Monday, August 25, 2008

24-Hour Excurion Part 2 (and Finale)


Oh dear...did I let almost a week go by? Am I behind in almost all of your blogs, as well?
I guess it's all due to the end of summertime...
Trying to both enjoy these last days and at the same time, get ready for the coming school year.
Well, and also the fact that I've been glued to the Olympics every night that we've been home!
But I can't just leave you hanging!
So....On to the rest of the story!
(And I'll try to visit most of you as I can through the week...promise!)


(*Edited to include one picture I forgot!)

While my family slept peacefully, the wind whipped the tops of the trees, making them look like part of a wheat field, bending in the breeze. But what was eerie was the sound. The loud, rushing wind seeming so much like an ocean's crashing waves.
I found myself feeling tense...just hovering on the line of fear.

But then I remembered what I was just telling my girls earlier, when the thunderstorm was near.
I reminded them of how Jesus was in the boat with the disciples when a storm came up. Even though they were grown men, the disciples were still very much afraid. But Jesus was able to calm the storm... and I told them that when Jesus is with us we don't have to be afraid.
They had listened again to this familiar Bible truth and believed it. But here I was watching the tree tops sway with trepidation.

So I prayed and did feel much better putting the storm into God's hands.
I lay down and prepared to sleep, and as I drifted off, I couldn't help but notice that the winds actually did indeed die down within minutes. Of course, it might not have been a direct answer to my prayer...but then, why couldn't it have been?

The next day there was no wind...but the thunderclouds had rolled back in and I awoke to the loud clap of thunder and bright flashes.
My early riser husband had already taken a shower and had been chopping wood and I could hear him hastily throw it together to get a fire going.
Yes, he is too manly, I guess, to let a thunderstorm send him running for cover. (He assumed he was safe because of all the tall trees...)
And soon the downpour started. The girls were awake now and they looked out the flap of the tent to see him sitting faithfully under the large umbrella, stoking the fire. And how the fire kept going with all that rain, I'm still not sure!

After a few hours, though, the rain stopped and we went off to find what I had read about-
The Bat Barn.

But before I get to that, as we parked our car in the equestian section to go hiking over to this barn, we saw some folks with their horses at their trailer.
Knowing how much our girls love horses but rarely have access to them, we walked over and my husband asked if it was OK if they pet them.
It was a lady with her grown daughter and grandson, and they smiled and told us yes.


The older lady turned out to be so friendly and generous...telling the girls they could feed the gentlest horse, Buck, some apples after showing them how...

and then even offering to have each of the girls sit on him.

It was a totally unexpected treat for us all and we felt so grateful to happen upon this nice lady and her family! And then she mentioned that it was her birthday...and here she was spreading joy to youngsters in honor of her special day.

Now, look closely and you may see that my oldest is holding her beloved stuffed horse! My youngest, too, had brought her toy horse, as well...not even expecting to come near any real horses! Was that not just perfect!?

From there, we were off down the trail to see the bat barn. This is a barn that use to be used for horses, but when it was discovered that it was a rare nesting sight for mother bats and their babies, they allowed the bats to have it.

That is the barn in the very first photo above, as we began our walk.
Finally we came to it...


As you can see, it is all boarded up and surrounded by sticker bushes...with little round holes that you can't see here, where the bats fly in and out.
They had some signs with information on them right in front...

and we learned that sometimes mama bats fly out at night for food with their one baby clinging to them. They only have one baby at a time and the bond is strong.

So, needless to say, we couldn't actually see any bats.
But it was kind of interesting knowing they were all in there!

Soon, it was back on the trail to go back to the campsite to pack up everything.



Yep...hubby and I agreed that one night was long enough this time.
The girls, however, were not at first happy with this decision since they apparently like camping in storms. But with a promise of a Happy Meal on the way home as consolation prize, all was well.

That, and a little rest...with dreams of galloping over the trails...

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your girls were VERY brave to sit on a horse named BUCK! LOL

Glad you had a good time, storms and all! :o)

I feel like a mama bat.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Hey there Tammy,

That story could very well have been mine....sounds just like something our family would endure. I remember camping a week when I was a teenager and it rained ALL week. We had mud squishing between our toes walking from tent to tent....water dripped on me through our leaking tent (not my favorite vacation, I'll guarantee you!)

But your family sounds alot like ours! One of our favorite past times together in the car on trips is playing the someone start the story and the next one carries on, or the I went to the store and bought a (start with letter A & add to it remembering the one before). I guess we should be thankful that we're all that easily entertained, huh?

I loved this story and I also loved the ending with the kids sleeping peacefully in the car on the way home. I have dozens of pictures the same way....only as they get older, they fall asleep with earphones in their ears! (That would be my son) lol!

Thanks for the great true life story! You have a wonderful family! And I love your style of writing too! :)

Have a great week too!
Tammy

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
I remember camping in the rain a few times and it's not nearly as much fun as nice sunny days. I promise you that you will remember this trip many years down the road though!
Sounds like you had some fun family times despite everything.
Precious photo of your sleepy one :)
xo

gail@more than a song said...

I'm glad y'all didn't float away in your tent! Or have it leak inside, that's not fun at all.
Cute pictures with the big horse and their horses!

Shirley said...

How fun that your girls got to sit on a horse - what a thrill for them, I'm sure!
I grew up with horses and am hoping that someday we may have them here ... the house has to be finished first. :)
Shirley

Carla said...

Yes I believe those little mircales are are glimpses to strenghten our faith! How wonderful you were aware and recognized it! How cool to see horses, and a wonderful horse woman that would share so. How cool is that bat barn! I bet its something at dusk. Kudos to you for memory making with your babies!

Anonymous said...

I loved your camping adventure. My only aquaintence with horseback riding was a bit scairy since I was a novice. Our senior class at high school went horse back riding. My horse KNEW that I was an inexperienced rider & took advantage by galloping when He wanted to & stoping to eat grass when He wanted to. I was sore the next day. I do love hosed though & love to see them.
RUTH

Dawn said...

Sounds like a wonderful time... rain and all!

Blessings!
Dawn

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Tammy,

Well you certainly did have a very eventful camping trip:-) I'm glad you all didn't get washed away with the tent!! I remember camping with my family...my mom did NOT find it amusing being stuck in a tent with 5 kids when it was pouring rain! lol

How wonderful that you should come across that lady with her horses and that she even let the girls get on the back of one! I bet they loved that experience:-)

A bat barn....not too sure if I'd enjoy getting too close to that! lol Isn't it fun, though, to be able to see a place you've heard about in person!! xoxo

Dawn said...

What a great adventure for the girls - and what a good object lesson on God's care for us - and for giving us serendipities!

Love the last picture.

As for bats - I am not a fan!

Denise said...

I have had some camping experiences and you make me want to share........ ahhahah maybe another day........ glad you did not float away and don't you just love seeing the little ones sound asleep in the back seat! Kind of like the icing on the cake..... Great story!

Have a blessed week.....

Susan said...

I'm sure the lady was as blessed as you and the kids were to share her horses. You guys always have a good time. That is what "family" is all about.
Susan

Justabeachkat said...

One night in the rain would have been enough for me too. It sounds like your were all still able to make some good memories.

Hugs!
Kat

Mary said...

Tammy,

What an experience. Tell your husband that being near trees when it's lightning is not a good thing to do.

Glad you enjoyed your time and the horse pics are delightful. I'm sure the girls had a great time.

Drop by my Writing Nook and enter your name in my Harvest Giveaway.

Blessings,
Mary

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story. Isn't it funny how God leads things to our paths to greet us.Such as a dear lady with horses.He knows just want we need and when we need it.
Loved your story.
Hugs. Lisa

Michelle said...

it still sounds like you were able to have a nice time despite the thunderstorms!

Could you please email me when you get the chance? mdbeau98 AT yahoo dot com.

thanks!

Linda said...

We camped in a tent years ago when the kids were small. It was a real adventure! I love thunder storms when I am tucked into my cozy bed - inside the house! Out in a tent is just a teensy bit scarey.
The trip looks just wonderful Tammy. It was a great thing to do before settling back into the routine of school.

Susanne said...

We have our own crazy tent and thunderstorm stories to tell! Hubby and I are definitely warm bed, hot shower types. LOL.

The bat barn is interesting. Too bad they only come out at night. BTW, we also have crazy bat stories, maybe I'll post sometime. LOL.

Midlife Mom said...

I am so glad that your girls got a chance to pet the horses and even sit on one! It's always such a treat for kiddos that don't have a chance to see horses very often. When we are riding we always stop if there are kids that want to pat our horses as it's so much fun to watch their faces.
The bat house is really interesting. I used to have one of those small bat houses on the side of our camp. Don't know if we ever got any or not but I think they are very interesting creatures. I didn't know that they take their young with them on feeding expeditions! Great info!

Momma Roar said...

Fun times!

Happy meals help a lot around here too! ;-)

Pamela said...

I love being cozy under some kind of protection while the storm rages.
But I think you went to the top for your protection. The Rock!

I went on a bird walk one day and the leader told us about the bats migration through our valley (no one knew about it until a few years ago when the wind mill/powers grid was going up and an environmental impact study was done which included night observation of bird flight)