Eugene all week and reports a few little sun sightings...)

Pamela said...

You gave me shivers. (We've had nice weather but the wind came up sort of chilly this evening.)

Next time you'll know to take towels. hey? ha ha ha

Actually $25 wasn't as bad a price as I thought it would be. (You're worth it)

Susan said...

Well, I have to say it......where is the picture of you and the $25sweat shirt?
Susan

Midlife Mom said...

I so remember the ole soak zone! And you are so right, it's no fun walking around in soggy clothes so we had to buy sweat shirts too! lol! Sea World is such a great place, we plan on going there in October when we go back to Florida. I love the dolphins.....at a distance!

Ms. Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Kathleen said...

What an absolute blast! It has been years but what memories it brings. Hugs ~

Oh, you won my name our acreage contest... I know it is so late... but with all that has been going on... Anyway, I didn't select your suggestion, actually we came up with our own but I really liked yours a lot... Hugs! Oh, I will post you as the winner on Saturday so you can see what you won... Oh, and send me you snail mail addy... I am not sure if I still have it.

Hugs again!

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Tammy:-)

Oh I can sympathize with you at getting soaked because the same thing happened to me and Steve when we went to Marineland last summer...we had also been told we were standing in the soak zone but it was so hot, we thought it would feel good to get splashed a bit. Well...like you, a veritable Tsunami was thrown at us! lol We were completely soaked right through!!! I might not have found it so funny though if it had been 59F!!! Aren't the dolphins and whales so much fun to watch though? I can well imagine how much fun the cousins had being together:-) xoxo

Susie Q said...

I have so enjoyed this road trip with you...I loved all of those places and seeing them again, through your lens, has been such fun.
You really did have a great time didn't you? : )

Love,
Sue

Dawn said...

We were there when it was hot, so getting wet was kinda fun. But I sure wouldn't want my phone or camera to get soaked! 59 degrees sounds frigid!

But I just love those shows - they are so creative and fun. Even the bird and dog ones, which I never could figure out what they were doing in Sea World!

I still have one more chapter in our Hawaii trip, but I kept not getting around to it. Do you think it's too late??

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Tammy

I know, I know...I'm saying it yet again...I'm playing "catch up" with my blog reading. It happens more often than I ever thought possible. But I'm not complaining though. My life is full and happy, so sometimes I get behind.

I sure enjoyed your adventuous vacation.

Hugs!
Kat