
Well, I almost feel as though I took an unplanned bloggy break! I am so far behind in visiting all of you, and hope to do some catching up...but I thought I'd better at least check in here and say hello!
Last week, the girls had Vacation Bible School. It's a strange feeling for this home schooling mom to drive them to "school" every morning by 9:00 and have them gone for three hours! But it was a nice little change of pace, and the girls absolutely love going every year.
Then, Saturday morning, all of the clan on hubby's side of the family headed out to the beach for their aunt's 80th birthday and big family reunion.
I was excited to go and see everyone...and to see the ocean itself, since it had been awhile for me!
The weather was a little windy, and the sun would keep peeking out from behind the clouds every half hour or so, and then go back into hiding, but the weather was actually much better than I had heard it would be, so I was thrilled.
But back to the family... my husband's aunt had come from miles away and her children went in together and rented a beach house for several weeks as a gift to her. I'm still not sure why they always choose the Oregon coast for these occasions, since so many come from all over the country- but it certainly works well for us!
And because my husband and all of his many siblings no longer have their parents, being with extended family and honoring their mother's sister on this milestone birthday was a special event.
Aunt J. is such a gracious, young and vibrant woman at 80! I had her pose with my husband, just before we were leaving...
Half-way through, our girls began playing with a never-before-met second cousin who is the
same age as my oldest. She and her family came all the way from Virginia and the three girls became fast friends. When it was time for us all to part, I suggested maybe these two nine year old cousins could become penpals, and it seems I must have hit on a good idea...e-mail addresses were promptly exchanged. (OK, not the kind where they can practice their penmanship, but hey...)
And as someone who has recently discovered cousins of my own, I was so tickled that the girls got to meet some new cousins they didn't know they had, too!
In fact, I think everyone had such a super time...
there were skits that the kids put on...

Old fashioned potato sack races...
And a kite to fly... 
Not to mention, so much food that they were sending it home with everyone. Ribs in particular.
They were packing the leftovers and loading our cars with it as we would leave...I felt a little like the Flintstones when that big side of ribs is plunked onto their car and it tips it over.
But honestly, it was such a nice, relaxing time. This large extended family as a whole seemed to possess that rare combination of warmth, casualness, wholesomeness- and with just a tiny dash of elegance thrown in.
It was good to chat with so many we seldom see...or as in the case of most of the children- never met before!
And nice to simply stroll on the beach during one of the sun breaks, as the strong sea breeze blew at us.
Now, far be it for me to pass rumors around, but there is some talk about the family camping trip possibly changing over to a rental house at the beach next year. At least for part of it. Could it be true??? After decades of the same old campground???
Dare I really hope?
Is it too early to start packing???








19 comments:
Looks like lots of fun! I hope I'm gracious and vibrant at that age too!
Oops, I accidently hit publish before I finished. Silly me. I was going to say that it's so nice of the family to honor her that way. All coming together for a celebration to mark a huge milestone in her life. What a special family you have!
Well is there anywhere better then the oregon coast for these things? Hope I think not. Lol. Glad you had fun!
Fun Fun Fun! Glad everyone was in good spirits-Especially Mother Nature! Family IS so important!
The Oregon coast is so beautiful! Sounds like you had a barrel of fun on the beach. :~D
Isn't it funny how you can suddenly find yourself on an unplanned blogging break just because life happens? LOL
I'd take a beach house rental over a camping trip any time, for sure. How wonderful her family rented that beach house for her. I'll bet it was her best birthday ever which is saying a lot since she's had EIGHTY of them.
Cracks me up that the cousins are going to be "pen" pals by exchanging email addresses. My word, times have changed!
Do you see that word hope in my first comment? I have no idea why thats there! Im losing my mind I guess!
You'd see me jumping up and down with my hand raised in support of a beach house, too! Hope you get your wish next year!
Stop by and visit... I had told you one time that I would tell how hubby and I met. Yesterday was our anniversary and I told the story in honor of the day.
Blessings!
I would dearly love to go camping again, (as long as it was at a cabin or beach house. Coincidentally there is a column in the local paper about kid trips & the columnist wrote about their families getting together & renting a beach house. Lucky for her because at least one of her children is small she was assigned the downstairs area where she had access to a washer & dryer This proved to be advantageous because the way there,her youngest got car sick.
RUTH
Sounds like a fabulous family get together. How wonderful they come from everywhere to gather together. The beach house for the next reunion sounds like a great idea. Your Oregon coast is so beautiful, but then I never met a beach I didn't love!!
Hope your summer is full of fun!!
xoxo
I have been longing to go to the ocean again; it's been such a long time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful time Tammy.
I think family reunions are so special. We haven't had one in years, and I miss that closeness they seem to bring.
Wow...it looks like you all had a great time. I love it that your girls are going to pen pal across the country. It's so neat for kids to get to know extended family.
And I'm hoping your beach rental dream comes true for your sake. That just cracked me up!!
Hugs,
Susan
Well, I for one hope they change it to an inside spot! I am with you on that.
They sound like a great family - you are fortunate that they love coming to Oregon - even if it is breezy and chilly!
I wish someone would plan a family reunion for us.
I did it for about 10 years and I'm worn out.
Children putting on shows is great fun. I love their imaginations.
Sounds like a wonderful, special time.
Susan
That looks like a wonderful time with all the family! I have a very vibrant aunt that just turned 80 that is more like my grandmother! I love her spirit and she doesn't look 80 either!
I know what you mean...I can't hardly get used to "dropping" my kids off at anything...I'm so used to them being with me!
A beach house sounds really nice...let's see...camping vs. beach house....that's easy! :)
Tammy (the other one)
Sounds like such a great time. I like nothing better then a big get together with family, doesn't matter whether it's mine or Hubby's. I would vote for the beach house too. I am NOT a camper, never saw a tent that I liked, hate bugs, need electricity, you name it! lol!
We were just talking about how fun it would be to go to a cottage with our married kids next summer.
Being together with family is such sweet time.
Post a Comment