I think it's been way too long since I last participated in Kelli's Show and Tell Friday!Today, I wanted to show one of the old magazines in my collection. Since I was very young- and before I was married- I use to love to browse antique stores for old books and magazines. My favorite magazines were the old fan magazines such as Photoplay, since I have always loved classic movies and movie stars.
But today, I'm going to show you an issue of Life from 1945!
I have always been especially interested in the World War II era, and this one gives us a first-hand peek at the world just as the war was coming to an end.
I really need to go back and read this article again...

And I just love, love the ads!
Take a look at this one touting the latest in General Electric sinks... (click for a better view)
And this next one is truly incredible...An ad for one of the first television sets!
I just love these glimpses into our history....and don't you think that the advertising back then is a lost form of art?OK, now I'm off to go read this magazine again...
For more Show and Tells, visit Kelli and There is No Place Like Home.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
Blessings!








35 comments:
Very interesting! I love going back and reading about things in our history. Thanks for sharing.
I love old magazines because of the ads. I have kept a few special ones also. Thanks for sharing yours.
That's phenomenal. Thanks for sharing your treasure with us. :~D
What a great issue of Life and in great shape!I think the oldest paper item I own is my grandparent's receipt for their honeymoon hotel-1921!
I am a collage artist and my friends and I love to incorporate vintage things in our pieces.
Wow, what a collection!!! Love the picture of Winston!
I love your old magazine collection, Tammy!
~Kelli
Wow! I would be able to spend hours going through your magazines. Love it! My mom had several articles, magazines, etc. about Kennedy and the time surrounding his assination and I was always so enthralled with those when I was little (and they weren't even that old back then, either!)
I think the ads from long ago are such fun to read. You have a real piece of history in this issue!
xo
I also love history. I never did enjoy it in school as I never learned anything but dates! I know I always loved reading biographies and stories set in certain time periods, but now they're we've homeschooled and I've really got into history...we all just love it! My favorite time era was the pioneer days though!
Ya'll have a great weekend, Tammy!
Hugs,
The-other-Tammy-that-loves-history-too!
I just love it! This is the perfect show and tell. It's amazing that you have such a historical issue. I know you love History and I bet you had fun going back to reread the information. The ads are priceless and funny!
What a unique and interesting collection Tammy. I love looking back at that era too.
How cool! I like that era too.
Have a good weekend☺
Wonderful peek into another era. Loved the ads! Thanks.. Cass
I love the old ads, too. I have a 1924 Ladies Home Journal. I have been meaning to share it here on my blog, but keep forgetting - I think I'll have to do it now.
What an incredible collection! Love the history in them.
Kathy
As you know I have always loved History too. Guess it is in the genes.
That why I still have some okld papers on important events.
Love the vintage look .I am into vintage art and pictures and these are great.
Your magazine is awesome! I LOVE old hymnals. :o)
And you didn't say a word about your spiffy new look! :o)
I like looking at old magazines once in awhile too just to laugh at some of the crazy advice they used to dole out.
Those ads are pretty wordy aren't they?
Fun show and tell, Tammy!
That is so cool! I like how the TV looks like a piece of art back then as well! ♥
I love old magazines too and have a stack of old movie magazines to thumb through. It's fun to see the actors and actresses of that time and compare with todays actors.
Nice Show & Tell Tammy. Life Magazine was a must read for most of America.
Susan
Thanks for visiting.
I especially love the ads in old magazines - even more than the articles!
I have a stack of these in my storage unit.. I have got to get them out this summer..... I love the history of the war... I need to take more time to read ....... Lovely post girl.....
Thank you....... and I will remember your Mom when I pray......
shocked at that dishwasher/disposal ad.
My mom didn't have anything like that until the 70's.
She worked so hard. sigh.
Speaking of old magazines - I can remember in the sixties that my dad had the attic full of old farm magazines. They would be worth a fortune. I have no idea what he did with them.
That's just great and amazing to have a magazine from 1945. I love the old ad - complete with mom with coat and gloves.
I love looking back in time like this...thanks so much for sharing it with us...
Blessings,
Susie
Tammy,
I would love to read that article on the lives of Winston Churchill. Can you tell me what edition that is or the date? I would like to search for it.
The winner of the book was Green Gables Girl. I think it was her daughter that actually won. Can you please tell her for me, as her blog is private and she didn't leave an email addy. I'd appreciate it. Have her write me with her address so I can send the book. malward2002[at]yahoo[dot]ca.
Thanks, Tammy. It was fun and I completely forgot to announce the winner on Saturday. It was a hectic weekend here, but that is no excuse.
Thanks again for inviting me to participate. I look forward to the next Open House.
Blessings,
Mary
You would love the auction I go to every Sunday because they always have vintage magazines like that that go up for bids! A couple of weeks ago they had three of them from the 1930's and I loved looking through them to see the ads, that's what interests me the most! lol I should try bidding on them and see if I can win a few for you:-) xoxo
I love to antique as well and I love the world war II era. I knew we had a lot in common! I also like your new site...it has been forever since I've had time to blog or read everyone else's, but I thought I'd stop by.
Take care!
I love all the antique things you collect! So fun to see and learn about!
Hope you are having a good week my friend:).
I love magazines but I usually throw all mine out......I bet your collection could be valuable! You have some neat things you've saved!
Very cool! Those are a one of a kind find. Thanks for sharing. And, I wish the advertising was as innocent as it was back then. I have to "preview" magazines at our house to get rid of all of the smut.
Great magazine! 1945 was just a few years ago-eh? I agree about the ads, a lost form of art.
(love that tv! How cool is that?)
Post a Comment