Where do I begin?This has been an incredible Labor Day Weekend for me. In many completely, different, unrelated ways. It was made up of some "just plain fun" and some, well... laborous times. I will try to keep it as short as I can and sum it all up as best as I possibly can...but I have a feeling it won't be all that easy!
Each day was so unique onto itself. But I'll start with Saturday...

We all met up with my half-sister and her friend, who had driven up from Sacramento, and along with my mom, went to "Pioneer Days" at a local state park called Champoeg. I have always loved this place! It's a park filled with history, concerning both the native Americans and also for being the location for one of the first real farms in Oregon. But I had never been on Pioneer Day, so the kids got a fun dose of living history...we sewed lavendar sachets, helped make homemade buscuits, helped turn butter- the list just goes on and on. And it was especially nice to see my sister. It was a bit humid for all of us, but an interesting day, nonetheless, and though we couldn't actually "visit" too much, I at least got to see my sister on her whirlwind trip to the northwest.
The following day was spent after church, cleaning and organizing.
And talking.
Not the pleasant, nice everyday chatter...but the kind of marriage-related conversation where issues are addressed and your forced to deal with them...and though not exactly fun in the process (Ok, that is an understatem
ent) the outcome is for our good. That's the way it was for us on this day. It was a very healing thing, and one that brought us closer as a result. It reminds me of giving birth...or Labor! It can be so very painful but the end result is very rewarding!I say this because not only do I want to be "real" about things...but I know we just can't possibly be the only Christian couple on the face of the earth that love each other but who still have to sometimes "work" at our marriage. But working on it is so well worth it! (OK...more in a separate post for later!)
Well, then came Monday...Labor Day itself. And it was by far, the best day of the three, hands down! (At least, it was definately the most fun.)

My husband (yes, he is pretty nice guy!) picked out the place we'd be going all by himself, and I simply knew was that it would somewhere in Washington State.
As it turned out, it was a gorgeous group of lakes, within the forest-laden hills, not far from what remains of Mt. St. Helens. (I still remember when it blew...we lived so far away at the time, and still my parents' cars were dusted with ash!)

Anyway, this was a completely new spot to us...we picnicked, waded in two separate adjoining lakes, and carefully trekked across the rocky shore, watching the boats sail by. The water was surprisingly warm as we inched further and further out in the shallow bay area. We even found some wild blackberries!
But best of all...my husband and I were like sweethearts... the girls were so loving and obedient... that just for this day, it was kind of perfect!
We all know that life is
n't always wonderful. There are challenges for all of us, both big and small, that come our way in this imperfect world. But at this moment, I do feel so blessed and thankful for the gift of my family...for the beauty surrounding us...for the way that God can renew us spiritually, personally and relationally just when we need Him to the most.
*photo 1: Pioneer gal shows lil' cherub how to play ribbon toss.
*photo 2: picking out quilt squares
*photo 3: a "pioneer" looks over the large garden
*photo 4: the girls toss rocks into the water
*photo 5: Lil' Cherub in the shallow bay
*photo 6: Sweetie-girl shows she is Strong-girl by lifting a log
*the girls and I pose after the picnic








18 comments:
What a beautiful spot. It was good to see you Saturday & it was nice having your sister & friend spending the night.
When I used to do mini pre-marital counseling, I would tell the couples that a good marraige takes work from both people & having the Lord as the center of the marraige gave that marraige the best chance to work. Marraige in a sense is a work in progress that takes both parties working at it.I also used to tell them, that if each of them put the other person first before themselves, then the marraige had a better chance to work, but only if they both did that. Otherwise, there would be a one sided relationship.
Honesty feels great, doesn't it. We all are on the same journey, and all hit bumps. You being transparent about it will encourage someone else they are not alone.
Wow, it sounds like a wonderful weekend - especially the talking part. I have such a hard time being honest but I know I need to be.
Sounds like a great weekend. Marriage can definitely take a lot of work, but the rewards are always worth it.
The lake is lovely and I'm glad that all in all in was a good weekend for you and your family...
Hey. Sounds like a great trip. There is a park in GA that has something similar to that. I always loved seeing how they used to do things.
Sounds like you really did have a terrific weekend:-) I love visiting pioneer villages and seeing how they used to live! Your Labor Day trip also sounded fabulous and I love all the pictures!!!
Looks like your family had a wonderful Labor Day weekend! It's always nice spending quality time together! Great pictures, too!
Beautiful pictures! It looks like you had a great weekend!
Marriage definitely takes work, Hubby and I had one of those talks this weekend, too. I agree, not fun, but it does turn into good!
Our town is having Pioneer Day on Sat. I'm really looking forward to it, for the first time I actually get to take part in what's going on instead of working a booth for Cub Scouts all day!
What a special way to spend this holiday weekend. I can see that you all did a lot of fun things but the most meaningful part of the whole weekend was probably the conversation you and your husband had. I've yet to ever come across a struggle-free marriage. Seems to me the best things in life are the things we have to work at and marriage certainly falls into that category.
Your honesty is refreshing. And I agree with my sister. There are probably lots of people out here who will feel encouraged that they're not the only one who has to clear the air occasionally to keep their marriage on safe ground.
It sounds like it was a very successful weekend in all ways.
You are right that even if you love eachother as husband and wife, marriage sometimes requires work. It's not always a "day in the park".
Great post, and wonderful pictures.
It sounds like your Labor Day weekend was a treasure. Your pictures are lovely! I appreciated the kind things you said about me. Thank you.
What a wonderful weekend, and I love the pictures. I really enjoy any type of history places to visit - especially when staff where the clothing of the day and you actually get to see how people did things.
Looks like a great trip! My girls and I Looooooooove Pioneer days...wherever we can find them.
Sounds like you and Hubby have a good friendship for the foundation of your union. That's good. Very good.
Sounds like you had fun in a very beautiful spot, and you sounded busy! Glad you enjoyed it!
Great pictures! So glad you had such a wonderful weekend. It's good to know that your "work" resulted in drawing you closer - that makes it all worthwhile.
I enjoyed the pictures and am glad you had an enjoyable time.
Thank you for your honesty too. Marriage most definitely takes work. That's why on my profile I put down we've been married almost nineteen years but I didn't put it as happily married for almost nineteen years. We're not always happy with each other at all but we are committed and that goes a long way.
What a fun weekend. I remember when Mt. St. Helen's blew too! We were camping an the Olympic Peninsula and we heard an enormous BOOM. We keep a watchful eye on Mt. Rainier these days. *-)
Post a Comment