Hello and Welcome to the Home School Open House! Today I'm going to show you two themes that we've been working on lately. But first let me begin by explaining that there are so many ways to home school...
Some people pick one curriculum that tells them exactly what to do on a given day or week.
Others (like me!) choose different workbooks for different subjects and supplement various projects on their own.
I like this approach personally because it appeals to "teacher" in me. Back in college I did major in Elementary Ed. and then later taught preschool...so although I'm not always so creative, I do enjoy trying to be!
Plus, I'm the type that doesn't like having to follow a strict schedule...it makes me feel hindered and sometimes even stressed.
But I realize others that home school actually appreciate having a schedule...or else they get stressed!
And that's the beauty of home schooling to me- finding what best fits your family's personality and learning styles.
Anyway...on with the show!
On top of our regular workbooks we do for "reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic" I chose a fun "Polar Region" theme. It's been fun to try to adapt this for both of my girls ages. (6 and 9). We've been learning about where the polar regions are and what animals live nearby, ect. Here is one of the unit study books I'm using...
It seemed to appeal to both of them, despite their age gap...and in fact, when I would stop they would beg me to keep reading! :) And here is a sample of the world map they made with animals of the regions. (This one made by my 6 yr old.)And today...
n honor of President's Day, we only did a little school work since the public school kids did have off...but it was all related to either George Washington or presidents in general!
I simply printed out some worksheets I found off the computer and then read out of this book I picked up awhile back: "George Washington's Birthdays" by Wilma Pitchford Hays.
I only printed out three pictures (Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln) and the rest are names written on "cherries".
I hope you enjoyed another peek into our school at home! I'm looking forward to seeing what a few of you are up to, as well!
Also, hope all of you had a wonderful Valentine's weekend! Blessings!








21 comments:
Thanks for sharing your open house. It sounds like fun. Maybe I can add something.
Blessings,
Dawn
I think it is so wonderful you are doing this for the Home Schooling mom's Tammy. Keep up the good work.
Susan
P.S. You know the word the Lord gave me for this year is "unity". This is what unity is all about, even here in our Blogland world, each "body part" as the Bible refers to it, doing their part. You are and that is so important!!!
Susan
Tammy,
I enjoyed seeing what you have been doing with your girls. Have them come over to my blog with you if you have time. I have a quiz up for Black History Month and there's a giveaway.
Thanks for inviting me to take part.
Blessings,
Mary
Tammy,
That all looks like alot of fun and it sounds like your homeschooling methods are similiar to ours! I like having a guideline, but could never follow a schedule exactly...it's too restricting for me!
We are also reading from a Magic School Bus book too...the one on the Solar System. We love those books!
Your girls look like they're having lots of fun...and I love the Presidential Tree!
Thanks again for hosting and for giving us a glimpse into your homeschooling!
Hugs,
Tammy (the other homeschooling one)
Looks like you are having lots of fun and I love your themes!
Mandy
Hello dear Tammy:-)
I'm finally back in the land of blogging, after having had Steve here for a few days I didn't get a chance to do any visiting so blame him! lol
Not knowing much about home schooling, I'm really finding it interesting reading your posts on the subject. Like you, I don't like being on a strict schedule so I would have most probably done exactly what you do. I love the extras that keep them interested and no doubt they are certainly learning well!! xoxo
Hi, Mommy!
Yesterday was really fun! :)
Thank-you for helping us do that craft! I really enjoyed it!
Maybe even later today I can comment on your very first post!-Which was about two and a half years ago.:) I was about about 7 years old. So there probably be something mentioned about us at that age.
I love you!!! :)
Me:)
Thanks for sharing, Tammy! I am planning to participate ... sometime :) The main reason is that we are in really cramped quarters, so the home school "room" is also the dining table/game room/office/whatever else. LOL!
I, too, am just sort of ad-hoc in my approach. I can't justify spending that much money on a fixed curriculum (that I'm not even sure I would like), so I just pick and choose from different things. I will have to participate next time and share more :)
How often do you do the home school open house?
Ah, such industry for all of you! I love your enthusiasm for all things "school."
Smart of you to put Mister Linky right at the top of your post. :~D
AWESOME! LOVE the polar bears! :o)
Hi Tammy,
I so enjoyed reading about your home school studies.
Your girls did a great job with the earth map and the animals!
When I was in school we celebrated both Lincoln and Washington's birthdays (each had their own day)
Maybe I've told you this already, but my Grandma always baked a cherry pie on the 22nd (which was Washington's birthday) to help us remember that he chopped down the cherry tree.
Fun memories!
xo
Susie, I actually plan to bake a cherry pie on the 22nd for the first time! :) We're going to our life group Bible Study on that day and thought it would be perfect! How great that your grandmother use to do that every year! :)
what fun! I love all the resources available to you home schoolers! I would have to have a schedule to make sure things actually get done, and so admire you self motivators!
Hi Tammy! Oh the books look like the ones I used to read as a child. I'm feeling better thanks sweetie, still on antibiotics. Glad Summer is over and I don't feel compelled to swim... :-)
Tammy
I enjoyed my visit to your Home School open house.It looks like you are doing a great job schooling your girl's. My oldest daughter loves history. The Presidential tree is a great idea.
Take care. Lisa
I like to gather different curriculum too. But, I've got to have a schedule, or I will get quite distracted from school time.
That's what makes homeschooling great...being able to customize it to your own family.
hi tammy. i'm so glad to be back blogging. just quick thing. i have a new web addy. i also have a giveaway - my first ever. hope to see you there. =D
oops... here's my new site. http://www.piasjournal.com
Thanks so much for sharing, it is really fun to see what works for different families. We also homeschool our children. I was homeschooled as a child, so I always knew that I wanted to homeschool our kids.
Blessings,
Kimberly
I really do enjoy reading ideas from other homeschool moms - its just that thing needed to spark an idea!! I hope to participate again - I may, actually, try to start posting some school stuff on Saturdays - just so I have it recorded on my blog.
Have a great weekend!!
Post a Comment