Saturday, February 07, 2009

To Slumber or Not to Slumber



Unless you're one of my "facebook friends" you may have wondered if I fell off the face of the earth.
But I'm here....it just been one of those busy weeks in mommy-dom.

Between their new children's choir schedule beginning again, violin lesson, rec center classes, check up with their new dentist, Missionettes, Missionette slumber party and...oh yes, doing actual school work...we've had a pretty full plate this week.

Now, don't worry...I know all about the dangers of over-scheduling, so I am always mindful of not piling too much on our to-do lists and try to make room for plenty of down time...for ALL of us.
But this was just one of those weeks.

What about the sleepover, you ask?

Well...both girls were suppose to spend the night at the Missionettes sleepover, but my six year old kept fluctuating between being excited and just plain terrified.
Finally she decided to go...I got both girls packed and my husband and I took them to the church. But soon, my youngest was falling apart over the slightest thing...then she was fine...then she was in tears again saying she didn't think she could do this.

And looking around, my mother instinct told me she was right.
Although first graders were allowed to stay without a parent, I really didn't see any other first graders there. She was so tiny...trying to fit in with the "big girls".

Plus, I had a feeling everyone was going to stay up very
very late.
She has a very sweet small group leader that was going to be watching out for her, but I knew that this just wasn't going to be her year. She was completely overwhelmed!

And really, if you're going to do your first slumber party, it helps if you're in a small group of friends and in an actual homey atmosphere. And as nice as this particular church is, it is also a vast building...with loud noise and a lot of strangers -not exactly conducive to feeling secure and cozy.

She felt such conflicting emotions, poor thing...so disappointed that she wasn't staying but yet knowing that she just wouldn't feel right. She was in tears all the way home...but finally cheered a bit when I whipped up some chocolate pudding and then cuddled with her watching Barbie's Island Princess.




I know she's my daughter, alright, when only chocolate and a musical can console her.

As for my oldest, as predicted, she had a wonderful time but didn't "slumber" too much. When I picked her up, the adults looked only a little worse for wear...but only because they each were brought St*rbucks upon awakening.

Probably quadruple espresso lattes...easy on the lattes. ;)

19 comments:

Linda said...

I have missed you Tammy. Sounds like a week chock full of fun things.
I think you are a very wise mama. She will have lots of slumber parties in her future. An evening with you, chocolate pudding and a movie - precious memories.

Susanne said...

Sounds like lots to do but fun too! Big buildings with lots of kids is definitely overwhelming for a first slumber party.

Susie said...

I think you're one very wise Mommy. I think our daughter had her first slumber party at age 8 (but it was here at the house)
Pudding and a movie sounds like perfect soothers..
xoxo

Susan said...

You're such a good mom, Tammy!!!
Susan

groovyoldlady said...

My girls bailed out of a sleep over a couple of weeks ago. It was at a good friend's house and would have been just the three of them (plus Peanut's family, of course). Surprisingly, it was 9 year-old Girly-Girl who vetoed the evening; Silly-Head just followed her lead. However, a few days later they had a NOT-sleepover where they stayed later and watched a movie then got brought home in their jammies after brushing their teeth. That was a success!

We did an overnight at church a year ago, but Mulletman and I slept there too. Nothing like a hard, cold teraaza floor to remind one of homeless refugees!

Pamela said...

good decision. I think six years old is too young for sleep overs, too.

Nadine said...

You've been busy. I can see why your youngest would feel overwhelmed. First time sleepovers can be touch.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Tammy,

Tell her not to feel bad for not staying...Joy still doesn't like to do slumber parties. She is very much a stay-at-home-at-night kind of girl. She has gone to two friend's sleepovers. The first one went great because they stayed up to way up in the morning (it was 4 girls). The second one was just her and another girl and she had a hard time (she called me at 1:00 a.m.), but she stayed.

We've been really busy too...something going on every evening...Whew...they wear me out sometimes!

Blessings,
Tammy (the other one)

Burb Bunny said...

I think we all fare a little better when we trust our instincts. :o)

Brenda said...

Nothing that a little chocolate couldn't cure!
Hope you have a little time this week to relax a bit.
God bless!

Linda said...

Thanks for visiting Tammy! I don't understand what has happened with my bloglines. Half the time my posts don't show up. I've emailed them three times and no response. I'm wondering if I should just start a new account from scratch?
Anyway...thanks again for visiting. It's always so nice to hear from you.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Hey Tammy,

When's the next Home School Open House? Tuesdays are really super busy for us and I thought I'd try to plan ahead and maybe schedule something to post!

Thanks a bunch!
Tammy

Dawn said...

That does seem like an overwhelming setting for the first sleep-over! I know you did the right thing.

I'm having a hard time with this Facebook thing - so many blogging friends seem to have disappeared over there, wherever that is! I have had many invite me to join, but I have such a fear of yet another cyber obsession. Though I'd love to see who would come out of the woodwork of my past!

Mandy said...

You sound like a busy mom right now!

Oh, I can relate to having a child not feel quite comfortable at a sleepover. You handled it very well!

Mandy

Denise said...

Life is so busy and here comes spring and the dirt is already calling me......... Sooooooo it is good to see and that slumber party sounds like a lot of fun !

Carole Burant said...

I know how busy it can be when you have children involved in all types of activities and with you homeschooling as well, it's no wonder you haven't had much time for blogging! It's all things they enjoy doing, though, so at least it's a "fun busy":-)

Awwww your poor little one, I so remember well the very first slumber party I went to...it was at my cousin's house which I'd been to often before but I was still terrified of sleeping over! lol I can't even imagine being in a big building with a lot of people you don't know!!!

Pudding and a movie would soothe me as well! hehe xoxo

gail@more than a song said...

Chocolate and movie musicals, there's nothing better is there!
Sometimes I stay on facebook way too much!

Denise said...

Never had a slumber party......went to a lot.. but never had one at my house...........such fun it sounds.... Sounds like a fun week and you can cat nap now and then....... Mothers like you are soooooooo needed.......... Good job girl..

Jill said...

Bless her heart- I would have been terrified, too. I never did slumber parties at all when I was young. Not my cup of tea... or quadruple latte in this case! ha!