Monday, October 02, 2006

Catching Up...

I'm sorry to leave you so long with my thought-provoking post about the weather! But it seems life has just been so busy lately. And besides...as the quote goes,

"Everyone talks about the weather but no one ever does anything about it." ~Floyd the Barber, quoting (he thinks) Calvin Coolidge.

So here is a little Family Doin's update for this Monday morning:

Saturday:
Hubby was finishing the last of the roofing project. I, feeling uncharacteristly adventurous, took the girls on a 30 minute drive to a historic little farm where they were pressing apples for cider, and having many other "pioneer" type events. We had already ventured to one pioneer event a month or so ago, but this one was at a place I had never been to before. A historic farm where folks coming over on the Oregon Trail would stop over before going on to their own new piece of land.
The girls and I helped make cider with a press and bought a gallon, played with giant Lincoln Logs, observed folks in pioneer clothes spinning wheels, demonstrating the blacksmith trade, and countless other tasks. We loved it!
But our favorite part was the ride in an authentic horse and carriage. The girls sat in the
front with the lady driver, and I sat in back, marveling of how much it felt as though we were back in time. Afterwards, my girls were thrilled to feed the horse grass and enjoy that tickly sensation! Such a simple thing, but it was the highlight for Lil' Cherub.

But here's the bad news of this whole event...we hurried off without our camera! AHHH! Have you ever found yourself in the midst of a million picture-perfect moments without your camera? It's agonizing, isn't it?
But we'll just have to remember this day with the use of our imagination...and you'll have to do the same!

Sunday:
Visited another church on our quest to find the right one. Then off as a family to meet with a home school group at a tree farm. It turned out that just a dad and daughter that we know were there...and it wasn't just a nice, tame little stroll through a tree farm as the info and picture we received had indicated. Oh, no....
Instead, a tour guide led us and a few cub scouts and their parents up and down steep
terrain deep in the forest, as we climbed and panted... while he calmly retained his breath and explained why these various types of trees were planted and showing us pinecones. He would mercifully pause, to have us look up to the top of a certain tree and ask us a question...those not gasping for breath would be the ones to try and answer. This former aerobics queen was usually off to the side, breathing hard and trying to not to look like I was about to collapse into the poison oak.
But even four year old cherub began complaining.
"I can't find my bweath...carry me!"
Daddy and I did take turns carrying her on occasion, but after the first hour, I started
asking her to carry me.
We had about an hour to rest after this torturous ordeal...er, um, learning adventure.And to top it off, hubby was very out of sorts because he had a huge list of jobs he wanted done this weekend, and we didn't get to most of them. (I know...I'll be calling Work-aholics Anonymous for him, soon...) But we were off to our home group Bible Study. We so almost didn't go! But after arriving, I was so glad that we did.
These other three families are such good friends, and it was a relaxing, refreshing time. We're doing a study right now which is facsinating...Ministry Life & Ministry of the Messiah, by Focus on the Family- complete with a video we watch of a tour of the Holy Land. It's been so incredible to see the places on film where familiar Bible passages take place and to learn some of the orgins and background.


Needless to say, we all fell into bed as soon as we came home last night. And here it is, after 9 am (when we usually start home school time) and my seven year old has just gotten up. So, enough resting from our weekend...time to start our work week! (Hmmm....what's wrong with this picture?) ;)

Oh, and the weather this morning? STILL SUNNY! After all these days! Only considerable cooler, now, and more fall-like. I think our sprinkler days are officially over.
OK...no more weather-talk. Promise. At least for awhile.

Happy Fall and have a wonderful week, everyone!


13 comments:

Amy said...

I feel tired just reading your account of your trek through the woods. Phew! I love pioneer sites and re-enactments too. It's been years since I've had a ride in a buggy. There's an amazing restored historic gold-rush town a few hours drive from us that we've been wanting to visit once the kids are old enough to really enjoy it.

Michelle said...

I have forgotten my camera and it drives me nuts!

BTW, hope you find the right church family soon. The visiting can get old, especially on the little ones.

ruth said...

The Historic farm sounded so much fun & it's too bad about the camera. You know how much I love pictures of the muchkins.
Like Amy, I felt exhausted just hearing about the trek at the tree farm and just think, in my College days usded to go on hikes that took us mountain climbing in Tennesse.
ruth

Anonymous said...

Phew! Just reading about the nature trek made me tired! I need a horse and buggy just to take me back to my blog! *LOL*

Sounds like you had a delightful weekend. Glad you enjoyed Bible study! *Smile*

Susie said...

What wonderful family memories you've been creating! I bet your girls will always remember the horse and carriage ride..What fun for them!!!

Anonymous said...

It's been fantastic weather here in the Midwest too. Such a gift in October!

Thanks for your guess on my husband's name. No winners yet!

Anonymous said...

No wonder you were all so tired! Sounds like you had a busy weekend!

Susannah said...

I'm up here with you in the Pacific Northwest, loving the sunshine too. (I dread those dreary days ahead.) Exploring the Oregon Trail museums is a wonderful walk into history. We were quite moved by the museum in Baker. Have you been?

Carole Burant said...

Well now...you'll just have to go back to that pioneer place and bring your camera this time won't you!!! hehe I just love going to places like that and feeling like I'm in the old days of yore. Sounds like you had one busy weekend...and you sure got your exercise in with that hike! lol

Barb said...

Just reading about that tree farm adventure made me tired. What a shame you forgot the camera. I'll bet you missed some great shots. There. That really makes you feel all better, huh? :-)

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I forget my camera!
The farm sounds really cool!
I'm wore out just reading about the tree farm!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hi Jacob Roloff this is michael Richardson from Kennett i was get worring about is why ain't you and your soccer teammates wearing Adidas Shorts and not Nike Shorts please write me back thank Jacob Roloff before 2:30pm and 3:00pm thank bye!!!!!!!!!