
We're having a heat wave...A tropical heat wave...
Just when we here in the northwest thought that autumn has arrived, we were surprised by summertime coming back and pushing it aside for a last hurrah...in full glory! In fact, after a week or so of rain and chilly air, we have now been blessed with a week of glorious weather.
We are talking, throw on the bathing suit, run in the sprinkler kind of days! Yes, my girls actually did this twice this week...having two separate play dates with friends in two separate neighborhood fountains! If it wasn't for the earlier setting sun, I'd be convinced it was July.
If you know anything about the northwest, you know that we are not known for our perpetual sunshine or semi-tropical weather. But the little known fact is that fall is actually sometimes like this on occasion around here.
It's Spring that is always the tricky season. When I'm envisioning running through the fields of tulips after a long, cold winter, Spring usually dashes my dreams and sends damp, chilly air and grey skies. It may throw in a sunny day for a teaser...but you can't give your heart away to Spring around here. She just can't be trusted!
But the winters...here in the northwest, the winters are mostly wet and overcast with a chance of dreary.
Snow is a treat, if it even shows itself at all. Frozen rain... who'd of thought?
And if we get a sunny day between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day, it's as if a state holiday is declared. People are mulling about everywhere...smiling...laughing. Sometimes businesses close. (OK...that might be stretching it.)
I personally am a sunshine kind of gal. Oh, I love to listen to the rain on the roof...love a rainy night (sorry, Eddie Rabbitt) and love curling up in front of the fireplace with a good book. But believe me- after a forth straight week in a row without a beam of sunlight, some of us start feeling a little gloomy.
That's where all the coffee shops come in. It's no coincidence that the mochas and the lattes and the espressos all started right here. Ok, in Italy...but then they came here.
But all that dreariness seems so far away to me with this heat wave we've been having. Can October really be just a few days away? My biggest regret is that we've been so very busy this week that we couldn't take advantage of it as much as I would have liked. Plus, with my husband roofing, there's still the danger of nail lurking in the backyard, so no frolicking through our grass for the kids . But we did take some time, here and there, to soak up that vitamin D....after all, it has to last us a good five months!
My only hope- selfish that it may be- is that it we do not have such gorgeous weather and balmy afternoons a few weeks from now. Can you imagine how that might take the edge out of my upcoming family vacation to those faraway islands? (I don't want to mention the name of these islands anymore for awhile in case you all start to think I'm bragging...but just know that there are plenty of "Alohas" thrown around in the area.) Wouldn't it be just so funny if our plane took off from sunny skies and landed just as the beginning of their rainy season kicked in that day? Yes...that would be amusing, indeed. Ahem.
I know so many of you have mentioned how you love fall...and yes, I love that nip in the air. I'm sure that there will be plenty of time for those evenings by the fire soon enough. Nestled under a warm afghan, sipping a hot chocolate. Books and mochas. Mochas and books.
In the meantime, though...I honestly am loving these very warm days and savoring the last of them. I mean...until my vacation, that is. Where there will be lots and lots of sunny days. And just one book. Oh, I might have a mocha while I'm there...I'll just tuck one of those little umbrellas in it. Not a rain umbrella, though.
Aloha!








18 comments:
Here in the Midwest we had a week of lovely weather as well. I got my vitamin D by taking afternoon walks through the woods. It was delicious. Yesterday as we were walking back home the storms started rolling in...resulting in a much cooler and cloudier today. Ho-Hum!
I hear ya!! Around here the days are getting shorter and cooler. I would like another warm front before we welcome snow!!!
If it's raining on one side of the island, drive around to the other side, it'll probably be sunny over there.
Signed with aloha,
a former islander
We're having shorts weather here too!
It's been in the 90's several days!
We're starting to feel a little chill at night though.
We were in Hawaii in December many yrs ago (goodness almost 30 years ago!)
it rained every day and we had fun anyway! The sun came out right after the rain and the showers were brief..
I was watching a news broadcast & they were saying that this year the East coast & a few other areas had far more rain than Oregon did. Ours was under 10% & I'm thinking it was around 6%. LOVE IT,LOVE IT, LOVE IT. I hope that Island has good weather in November when my sis & I go.
ruth
I bet you're all counting down the days to Hawaii! The weather's been great lately!
We've seen some cooler weather and plenty of rain this month, although last weekend was rather hot. It's raining now as a matter of fact.
Hope the weather holds up for your trip!
And no nails on the beach to worry about! Unless you haven't given yourself a good pedicure lately... *WInk*
Ah. So you're going to Acupulco. Lucky you! Oh Wait! That's Buenos dias. I'm so confused. :-)
I've always heard that it takes the right attitude to not let the weather in the northwest depress you. But I've also always thought it's beautiful there, rain and all.
It IS too bad you don't get more snow, though. Snow is so much prettier than frozen rain.
Glad you're having one last blast of summery weather. It's gorgeous here in Colorado - we have "color weekend" coming up when all the aspen turn gold. But you sure wouldn't see kids playing in sprinklers around here this time of year! It's barely reaching 70 during the day now.
It's 44 F here right now...ack!!!! We sure aren't getting our "indian summer" yet! It's been cold and rainy all week so far and it's been soooo depressing! As for snow, I live in northern Ontario...we get tonsssssss of snow. Not yet, though...oh God, please no, not yet!!!!!
Yep, I think even if it does rain a little in Hawaii, we'll still have a lot of fun! It did rain one full day the first time we were there, but that's the day we took the road to Hana- and that's a rain forest anyway! :)
And yes, it is truly warm this week in the NW...I think it hit 87! Now you all don't ever have to believe that we all get is drizzle all the time!
We've had some glorious fall weather these past few days with blue skies, lots of sun, and highs in the 70s. A cold front came through tonight though and tomorrow's high will be low 60s. It does make for nice sleeping weather. :-)
Oooo, Hawaii? There's nothing, including rain, that could spoil that! I hope you have tons of funnnn!
I'd say ENJOY it while you can! Sounds good to me!
Here in Colorado if we have two or 3 days in a row of gray skies, we think we're being persecuted. We have gorgeous Indian summer days. But do we need some moisture!!
I hope the weather is awesome in Hawaii. Which island are you going to?
We are actually having cooler weather- good kind for that great coffee at Krispy Kreme. :>) My fav. is "bold."
Yet another unique thing about Portland--the fountains (meant for playing). Everywhere else just has pools, but in Portland you can just jump in on one of those clear warm days.
Yep, I see you already did a post titled this! Thanks for visiting.
October and 95 just doesn't seem to go together but it doesn't get just freezing cold here in the winter either.
Have a good trip!
Post a Comment