Friday, August 01, 2008

Show and Tell #19



I'm a little late this morning, but I wanted to join in on Show and Tell Friday, hosted by Kelli at There is No Place Like Home!

For those of you who know me by now, it's no surprise that today, I'm showing something from my childhood. Yes, it's no wonder that my oldest never wants to part with any of her things for sentimental reasons- she certainly comes by it naturally!


This time I wanted to show you one of my stuffed animals, and just why it has a special connection to my past.


Meet George...

I named him George when I was little, because my grandfather, George gave him to me.

I have to admit, that at the time, he wasn't one of my favorites...my delicate little girl tastes wasn't much into plaid back then, and besides- I had such a big menagerie of animals, he was just one of many.

Still, even then, I knew I couldn't give him up because he was given to me by my paternal grandfather, who died when I was only two and a half.

In fact, not only did I not get to know my grandfather George very well, I grew up not knowing a whole lot about him in general. He had left my grandmother for another, and then she remarried, so she and her husband were the main grandparents in my life.

But recently, I had taken an interest in my ancestry, and realized I didn't know anything about his childhood, his parents...nothing.
(Above, one of my favorite pictures of my dad with his father, George. I've heard that my dad- an only child- always had a hard time trying to be close to him, and trying to please him...but I love that this captures the best of their relationship.)

I put a posting on the website, ancestry.com and last summer, an unknown distant cousin contacted me, e-mailing me with tons of information about him and our ancestry! I was SO excited...(I posted about it here, with an excerpt of a letter my g-grandmother had written.)

Then a few months ago, another cousin found me, and sent via snail mail a big packet of information!
They each did this out of the goodness of their hearts, and I was so blessed!

Interstingly, each of my newfound cousins knew my grandfather's brothers, but not much was said about George.

I'm beginning to think he that he was a very private man... but at least I know a little bit more now. And I have a treasure trove of ancestry information, thanks to two very generous, newly met cousins.

And now that I'm all grown up, I do think I love George the Dog so much more!

Take another pose, George....


26 comments:

Momma Roar said...

Oh, I do LOVE stories like these.

I share your interst - but haven't dug into it too much yet. We both live where a lot of our ancestors did, so I did drive to the cemeteries to take pictures of their tombstones to have their dates of birth/death and found siblings surrounding them.

I think George is wonderful!!

Dianna said...

Awww, how cute! How could you not love him?

Carla said...

How wonderful he survived to tell the tell! How cool that this little dog reminds you of someone you recently made a link with. I love family history!

Anonymous said...

LOVE George! I had a monkey named Zippy! :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.

I love family history, old photos and letters.

George looks pretty good too. Our cat is a George too :)

A Hint of Home said...

What a sweet story. I'm glad you still have George. Great memories.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I remember those big dogs! They came in different colors :). What a great story, for you to find out so much years later, good luck in your family search.

Have a Wonderful Evening!
Kathi :)

Linda said...

George looks like a very sweet little guy. I think it's wonderful that you're gathering so much information about your family Tammy. I really enjoy hearing the old stories about the people I never really got to know when I was younger. Their lives are fascinating - and great fodder for writing books!

Anonymous said...

George is definitely your connection to your grandfather. My maternal grandfather passed away when I was 6 weeks old and gave my mom the blue panda bank (my first show and tell 3 weeks ago). See what a similar story we have?
Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

Very sweet! I had a similar animal but I wasn't as creative in the naming. It was a white rabbit. What did I name it? White Rabbit. (Yep, seriously.)

Come by my place and see why today is a special day... there's even a giveaway!

Blessings!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Thank you for coming by my blog yesterday. I tried so hard to come by yours last evening, but there was something goofy in blogland. Seems better now! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Tammy,

That is sweet! It's amazing that you've kept him all this time! I still have a few things from when I was a little girl and I do treasure them!

I love all the old photos too!

Have a great Saturday
Tammy

Jill said...

I love stories like this. The only grandparent I knew was my mom's mother. But my mom has a cousin who is BIG TIME into ancestry research and I've learned a lot that way.

BTW- Yes, you are the Tammy that won the Border's card and book. And it is a book of your choice.

Thanks so much for being such a wonderful blogging friend.

Anonymous said...

What a precious doll, and I love the story that goes with it!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh, what a cutie pie your George is! Sweet post too.

Hugs!
Kat

Little April said...

AHH I love George! Thanks for sharing him.

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot that the dog you had was given to you by your grandfather & that his name was George. (the name would have given me a clue). Your dad & I spent a lot of time with him after we moved to San Diego, & we went several places in Mexico & in California with him & his wife. Your grandfather was the first person I met after your dad & I were married. I'll have to tell you more about that sometime.
Oops password problem agian.
Ruth

Mary said...

Tammy,

What a lovely show and tell. I enjoyed seeing the old photos and reading the story of George, your stuffed dog.

Thanks for sharing.
Blessing,
Mary

Dawn said...

Very interesting. I didn't know there was such a resource - we need to know more about our Swedish background - wonder if we could find it there.

Thanks for your kind words on what "I Used To Do!" Wish I still had that kind of energy - I suppose the ability is still hidden there inside me somewhere.

Susan said...

I love it that you have this little piece of that relationship, Tammy! I remember stuffed animals that looked like this.

It's a great story and so neat that you are uncovering pieces of your history. My Dad does a lot with Ancestry.com for our family. I am amazed at the connections that have happened there.

Hugs,

Susan

Kelli said...

Awww...George is so sweet and what a wonderful story!
~Kelli

Kathy said...

How cute is George! A wonderful story too. How great that you have been able to track down some relatives!
Kathy

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

I'm always impressed with how much detail you can give about things from your past! You have a wonderful memory!

Susannah said...

What a fantastic story. Family history is soooo fascinating, isn't it? And people are so kind to share what they know with other distant family members.

Recently, I re-packed all our daughter's stuffed animals. (Sniff, sniff.) Maybe some day she'll blog about one of them, just as you have about George. Now that's an amazing thought!

Hugs, e-Mom

Susanne said...

Gotta love plaid! Too cute!

Carole Burant said...

Oh Tammy, such a wonderful post to read...I can now see why George will always hold a special place in your heart:-) How wonderful that those cousins contacted you and sent you so much information about your ancestors. It's a shame they didn't know much about your grandfather, though...as you say, he was probably a very private man who didn't let many get too close to him. Love the pictures!! xoxo