Sunday, October 29, 2006

Glorious Northwest Saturday


First of all, a big thank you to all of you who managed to get through all three parts of our Hawaiian vacation story! (And especially those of you who took the time to comment!) Thank you for taking the "virtual adventure" along with us... but without the actual pain of sunburns or shaking beneath your feet! It's soooo good to be home again. And for the first time in a very long time, I am truly appreciating the vibrant Fall colors like never before!

Saturday afternoon, our family enjoyed an incredible time as we stopped by an "open house" at a small local airport, and then later at one of the local pumpkin patches...at a farm we had never been to before. I have to say that it was a near perfect day...weather-wise and enjoyment-wise. Just plain good. At the little airport, the girls got free trinkets, badges and got to sit in the cockpit of a privately owned plane. A free poloroid was snapped of them, and they later decorated a frame to put them in. Free hot cocoa and cookies and water bottles. All free! and a learning event, to boot!

Then, off to the pumpkin patch in gorgeous farmland.
I was determined to find a place that gave pony rides, since their beloved Alpenrose now closed it's rides this year. And these were even better, in that a teen led each one around the large area of pumpkins, instead of just going around in a little circle. They absolutely loved it!
Actually, there was one large pony and a donkey making the rounds of the field. Lil Cherub got the donkey and she bonded with him right away! She's a true animal lover, through and through.


There were farm animals galore...a Jersey calf to be petted, pigs, goats, chickens, rabbits, cows that bellowed back at us... Just about everything Old McDonald ever had was right there for the kids to see and sometimes touch.
They could also slide down a ripple slide and play on a big ole tire swing. Ahhh, farm livin'. It's actually been a dream of mine all of my life. Maybe we could just buy an old mobile home and ask if we can rent a piece of their farm...I'm sure they'd go for it, right? Our kids are pretty cute and all...

All four of us were enjoying it so much, we didn't even want to leave as the sun began to set. But there was a definate chill in the air and we were beginning to get hungry.
That, and we were pretty sure it was officially past closing time.
We were afraid the owners might make us sleep in the barn and get up to work the farm in the morning if we stayed a minute longer. But as we were leaving, we were treated to one last "country sight"...a bunch of hens resting up in a tree, getting ready to bed down- or up- for the night.! I had read about hens doing this in the pioneer days, but this suburbs family had never actually seen it before!

One sort of sad related side-note... I remember hearing sirens and thinking, such peaceful beauty here, it's strange to hear the sirens. My Lil Cherub, who always prays faithfully at every siren, said a prayer right there, waiting for the pony ride. Later, I got an e-mail from my mom, saying she had heard on the news that the youngest little Roloff - Jacob-(Little People, Big World) had been in an accident at their farm as he tried to help with the pumpkin catapult.
The place we were at yesterday was
right next to theirs! He had been rushed by ambulance and had to have surgery, but the last we heard, he's going to be OK. But our little girl was actually praying for him, we're quite sure. It was a good lesson to all of us, that we're not always praying for random strangers. (At least, to us, we feel as though we know that family, since we watch the show so often.)
And of course, to God, no person is ever "random".

But except for that news, it was a blessed time with our family this weekend. And a beautiful fall day tromping through the leaves of the countryside, getting to know the farm animals, and generally just enjoying each other's company.

Oh, and finding the perfect pumpkin along the way.

Happy Fall, Everyone!

17 comments:

Susie said...

Sounds like a perfectly lovely fall afternoon. How fun to find a farm with so many things to do.
I was sorry to hear about Jacob.
I know many will be praying for him...

Barb said...

I can't think of a nicer way to spend an afternoon. How fun for all of you. The pictures are adorable. That tree in the first photo is awesome!

Amy said...

That sounds like such a fun time! I'm sorry to hear about Jacob, and glad that he'll be okay. The kids and I have gotten into to habit of praying whenever we hear sirens too. Now the boys often stop and do it on their own :)

Dawn said...

I just made it through Part 3 yesterday. You guys had quite a time! We're hoping to go back for our 35th next year. Now I'm wondering if we should go to the same place we did before and risk it not being as great as we remembered, or go someplace totally different. We do want to try Kuai (sp?), but the Big Island was so heavenly for our 25th. I need to have DC read these, because he always dreams of moving there, too. Not one of my dreams! Great place to visit . . .

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I LOVE that tree!! And I also love that your little girl prayed for whoever was hurt- not even knowing at the time. We do this, too. We live near a major highway and see and hear accidents all the time. My daughter will hear them and stop to pray. I love it. It teaches me a lot.

Anonymous said...

Wow you American ladies sure do love your pumpkins! Every site I have visited has pumpkins galore. They are fairly rare here in England.

The picture of that tree though, wow, what a fantastic tree. Sounds like you had fun. Happy Autumn (sorry I'm English - no Fall for us) ;o)

Susanne said...

That tree in the first picture is incredible! I don't think I've ever seen one so wide and tall and perfectly formed. Amazing! I love raking leaves but I think that one would do me in!

Laurie said...

What a lovely day! We had a new calf born today. A little red-baldy bull. He is sweet!

Carole Burant said...

Don't you love days like that?:-) You certainly crammed a lot in one day and it's no wonder you didn't want to leave the pumpkin farm, from what I can see in the pictures, it was beautiful!! That first picture is just awesome!!! Oh no, I hadn't heard about Jacob, I do hope he'll be fine...I love the fact that your littel girls pray anytime they hear a sire. That truly is heartwarming! Hugs xox Don't forgot to come to my Halloween Bash tomorrow! hehe

Tammy said...

The last picture of all of us doesn't do the landscape justice. It was getting dark...but behind us is a giant trestle- a train track bridge rising up over the fall colors.
But the fall colors just didn't show up on this one! ;)

ruth said...

Actually the Roloffs aren't strangers to you since you visited their farm & took pictures with them.
One of the other Portland stations did a story on them this evening, & Matt, the dad said that Jacob & Matt's friend who was also injured when the Catapult misfired, both came home from the hospital today. Little Jacob had surgery for a skull fracture Saturday after being admitted.
They were thankful for all the prayers & e-mails they had received & thankful of course that Jacob is OK.
ruth

Randi said...

Fall is such a perfect time for family outings!

Susanne said...

Tagged you by the way!

Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow, what a fabulous trees. I love trees and I miss the diciduous ones. We have mostly evergreens around here. What a fabulous family outting. Wonderful!

Jacob is in my prayers!

Jana said...

What a wonderful fall afternoon! I enjoyed reading your Hawaii stories since we're studying Hawaii right now. I'd love to make a trip like that.

Anonymous said...

Rosie and I have decided to come with you on your next excursion... Everywhere you go, you get free cookies! *LOL*

Sounds like a truly lovely day! The pictures are great!

Praying for Jacob! *Smile*

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Your photos are beautiful. Reminds me of my childhood in the Pacific Northwest.

PS - I just tagged you!