Friday, May 23, 2008

Pioneer Days...

Does anyone else absolutely love history when it comes alive?

This week we got to step back in time about 150 years....
You see, it was my turn to organize a field trip for our home school group... so being the American history buff that I am, I picked a place that would show us how the pioneers lived her in Oregon.

OK, so last summer I also organized a field trip to the end of the Oregon Trail...(I think I'm getting a reputation here!) and this time, it was to to where one of the founders of the valley built his home- which is still standing- and where there is an original tiny school house and pioneer museum- all of which are surrounded by beautiful farmland and countryside.

I've been to this area countless times, it's one of my favorite places- but I had never participated in this particular field trip before.
(In fact, it was in this spot that I took the photo in the above blog header.)

We divided ourselves into two groups, and I was with my youngest girl...and my mom!
Yes, I still had my mom with me this week, so she was able to join us- and being the history buff that I am, she loved every moment!


Basically, the field trip was divided into several parts....

Making and playing with pioneer toys...



Exploring the real jailhouse...


Learning a real school yard game of the era, called "Run, lion, run"...

And one of our favorite parts...
Attending school in the one-room school house for a full 30 minutes!
This felt so much like truly stepping back into time...

The school marm did look just a little stern to me, and when she started explaining all the uses of that hickory stick in her hand, I was half afraid she might really demonstrate the worst one, if the class didn't tow the line!
But she kept letting a hint of a smile escape now and then, so we all breathed easier.

They really learned what school would have really been like, down to having to raise their hands, stand up, and then start speaking by first saying,
"Yes, maam." And they did it!
Hmmm...maybe I should try this at home...

They even had to work out some problems on their slates!
At one point, they were playing an adjective game (having to do with the word cat), something the younger kids couldn't quite understand fully yet. My girl asked if she could simply draw a cat on her slate. The teacher agreed, and afterward had her show it at the front of the class...


After all converging to eat lunch together, we then went through into original founding pioneer house, where we learned more about the history of the family and the area...and then were free to explore the home while a few children at a time made candles.
It was so fascinating to see all the many authentic artifacts throughout the home!
We weren't allowed to photograph in this house, but I forgot once, and took a picture of this hand-crafted feather wreath made by a pioneer in 1850...

(Click for slightly more detail)

From here, we all drove over to another area, called the Pioneer Mother's Museum.
Here, the children got to experience a variety of activities from kneading bread to making wool bracelets...

And all the moms' favorite part came next, when the children went outside to the porch and took turns washing clothes on a washboard! Then, they hung them up to dry...and if they weren't wrung out enough, the pioneer grandma asked them to do better!










And would you believe

that most of our little pioneer-ettes actually kept getting back into line over and over- voluntarily- to wash and hang more clothes?!


We parents were incredulous...
If only it was this easy to get out kids to do chores at home!

And if only our great-great grandmothers could see our modern washing machines! They'd beg to do the laundry over and over, too...forget those washboards!


All in all, I think most everyone has a wonderful day going back to the 1850's. I know I did!
But although it I love the idea of going"back to basics" and exploring the past, I have to admit that I would really miss my modern appliances if they were suddenly taken from me.

So, I'll just pretend to go back now and then via books, movies...
and these occasional, wonderful field trips.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

23 comments:

Heather said...

That looks like you had a lot of fun. My kids have done a lot of this because when they complain about doing things the easy way I show them the old fashioned way--one day washing and line drying everything changed my oldest's attitude about washing machines.:)

ruth said...

I loved the field trip with the Homeschool group & of course there were a few things that I could relate to from living during the 1930s like the tub & washboard mama used when I was small before she got her first Magtag washer with a wringer. I seem to remember before that she might have gotten a hand wringer to use with the tub. Clothes sometimes froze on the line & in very bad weather had to be humg up in various places on a clothes line strung up somewhere in the kitchen. I for one would not want to go back to the"Good old days" & love all the modern conveniencs.

Susanne said...

I love history and would have loved this field trip! I love how hands on it was for the kids to experience some things from that era. And although I love history, I always say that God knew what He was doing putting me into this century, because I would have died, I tell, just died from all that hard work! :v)

Susie said...

What an entertaining and educational field trip for both young and old alike. I laughed at their dedication in washing those clothes. Too funny!
Have a wonderful weekend Tammy!
xo

Susannah said...

I'm so glad you, your Mom, and your girls had this experience. They look darling in their dresses! It's so much fun to learn the survival skills of days gone by.

The story of the pioneers on the Oregon trail is just amazing. We were thoroughly impressed with the High Desert Museum in Oregon City.

Can you imagine being a pioneer Mom, travelling on foot or in a bumpy covered wagon across the country, AND caring for children too (and often burying them)? We were literally in tears at the end of the museum tour.

While living like pioneers seems romantic at first, our 21st century hardships pale compared to theirs. They were tough stock, weren't they?

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend Tammy!

((Hugs))

Dawn said...

Oh, what a great day! I love stuff like this.

Makes me want to go watch an epidsode of Little House on the Prairie!!!

Have a blessed Memorial Day weekend! Dawn

Anonymous said...

I really don't like history, but this looks like so much fun!

I watched a TV show on PBS last year where a family was place in setting from long ago and had to live that way for 3 months. It was very trying and difficult, but they learned much as a family.

I was just hooked...

Linda said...

That's my idea of a perfect field trip Tammy. I just love "going back in time" that way. I'm with you though, I would have to take my appliances and our medical knowledge - then I think I'd be perfectly content. I might even to without the tv - but do you think I could bring my computer?
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Dawn said...

What a wonderful day you arranged! I would enjoy that as well. We have an old-fashioned schoolhouse here in one of our parks that the kids in school visit during 2nd grade, if I remember right. Nothing as wondeful as your trip, but better than nothing!

I'm with you on wishing times were simpler, but with our modern amenities!

Jill said...

Wow- how neat, and what a great experience for everyone. We used to have Pioneer Days at my elementary school once a year and I loved it. Back then, I was very much into the Little House on the Prarie books. I still have a couple of the dresses I wore.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your post and I know you all had a wonderful field trip. My Girl's and I would have enjoyed this trip to.Your daughter looks so sweet dresed up,she looks like she is a part of that era. Have a great weekend.
Blessings, Lisa

Denise said...

I am not much on history except for WW11 but you made it look like fun......... Looks like a lot of work and you did a good job....... I have a nephew that goes to all the reenactments in VA....... He has been taking part for many years now..... sooooooooo kudos to you........

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Doing stuff like this is one of my favorite things:) I really think our families would have sooo much fun together....maybe some day:)

What a great field trip! My oldest just went with her class to a working farm (owned by the park district) and did chores and learned what life would have been like in the 1800's:)

Nadine said...

What a great experience for the kids. I would have loved to come along for the ride. I loved reading the Little House books and how much fun would it be to experience a little of that.

JulieMom said...

Can I go with you next time? PLEASE???

Glad you found me again...hope you like the recipe. I'll be back again here too!!

**Hugs for a bloggy reunion** :0)

Pamela said...

I can't think of a better way to teach a kid history. Wow.

Midlife Mom said...

What a wonderful field trip for the children! I agree with Dawn, it made me feel like watching an episode of Little House On The Prairie, especially that last photo with your little girl in the long dress! We have a place called Sturbridge Village here on the east coast in Conn. It is very much like what you have and is so much fun to visit. We haven't been for a while so you have inspired me to take my grand kids as I know they would love it!

Nancy said...

You history buff you... what a great field trip and learning experience for all! You are one super MOM.

Rose of Sharon said...

That looks like such a fun place! I would love to visit there. My family came across the Oregon Trail and my great, great, great, great grandmother was the first teacher in Sprinfield Oregon!

Hugs, Sharon

Justabeachkat said...

Gosh, that looks like a fun thing to do whether you're a student or a parent. Great photos!

I hope your Memorial Day was a good one. I'm so proud to be an American. I'm thankful to all of the men and women who defend our country.

If you get a chance, stop by my blog and see the video at the end of my post. It's worth watching.

Hugs!
Kat

Mary said...

Tammy,

I love the one-room school. I went to this type of school and your photos brought back memories. We didn't have slates but had a blackboard. However, children in the higher grades helped to teach the little ones. The teacher was 19, had 56 students and some of the grade 8 boys were almost as old as she was. And I have also washed clothes on a scrub board. I was very lucky to experience these things, as most people had modern conveniences back then. Grandma didn't have electricity so things were done the old fashioned way. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

Blessings,
Mary

Carole Burant said...

Now that is my kind of place...just to visit, though, I don't think I want to give up my modern conveniences! lol I so loved all your pictures and the children really looked like they were right into it...make them to that every day, though, and it would become work and not fun! hehe I think you had an excellent idea choosing that place for the field trip!! xoxo

groovyoldlady said...

Oh Tammy, I love that last pic!

We have a place like that here called the Norland's Homestead. It's a VERY fun place to visit!

The girlies and I have been studying the westward expansion of the U.S. for most of the schoolyear. We celebrated a couple of days ago by BURNING the fort we had painstakingly built last month. It was a great way to get rid of a school project that was taking up too much space. We have a zillion photos of the fort and we filmed it's subsequent attack by wild indians armed with flaming brands.