Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lincoln's 200th Birthday





You may have noticed I'm getting just a tad behind in blogland... in both writing posts and responding to posts!
No, I'm not about to say that I'm closing the door to my blog- at least not at this time. It's too much apart of me.
But I'm definitely having to slow it way down. So bear with me during this busy season...I may post farther apart and be slower in stopping by at all of your blogs... but hopefully you won't give up on me!

Yep, we have yet another busy week this week, I have to confess...
Classes, choir, Missionettes- and a home school Valentine's party!
(Our home school group has grown so much that my girls were busy all evening making almost 60 Valentines each!)



But this week also marks another worthy celebration.
As many of you probably already know, February 12th is the 200th birthday of of one of our greatest presidents, Abraham Lincoln!

Edited to say: In my rush to post this before we rushed out the door this afternoon, I forgot to include the actual link to one of the sites quoting The Gettysburg Address! I also included a tidbit I forgot to mention earlier.

There is an attempt to break the Guinness book of records as people, adults and school children alike, recite the Gettysburg Address simultaneously at around 7:30 am Pacific Time.
For more information, you can check out the website!

And to print out a copy of the Gettysburg Address, you can go here.

I don't about you, but Lincoln is definitely one of my favorite presidents. He was a kind and caring soul, deep in his convictions and a man who apparently sought God both in his personal life and during his presidency.
He was given to deep depression...yet he also had a wonderful sense of humor.

I also wanted to add that when my husband and I lived in the east, we took a trip to Pennsylvania. One of the days was spent at Gettysburg and it is an experience neither of us will ever forget.
We stood at the very place where Lincoln gave his speech...and got to go upstairs to the room which still exists where he hand wrote it the very night before.
Inside that room they have an animatronic Lincoln who sits at the desk with his quill pen, and then stands up to give the speech...my husband and I were the only ones in the room with "Lincoln" and it was both fascinating and a bit eerie!
The whole feeling of the surrounding battlefield was indeed very poignant...and just being there enriched us.

Most of you know the story of the little girl who wrote to Lincoln, expressing her opinion that he might be more likely to be elected if he grew a beard.
He wrote her back...and then took her advice!
When he was speaking at a town in which he knew she was apart of the crowd, he summoned her forth and greeted the blushing girl enthusiastically.
I found this picture of her- age 14- when searching various information on Lincoln...

Not counting the famous Gettysburg Address, here are also a few of my favorite Abraham Lincoln quotes which I came across...

"I leave you, hoping the light of liberty will burn in your bosoms, until you know longer doubt that all men were created free and equal."


"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day."



"...I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."


These quotes- and the last two in particular- show me a man who humbly sought in prayer for guidance and strength while shouldering the heavy weight of the the presidency.

So, join me in celebrating and remembering this great man in history in some way...whether it's reading aloud the Gettysburg Address or simply taking a moment to look at his life!


And a very Happy Valentine's Day to each of you, too!



P.S....Don't forget...the Home School Open House will be up this coming Tuesday, the 17th! Hope you'll join us!

13 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
I understand about busy and have also cut way back on blogging. This was very interesting on President Lincoln. He certainly deserves his own holiday just as it was when I went to school. (Washington also had his own holiday).
Enjoy all those activities and see you on FB :)
xoxo

Mary said...

Tammy,

Have you ever been asked the question, "If you could have dinner with any historical figure, who would you choose?" My answer to that was Abraham Lincoln.

I have studied Lincoln's life and his death. I am currently reading a book titled, "They Have Killed Papa Dead," by Anthony Pitch. If you have a chance, be sure to read it. I'm halfway through and it is fantastic.

Take care and enjoy your kids. We will be here as you post.

Blessings,
Mary

Dawn said...

Wonderful reminders of a wonderful man. Thank you. I have read lately things that are trying to make him into less than he was - sad!

Tammy said...

I realized as I was rushing to get this posted earlier that I left out several important things...such as the link I mentioned, for one!

Yes, Susie...I completely remember when I was in school and we set aside Feb. 12 to learn about Lincoln.

And Mary, that is wonderful for me to learn that he is the one you'd most like to have dinner with...especially knowing that you are Canadian! I guess I'd probably pick him, as well.

Shirley said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminder - Lincoln is definitely my favorite.

How unfortunate that Google chose to put Charles Darwin as their "special day" link instead of Lincoln.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day, too!

Linda said...

I too admire President Lincoln tremendously. I didn't know the story about the little girl. It's sweet. We're studying Esther right now, and it occurs to me that the Lord had Lincoln right where he was "for such a time as this."
We visited Gettysburgh years ago too. It is such a moving place.
Don't worry about the blogging Tammy. It's a delight to visit whenever you have the time.

Mother Mayhem said...

60 valentines EACH? Phew!

Happy (early) Valentine's Day!

Susanne said...

Very, very interesting. I was just telling hubby last night as we were watching a special on Lincoln that you guys, meaning U.S. citizens, seem to have much more of a hold and an interest on your history than us Canadians do. In my observation anyway. I love history and find it fascinating.

Nancy said...

Hi Tammy~ I understand about busy and I don't have two school age children. I just blog maybe twice a week, at most, and then try to visit others in between times. I really don't like rigid schedules and it's hard to come up with stuff to blog about sometimes.

Did you know that there is a movement in this area of NC to try and prove that Lincoln was actually born in NC? There is a little museum in Bostic, NC about 5 miles from my home with a few Lincoln documents, writings from locals, and relatives that are ready to do DNA tests. They say he was born illegitimate in NC, then Lincoln and his mom later moved to Kentucky where she fell in love and married the man that gave Lincoln his last name. The photos of the family in Bostic, that claim to be his ancestors, really do look, strikingly, a lot like Abraham Lincoln. I will try to come up with a link for you. They hold meetings and have public lectures. They even have tours to the actual site sometimes but they try to keep it low key because they don't want the area over run with tourist.

Sorry this is long but I find this fascinating. Now... you can come visit me, see the Blue Ridge Mountains and visit this museum. You can even bring your girls and we can do some joint home schooling while they are here. I can polish up my old teaching skills which would be a blessing indeed!

Nadine said...

I much rather you take breaks when you need rather than have you stop. I would miss you too much.

I've been to Gettysburg and it was very sobering.

Pamela said...

when I was a kid - we still had to memorize that address.

I also noted that G**gle highlighted their log on page with Darwin (the theory of evolution) who shares the same birthday.

Denise said...

I so understand, it is getting so hard to get all things done..... but we are here when we can be........ No pressure here.........

I taught Missionettes for 4 years and then went on to be Y adviser.. Not sure if the AG's still have the Y's but I loved it......

Good post on Lincoln's B-day..... It is good to remember the heroes of times past.....

gail@more than a song said...

That being busy thing happens to everyone! And you have kids at home and homeschool so I know it's even busier at times.
Lincoln is definitely one of our favorites too!