
One of my husband's sisters, who now lives in Mexico doing counseling and foster care work as a missionary, comes back home every summer- just to join in on the camping trip.
Imagine...traveling thousands of miles just to camp when I purposely chose not to camp.
But for my husband's family, it is a tradition that dates back decades...and is their way of bonding with each other in the ever changing years.
I haven't yet seen her this year (just spoke to her on the phone) but will be definitely visiting her before she heads back.
Because I genuinely like "Auntie A."
And because I want to know how she braided my girls' hair into a million little braids, changing hair styles on them almost every day...especially when my youngest screams when I even approach her with a brush in one hand and tangle spray in the other.
When the girls mentioned their braids in one of their phone calls, I told them to tell Daddy to take lots of pictures.
I was tickled when they came back to find that he did...


And the one that makes me smile...
Just look at those tight, tight braids.
When I first saw this, I almost asked, "Who ARE these children?"
When I greeted them with hugs and kisses last Saturday, they were indeed still sporting a sort of Jamaican thing each. And let me tell you, if how it took to UNbraid it all is any indication, then all of these do's took Auntie A. a looooooooooong time to achieve.
Anyway, great job, Auntie A. Not only did the braids actually prevent the dreaded"Camping Tangles", but you succeeded in having my youngest allow you to comb and braid her tender hair follicles every single day.
Yep, great job. We're definitely going to have to talk...








22 comments:
HOw fun! Love the pics and cant to do posts like this one day
Those braids are beautiful. What a great job she did. I love braiding hair.
Your girls looked sweet. I hope it will be easier now to get them to let you do their hair.
Now that is some talent. And so CUTE!
They look sweet! I never did learn how to french braid even though as a girl my sisters and I wore our hair in braids every single day!
What a great Aunt. I wish she was around here to teach me a thing or two:)
Those French braids are gorgeous! I did learn how to do that for my daughter... I'd forgotten. :~D
You probably enjoyed all the neat kinks when you took them out too.
Hugs!
Awwww...what a fun memory for your little girls. My family camped all the time when we were younger...and my brother and I recently visited the campground which looks NOTHING like what I remember. Still we spent many summers there with extended family sweating, swatting, and swimming together. It was great fun for me then...
Susan
Hi Tammy,
What beautiful braids your SIL did! I can remember when I was their age, I had waist length hair and my Mom would do French braids. They were so tight that my head would hurt. (but they lasted for several days!)
xoxo
Oh and I bet she had fun doing it, too. :) My daughter finally likes doing stuff with her hair ... but now she wants to do it all by herself :(
Blessings!
Shirley
What beautiful braids on two lovely little gals! Years ago when we were still into horse shows I had to braid all the girls hair to go under their riding helmet. I can't seem to do it now, lost the touch!!! My granddaughter HATES to have her hair combed anyhow and probably wouldn't let me!
I could never master the French braid, and it was all the rage when my oldest was younger. I chalked it up to more non-homemaking skills. Braiding hair is related to hostessing.
LOL at the very least it was a fashionable camping trip!!!
Don't they look so cute! She definitely should show you how to do that. I used to french braid my girls' hair some but it never quite looked that good.
Love the braids. I used to braid lots of girls hair because I was good at it and they asked me. Antie A did a great job.
She must have had so much fun doing that with your girls - Feisty and Care Bear have recently become acquainted with an aunt who does their hair beautifully - and they won't let Kristen or me touch their heads. I should take pictures.
My Kenyan DIL spends her week-ends doing micro-braids on all of the AFrican and African-American girls and women around here - she gets so much business by word of mouth - (and they'd have to drive at least 50 miles to find a shop) and does a beautiful job.
I wouldn't have believed it, but pictures don't lie. Aunty A did the impossible with our littlest muchkins
What beautiful girls! Love their sweet hair do's. Looks like a fun day...Kathy
Hi Tammy! A fine job indeed. When we went to Mexico 2 yrs ago Abby got corn rows. It was really fun!
Hm... Beats the pony tails I used to give my kid sister. She always complained that they were so tight her eyes were slanted! LOL
Beautiful girls! :o)
my girls hated it when I tried to do braids, etc. in their hair. Had I been able to do what aunti A has done, I'm sure it would have been a different story.
Awwwww...the girls look precious! It's amazing how kids will let others do things that they whine about at home. LOL
Hugs!
Kat
Gorgeous hair! I never did like playing with hair, that's probably why mine is short.
Post a Comment