Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Great Reading Challenge!


I'm a little late hopping onto the bandwagon, but I'm joining in on the fun and participating in the Fall into Reading challenge. Katrina at Callapidder Days has suggested this challenge to perhaps get some of us addicted bloggers back to reading again! (At least that is the case with many of us, anyway!)

I am setting my goals small, however. As much as I have always loved to read, my days now that fall has begun seem squeezed full. And though we will be going to Hawaii during this fall challenge, and that fact brings images of lounging on a beach chair under a palm tree with a good book, I have to face it. I had some of that time on my first trip alone with hubby...but with the children, those uniterrupted hours may be a little fewer. But we'll see!
And I need to preface my somewhat short list also by saying that I'm a little embarressed that I do not have a long list of great epics here. I
do sometimes like to get my teeth into a nice, thick book, but I know it's probably not going to happen in the next two months. Also, reading for me is an escape, and most of the time I enjoy escaping to someplace nice and easy. Not all the time, mind you...but most of the time!

So, with all this in mind, I am choosing the following...to be read between now and Dec. 21st:

Fiction:

1)Sisterchicks in Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn (OK...this really sounds like light reading, huh? But I first discovered her Glenbrook series books, and they are so wonderful in their simplicity. The characters just draw me in and they become my "friends". The Sisterchicks series is much the same way, only it always involves two best friends or sisters on an adventure. Light and funny, but with a Christian message. I've read them all, except for this newest one!

2)The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright. I've seen part of this story made into an old movie, and it looked intriguing, but for some reason, I don't think I have ever seen the end of the film. So reading the book will be a real treat.
*UPDATED...although I hope to read this in the near future, I am changing my #2 to :
Narcissa Whitman- Pioneer of Oregon- by Jeanette Eaton.

3) Dinner with a Perfect Stranger (re-read). We read this earlier in the year in our book club and it was incredible. What if you received an invitation to dinner by the Lord Jesus?This book really is a meaningful look at who Jesus really is- and wants to be- in our lives.
*UPDATED...Although this is a wonderful, wonderful book, for time's sake, I have replaced re-reading this one for:
The Wedding- Nicholas Sparks.

Non-fiction

1) Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp. A good friend told me how wonderful it is, so I need to ask her to lend it to me for this challenge!

2) The Real Maria (the autobiography of Maria Von Trapp) Another re-read, but the last I read it was about 20...so a long, long time ago!

Books to read with seven year old:

1)Heidi by Johanna Spyri(already have begun...she's doing a book report on it for our home school group) Both my mom and I loved this one when we were children!

2)Stuart Little by E.B. White I haven't even read this one as a child, so am looking forward to reading it with my daughter ever since I came acrossed a copy at a yard sale this summer!

And countless other short children's books that we all read- too many to name!

Plus...I hope to squeeze in at least one more non-fiction book in here, but I have yet to commit to that third one! And I admit...I plan on reading one or two more "light" paperbacks for extra reading. Hey, I am not intellectually above a good Christian romance! It's really my favorite read...was hooked at age 3 when I first heard that Cinderella story...

So there you have it! Not a lot, but I thought I'd better take Katrina's advice and not bite off more than I could chew realistically. I mean...and still blog.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a perfectly fine list to me! I read the first two Sisterchicks books and enjoyed them. Actually, I first got turned on to Robin Jones Gunn when I was buying her teen series for my sil. Those are sweet books, too.

Beck said...

Stuart Little is dandy - you and your daughter will really enjoy it!

Susie said...

I've always loved to read and usually did it more in the evenings. Now, I can barely keep my eyes open! As I child I remember my Grandma reading Heidi to me. Great story!!

Randi said...

Sheparding a Child's Heart is one of my favorite parenting books. It is very practical with lots of suggestions for communicating with your child. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong reading under a palm tree in beautiful Hawaii--enjoy!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Well, yes, it's important to make sure you'll still have time for blogging! Looks like you have a good, and realistic, list. Have fun in Hawaii! (I might be a tiny bit jealous about that!) :)

Thanks for joining the challenge!

Susanne said...

That's a pretty good list considering you are going away. My list was only 5 books long, but I knew I'd be adding as I found great reads on everyone else's lists!

Big Mama said...

Blogging is a must, glad your list isn't too long or we'd miss you!

Anonymous said...

Nice list! *Applause*

Anonymous said...

I think it's a nice list. I primarily read as an escape too. At night my brain is often too tired to digest anything too heavy.

Carole Burant said...

I haven't read any of the books you mentioned...in fact, I'm very much behind with what is new out there! I used to read ALL the time and forever had a book at the end of my hand! lol But, the last few years it seems I just don't have the time anymore...I know, between blogging and well...blogging...it keeps me busy! lol

Amy said...

Oooh..Heidi and Stuart Little! I loved those stories and still love them. Heidi always make me hungry. I end up eating bread and cheese with a big glass of milk (yes, I still read children's books for fun, lol!)

Tammy said...

Amy, I do that too! I was curious about the line of Little House books about Rose (written by Rose's adopted grandson) and got so into them I had a buy a few! (Of course, partly for my daughter in a year or two, but partly for me!)

Ms. Kathleen said...

Hawaii! Wonderful. I lived there for three wonderful years. You will love it. Make sure you watch the movie Hawaii with Julie Andrews. It is a really good movie.

I will have to check out Dinner With a Perfect Stranger. That sounds interesting to say the least. Great choices on the kids books!

Enjoy!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

I have been wanting to read Sisterchicks; thanks for reminding me.
Loved Stuart Little. Should read to daughter.

My list is at:
My Fall Reading

Grafted Branch said...

Ah! We are reading Heidi too! We read the abriged version years ago, but now are doing the full-on story. We're only on chapter 8 though. It's lovely, isn't it?

And Tedd Tripp's book is wonderful. You'll want to own it for the occassional refreshment that will bless you well.

Barb said...

Hi Tammy,

I did the same thing. I kept my list down to five! I know I'll read more than five books. I've already bought three more since I made that list. LOL

I'm stopping by here to tell you two things. First, you're just one of the nicest people I've met out here. You really are.

And second, the comment you left on my post about getting my blog back into the right place in my life really moved me. I just had to do something about it and it took some hard decisions. So it's really encouraging when someone like you tells me I'm doing the right thing.

So I thank you for that. And by the way, I didn't get much of a tan this summer either! :-) Maybe I should install tanning lights in this office!

Christine said...

What a wonderful list of books. I think it is great how you are reading on a variety of topics. Blessings!

ruth said...

Wow! Do you have the new Sisterchicks in Gondolas? I don't have that one & will have to borrow it. I read the Shepherd of The Hills a long time ago & the Maria one of course. & the one about dinner with Jesus which I read at your house. Still love Heidi, never read Stuart Little, but still enjoy reading children's books.
ruth

Michelle said...

Looks like you've got a great list there!

Thanks for checking out my treasure on Tuesday - books! :)

Anonymous said...

never read a Sisterchick. someday. :) enjoy your books.