
Last week, for our home school book report group that I lead, my third grader chose a Christian fiction book about a little girl who goes on a trip to New York.
Interestingly, the story was written in the 90's, and the main character, among other things, goes up to the top of the World Trade Center.
All of this reminded me with such clarity of my one and only trip to New York City...
The year was 1997, and my husband was in the Navy. His ship was sailing up from Virginia to NYC for Fleet Week, and some of the spouses were getting together and flying up to meet them.

(How I wish I could find more photos to share, but they are currently hidden away somewhere. I can only find this one, single still-image from our time there...)
Now, my husband actually lived in N.Y for a couple years before I met him, but I was very excited to be apart of Fleet Week since this would be my first time ever visiting the Big Apple.
During our whirlwind four days, we did all the touristy things...
One of them being going to the top of the World Trade Center.
So with my daughter learning about New York lately, I thought it would be fun for our family to sit together and watch the home movie we had made during that trip. Especially since our children had never seen it!
So on Mother's Day evening- just two days ago- we all settled in to watch the old VHS tape of their mommy and daddy...back in the days before children!
I learned a few things while I sat with my family, viewing this part of our early marriage.
A few of them were a bit trivial, mind you, but worth mentioning...
1) First of all, we had only been married for two years and most of that time has been spent apart due to deployments. Hence, my adoring husband spent almost as much time with the camcorder in my face as he did filming the actual places we saw.
(Kind of sweet, I know...)

2) I also learned that- although I'm not exactly "waddling" around today...and I suppose I am holding up fairly well for my age...
I had honestly forgotten just how very young and skinny I looked eleven years ago.
(However, my six year old actually said I look just about the same?!!! What a great way for my little sweetie to score Mother's Day points!)
3) But I also learned that despite of the fact that it was 1997, I really seemed to have an 80's perm thing happenin'.
And I was really good at chewing gum back then and I seemed almost...could it be....cool!
(Well, at least for me, anyway...)
It was great watching it all...
our going into a retro-1940's style restaurant (I've always loved that era!)...
checking out the MET...walking through Chinatown and eating dinner in Little Italy....
And seeing my girls giggle as they watched me blow kisses at my hubby who (or the camcorder- not sure which).
Hearing my girls exclaim, "Daddy, look, your hair is SO black!" ;)
But besides the fun reliving that time in our lives, I also felt something else.
You see, I don't think I had seen this video in about seven or eight years...
Not since 9-11.
When it came to the part where we are filming our view from the very top of the World Trade Center, something inside my stomach tightened.
Besides this, there was also footage of us walking around the streets of New York, where my husband would pan in on the twin towers.
At one point a plane innocently went by the towers in view.
I don't have to explain to any of you how that sent shivers up my spine.
My now third grader was just two years old and oblivious of the crisis our nation was having when 9-11 took place. (I was also just 8 weeks along with my now six year old.)
My children thankfully didn't endure the fear of that time...and yet, my oldest is very fascinated with the fact that this attack actually happened in her lifetime... especially whenever she sees the huge magnitude of those buildings.
And she thinks her parents were lucky to actually have gotten a chance to experience being atop of them firsthand.
My husband and I agree.
But seeing the video of us touring the top of the twin towers...looking down on the incredible view from up in the clouds...standing on the very same floor where just four and a half years later, so many would lose their lives... made my heart go out afresh to all those that perished or lost loved ones in that devastating attack.
No matter how time may soften the intensity of that , we just can't ever forget...
So watching this home movie, I realized that it wasn't just a cute little piece of our family history we were viewing, this handsome sailor and his bride excitedly touring the sidewalks of New York...but it's also a piece of history in general.
Somehow intricately tied in together.
But in spite of the underlining national sadness I'll from now on remember whenever I view this video of New York...it's hard not to help but smile when I see myself look up into the camera while in the retro-restaurant and excitedly exclaim with all my youthful exuberance and recently permed hair,
"It's my 1940's salad!"
What about you...have you or someone you know ever had the chance to go up to the World Trade Center? Or, at least have had the chance to visit New York? Share your thoughts...








24 comments:
the company I worked for during the 80s sent me back to their main offices which were at 2 WTC -- and I'm thinking somewhere around the 100th floor.
I only remember I had to ride the elevator half way up and then switch to a new elevator to get the remainder of the way.
Then in mid 90s, we took our youngest to New York. We didn't go up. But, we stood at the bottom and got dizzy trying to stare at the top.
We think about it .
belated happy mothers day, tammy.
my brother works in NY right now.
My senior trip in high school was to NYC for the day. We didn't go up the twin towers, we did the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty. I've also been there with my hubby a couple of times, but neither time did we go up the WTC towers. I have pictures of them, somewhere, from one of those trips.
Tammy,
I have never been to NYC, but have always wanted to go during the Christmas season. Brandon and Jordan both have an interest in visiting, but I would not want to drive there. Hopefully one day we will all get to go. I would love to see Ellis Island and search for my ancestor's names there. The Statue of Liberty is also of interest.
I'm glad you have this history and the beautiful video of you and your husband enjoying your time together. National history and family history are both included in your recording.
Thank you for sharing. I would love the retro restaurant as well. That salad looks delicious.
Blessings,
Mary
I've never been in NYC. I don't even live in the States. But everytime I see a picture of the New York City skyline with or without the towers, whether in pictures or movies, my mind and heart automatically go right back to that day.
Hi Tammy,
I really haven't seen nearly enough of this beautiful US. We're hoping that will change someday soon!
I can only imagine how viewing those videos of the WTC would feel.
I think I've mentioned that we were actually flying home from Alaska on 9-11. Certainly that was a day that no one will ever forget, nor should they.
Loved seeing the picture of you two as newlyweds!!
xo
My husband went to the top of the World Trade Center during a high school trip in the mid-80s.
Good post Tammy. Some of the kids in Oklahoma City who were in the nursery of The Murra Building and survived that attack are now graduating from high school!!! That brought back memories, too, and the fact that life goes on.
Yes, we are little pieces of the history that is being made each and every moment.
Susan
I had never been to the world trade center. Kinda sad, wish I had.
I'm glad you had the video. What great memories for you and to be able to share them with your girls.
It sounds like a great Mother's Day for you which is a blessing indeed!
What a great post! Your video IS a piece of history... and a valuable one at that. Shivers, indeed. Fun to see you so young and pretty. (You're still young and pretty!)
We went to NYC for the first time in April of 2001. Our kids flew off to Russia on a mission trip over spring break, so we hopped on the plane to the Big Apple.
It was a horrible, scary thing to see the twin towers come down just a few short months after we stood right below them. (We opted to go up to the top of the Empire State Building at midnight instead of to the top of the world trade center.)
This would be great to repost in September as a tribute to 9/11.
Blessings, e-Mom :~D
I have really liked hearing some of your personal experiences...
emom, that would have been especially unbelievable to see them crumble just months after you were there!
(And yes, I had already thought I would re-post this in Sept.!)
Keep them coming...
I lived in NYC most of my life. Tom and I too spent a day in the city and went to the top of WTC. We use to drive on the highway and see them in the distance.
My niece worked across the street from WTC and saw the first plane hit the building. It was very tramatic for our family. She did make it home safe but had to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge that day.
Nadine...wow...
Hello dear Tammy:-)
Although I've been in the state of New York, I've never been to New York City itself. In fact, while Steve and I are in Niagara Falls this weekend, we'll be crossing the border and going to Buffalo which is where the nearest Cracker Barrel is...I've been wanting to go there so badly:-) I would love to one day go to NY city but as you say, knowing that the twin towers are no longer there would certainly be a sad feeling. I can imagine how you felt watching those videos because anytime I'm watching a movie which is filmed in NY and show the twin towers, I always get a sick feeling in my stomach. Apart from that, though, I bet the girls loved watching these videos:-) See you when I get back next week!! xoxo
Wow I didn't realize you had a video of the trip. I would like to see it when I come up this weekend.
Mom took my sister & I to NYC back in the 40s & of course the WTC wasn't built then. We did go to the top of the Empire State bldg. which was the tallest at that time.
We also went across to the Statue of Liberty on a ferry & rode the Subway. It went so fast & I wondered how people knew when it was their stop to get off.
We were in a restroom & were amused by hearing a Brooklin accent asking Moitle ( myrtle) pass me the terlet (toilet) paper please.
One of our favorite places to eat was I think called the Automat where different food were along the walls in glass cases & you put your money in & selected your food, much like vending machines, but lots of different selections.
I think there may have been more than just one of these. It was a very popular place to eat & always crowded.
Such a wonderful post Tammy. Your video is truly a treasure for you but for your kids.
I adore NYC, love it, love it all.
We have been several times but used to go, by train, when we were stationed in upstate NY. I have a bunch of pictures taken of all of us on Ellis Island and right behind us, along the skyline, are the towers.
Those pictures give me the chills even more than remembering being in them. Why I have no idea.
I walked through that lobby and around those buildings in my mind for weeks after 9 11. I still get sweaty palms when I think about it all.
And I do think about it all.
Thank you for sharing all of this with us sweetie.
Love,
Sue
Tammy,
We visited NYC in 1992. I was pregnant with my oldest at the time. We didn't go up in the towers but stood at the bottom looking up. It was a late Sunday afternoon and the area was eerily desserted. I remember telling my hubby that I didn't think I would like working in such tall buildings, especially if there were an emergency like a fire or something.
That conversation has haunted me ever since 9/11.
Thanks for sharing!
No, never been, but really felt a huge loss when 9-11 took place.
I am sure you cringe to think of the magnitude of what happened and knowing you had been in that very spot.
By the way, I think you are totally cool and beautiful! You rock for a mommy your age :)
I was at WTC 1988 with our exchange program, we spent a few days there in NY on a trip before leaving for our countries. It was fun. The elevator ride seemed endless.
I never went to/in the WTC!
My husband was in the Navy, too - we spent 10 years active but have been a civilian family since 2005.
Tammy,
Thank you for the kind words about my aunt. Your kindness is very much appreciated.
Blessings,
Mary
We've been to New York a couple of times and I think I told you that we were there in 97 also! Maybe after you though because we were there in the summer. Took the whole family to the top of the WTC, I had nightmares about it a week before the trip; I'm afraid of heights! The top didn't bother me as bad as I thought it might but the room with all the glass windows a floor or 2 down was the worst for me. We were there again in 2001, about 6 months before 9/11 and it just made me sick the day that happened. To think of that happening when you've stood there, made me think of all those people that might have been there sightseeing; so sad.
I was in NYC in 1969....... Long long time ago......Loved the city and say all the sights..... Would love to go back one of these days...... but I am sure there will always be an air of sadness there......... Still hard to remember those visions from that 911........ How can we forget?
Thanks for the beautiful post........
Your text is very well written, plenty of emotions. I was in New York with my husband who came from Brazil to work for IBM in 1991. The pictures we shot at the top of WTC are unforgetable! Then we were at New York again in 1993, when travelling to Poughkeepsy we heard on the radio that an explosion had just happened at the garage of the WTC. It was the first attempt. We could not imagine what would come later.
Post a Comment