Friday, August 29, 2008

Weekly Attitude Check

Although my week had it's negative moments for me, I am beginning to realize there are so many blessings if I just open my eyes.

But first, let me list for you...


Things I didn't like this week:


*Having to see the dentist for the third time this month, only to have him tell me that it looks like he has to refer me for a root canal. My second one in the last two years. Yay.

*Finding a dead mouse in the large bag of dog food out in the garage.

*Meeting with a new family with five children for a park play date only to have my two be the only ones who got one "owie" after another, complete with crying and whimpering.

*Having to do overtime cleaning the house from top to bottom Thursday because we were having company the next day and messes had gotten out of hand....all this after getting up early to go to the dentist.
Let's just say that by that evening I felt a little cranky.

Things I DID like this week:

*Having a lovely clean house today!

*Having said company...another new friend and her little girl, and enjoying just the best time chatting with this mom for hours and getting to know her better. (Plus, having her bless me with a frappicino!)

*Being able to get by with just an occasional advil until the dreaded root canal with very little discomfort...and being blessed with insurance to cover part of it!

*Being thankful that the dead mouse in the dog food was in the garage...and not inside the house!

I am feeling much more blessed than I did just a day or so ago. God has a way of turning negative experiences around sometimes into blessings....especially when we work on our own attitudes!


Have a great Labor Day weekend!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I do not like those dental vists either. I'm so glad you recieved so many Blessings this week. Have a great long weekend.
((((Hugs)))) Lisa

Carla said...

The blessings are there if we (I) stop and look, huh? I would be thankful the mouse was dead and not alive staring at me! ugh!

Linda said...

I needed to read this today Tammy. I have been feeling a bit "whiny" lately because things haven't seemed to be going the way I'd like them to. I felt that gentle tug to count my blessings instead, and then I read your encouraging post. I think the Lord is trying to tell me something!

Susanne said...

Oh I love the thanful take on the dead mouse! Blessings are there if we just take the time and look. It's so easy for me to start dwelling on everything going wrong but it helps me to purposefully take a moment and find those blessings. I have much better attitude then. Hope your tooth is fixed quickly and pain free!

groovyoldlady said...

We all have weeks like that. Thatnks for being so transparent and thanks for turning from blue to gold with your thankful heart!

Anonymous said...

A great reminder to count our blessings. I like the saying "Don't sweat the small stuff"
When one thinks about the suffering that so many are enduring in various parts of the world, we can be thankful for where we live & what we have.
RUTH

Jill said...

And I thought I was the only one with multiple root canals in the last few years. The endodontist is literally 2 minutes from my house so I can always "limp" home and wallow in my root canaled sorrow. Hope it goes OK.

Susan said...

Oh dear, the dead mouse would have sent me over the edge.

I hope things turn out well at the Dentist. Those root canals are just not fun.

Praying you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your week.

Hugs,

Susan

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

It IS a matter of prospective, isn't it Tammy? It's like your glass being half empty or half full! I love your post!

(But the dead mouse would creep me out!)

Hugs,
Tammy

Anonymous said...

We really do have to look for the blessings, they are always there.

My week has been rough dealing with a migraine and now a sinus infection, but I kept telling myself that is was not as bad as the pain from my tooth a couple of months ago. You can be so thankful that you are not in deep pain needing an emergency root canal.

I'm choosing today to find blessing in the mix of not feeling 100%. Thanks for the reminder that the list of God's graciousness is never ending.

gail@more than a song said...

I hope you're having a good weekend, not too much pain and I certainly hope no more mice! Good thing it was outside but I wouldn't have liked finding it either.
Thanks for the reminder to look for and see our blessings!

Carole Burant said...

Ugh...you just had to say the D word, eh? lol I keep telling my dentist that it's nothing personal but I really don't enjoy visiting him! lol I've never had a root canal but I do hear they can be painful.

Isn't it funny how we don't tend to see the bright side of things until we sit down and think how much worse it could be! I guess we should make a habit of looking for that bright side, how much easier our days would be:-) xoxo

Susannah said...

Eek! Root canals... glad you survived your ordeal.

Oh my. A dead mouse. Our cat brings those in from time to time. Never pleasant!

So glad your week is over, and all things worked together for good. Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend, Tammy. (((Hugs)))

Susan said...

The choice is always ours....whether to see the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty. I've found the glass 1/2 full is always SOOO much better.
Susan

Denise said...

I hate going to the dentist!!! I just hate it....... BUT I love love love a nice clean house!!!!!!! My life is full of blessings!!!!!!!! My cup runneth over!!!!!

Dawn said...

I've read a couple of other posts today about rough days. Glad you're feeling better.

A mouse in the dog food - yuck!

Are you back in full swing with school?

Anonymous said...

Root canal... Dead mouse.

Root canal... Dead mouse.

I'd rather scrub the toilet.

Dawn said...

Glad you were able to see both sides of your day. I think attitudes are a choice. I'm just not always good at making wise choices! Ha!

Blessings!
Dawn

Midlife Mom said...

My cats proudly present me with a mouse or mole every so often, YUCK! The have a kitty door so they can bring them inside!!! (Make note to self, remove kitty door!)
Yes we all have soooooooooo much to be thankful for. We have been blessed over and over and I know I for one am not thankful enough even though I try to be conscious of it.
Great post Tammy!

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
That root canal would have me cranky too!
The blessings in life are everywhere and it doesn't take any more energy to look for the positive side than it does to find the negative one.
Have a wonderful week!
xoxo

Michelle said...

Sorry about the root canal -and the dead mouse - ewww! But at least you were able to find the good in your week!

Pamela said...

yes. the mouse could have been alive. Although I'm not really afraid of mice, I find that I jump quickly when I first am surprised!