Thursday, September 21, 2006

Tooth Fairy's Wand Our for Repairs!


We're having a wee bit of trouble with the tooth fairy lately. Just wanted to warn you. I'm not sure if she is just working overtime, but she has slacked off for the second time now...this is just unacceptable!

Last night, as my seven year old was brushing her teeth, her 8th tooth fell out. She still gets excited, and we promtly folded it in tissue and placed it gently under her pillow. As I sat with each child's chosen book for the evening in hand, she asked if she could please write a note to the tooth fairy. My eyelids were sagging, but I told her yes, if she hurried. Past bedtime, you know.

She brings in the most adorable note, I read it through blurred eyes, and she places that, too, under her pillow. Finally...two stories later, I say prayers with the girls, and as with our ritual, I lie briefly on my four year old's bed as we listen to a lullaby tape. Seven year old wants to tell one made-up story (as we sometimes do) so she starts in...

"OK, I remember where I left off last time. The zebra was about to dance in the ballet..."
Now, a lot of times, I love hearing my daughter's imagination at work. It's an amazing thing! But ten minutes later, I assured her that it was time to either end the saga or let it go on to Part III.
She relented and finished off with some sort of cliff-hanger...something about the zebra in the tutu being stranded on an island...and before I could even say good-night, both girls were off to dreamland.

I was never so happy to finally go to bed...

I awoke first and went downstairs, and a little later I hear the girls excitedly saying things like,
"Let's look, let's look!" and a disapointed
"Ohhhhh...."

My heart dropped to the floor. Not again!

I went upstairs, and casually asked if the tooth fairy left something or did she forget like that other time...
They answered that she, indeed, forgot.
"You're kidding?" I exclaimed, walking into my bedroom and grabbing a few coins off the dresser. I strolled into their room with a puzzled expression worthy of Meryl Streep, ignoring the imagined "Mommy Failure" tattooed across my forehead. I reach, non-chalantly, under the pillow with my closed hand, asking,
"Are you sure? That's ashame..."
Then my youngest heard a jingle.
"Wait!" She reaches in and both girls get excited. She graciously gives it to the seven year old toothless wonder, who takes the 40 cents with as much joy as if it had been gold.
"I just heard the noise, and there it was!" my youngest proudly annouces.
And I sigh a breath of relief and smile.

But really...this tooth fairy is not on her game at all. Just because it's the 8th tooth and all, there's no need for her to get sloppy. I can't cover for her all the time!

So, I just wanted to warn you...take heed. When one of your own loses their next tooth, don't get lazy and fall into bed before first tiptoing in and checking under that pillow to see if Miss Fairy has done her duty.

Because there's just nothing that can tug at a mama's heart more than a coinless, toothless child.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done this so many times, my kids don't even expect the tooth fairy to show up on the first night! With one tooth, in the morning while the boys were playing in their room, I went in and slipped a dollar bill between the mattress and headboard, then proceeded to pull sheets off to wash them, and "Hey! Look what I found! It must have gotten there during your tossing around while you sleep!"

Anonymous said...

Can I just yell 'I AM SOOOOOO GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS DONE THIS' I felt like the worst mother in the WORLD!!!

Carole Burant said...

Oh gosh, I remember forgetting a couple of times also when my boys were younger and you're right, you feel like a failure as a mommy! I always managed to cover up too but I hated that first look of disappointment on their faces when they'd wake up and see the tooth still there under their pillow! As long as Santa doesn't start forgetting, then we're ok....lol Hugs xox

Barb said...

Awww. I can't even remember how many times the tooth fairy completely passed our house by. Sometimes you're just so tired, you know?

Great recovery though. Thank goodness they're still pretty easy to fool. Good thing fifteen year olds don't put teeth under the pillow.

You handled it really well. I'd honestly be embarrassed to tell you the ways I recovered. OK, I'll tell you... I, um....LIED my face off. I did. And they fell for it every time.

deedee said...

I have been there! I will lay in bed pinching myself to stay awake until the toothless one is asleep. Only to find that all I have in the billfold is a twenty or about 20 cents. But even the 20 cents went over better than the nothing at all on the terrible I-fell-asleep-first-night.

Susannah said...

A cute chuckle!!! I don't know how we got away without doing the tooth fairy thing... but somehow we did. (Maybe we never brought it up.) My Mom used to hide pennies, nickles, dimes, and one quarter between the layers of our birthday cakes... she'd mark where they were with the candles, so each piece contained a big surprise. (Of course, all the kids were hoping for the quarter.) Thanks for the memory jog... I'll have to remind my sister!

ruth said...

The tooth fairy can be kind of lax at times, but at least she was kind enough to leave some of your baby teeth. They used to be in your baby book, I'll have to see if they're still around, as well as your little baby bracelet. I'm not sentimental or anything you understand.
ruth

Beck said...

Ha. My husband is the Tooth Fairy in our household and he never forgets... but he does give out WAY, WAY too much money because he's a sucker. My kids have the $10 Tooth Fairy. Sigh.

Tammy said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one here...and Beck, your kids have a Mr. Tooth Fairy who gives out $10 bills? Thankfully, my girls both still think that any coins at all are wonderful...not sure how much longer that will last, though! :)

Looney Mom™ said...

Oh yes. That tooth fairy is a slacker around here too - especially when 2 of my kids lost a tooth the SAME NIGHT then one of these lost another tooth 2 days later! Big time slacker. And I'm still wondering... how many teeth does this girl of mine have? Geesh!

I want to thank you so much for your prayers, thoughts, and kind words of encouragement. I'm gonna try to work my blogging into my daily schedule so I can still visit my buddies - even if it's every other day! I'll still be around. You can get rid of me that easily!

Grafted Branch said...

Oh...I can so relate.

I'm impressed that you're still counting: 2nd child, 8th tooth. You're a better tooth fairy than me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up! Rosie has three loose teeth! *LOL*

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Idea-
Type up a story from the tooth fairy about how the 8th tooth has special meaning, and the fairy was out finding an extra special treat-a Hershey's kiss. She'll feel extra special.

Dawn said...

I love this story. I'm sure I did it too.

Thanks for stopping by yesterday for my randomness. That's the way my mind works sometimes.

momof3busyboys said...

Hey we need to unite and get the tooth fairy doing her job properly again! LOL She has slacked off several times at our house too! Maybe there are just too many toothless kids! Great recovery mom!

Susie said...

Tammy,
Your tooth fairy certainly thinks quick on her feet! I'm sure we've all had an experience like that. You'll laugh about it in years to come!
Thank you ever so much for your prayers and concern for my husband. I truly appreciate it...
((hugs))

Kristen said...

OH, yes!! I've been there, too! That crest-fallen look is so heart breaking! But we parents are certainly not perfect! Especially when we are DEAD TIRED! I'm sure the "tooth fairy" won't forget again! :-)

Thanks for commenting on my 125th post! I made it! :-)

Christine said...

Hi! Thank you so much for visiting my blog; your blog is lovely. Blessings!

Mississippi Girl said...

Oh this is such a cute little story.. great recovery!!
Jennifer R.

Susanne said...

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who this happened too! I told my son, for 2 different teeth, that the tooth fairy had phoned after he went to bed and wanted to know if it was ok if she came the next night 'cause she was just so swamped with children's teeth coming out that day that she just couldn't do them all in one night! :)

Laura said...

I'm with you there, Tammy - done it too many times to count, and also did the famous fairy recovery manuever!

Anonymous said...

We just circumvent the tooth fairy altogether and pay the children $1 per tooth as soon as they fall out. We don't have to worry about forgetting and the children just LOVE to get money. :-)

C. H. Green said...

We've only lost 2 teeth so far. We were informed before helost the first one that so-and-so in his class got 5 dollars per tooth. I about fell out of my chair...
oh my.... I replied. And prepared to do the silver dollar thing...but the tooth fairy's spouse won out. We can't let him think his teeth are worth less than s0-and-so's, he said. And that was when I began doubting the value of these "harmless" traditions. It's too late. We've started it now at five dollars a pop. But if you haven't started it, I recommend what Jeaninne does and just pay them up front.

Susie said...

Tag! You're it!
:-)

Big Mama said...

I think when it comes time for the tooth fairy to visit us, she's going to have to leave the money at the door. I have the lightest sleeper in all creation.

You made a good recovery!

Laurie said...

My, my what a familiar story. I even remember this happening when I was a child. So, I do what my personal tooth fairy did back then. I walk in, with the quarter hidden in my hand, and begin to shake the blanket really hard. Soon the quarter falls out and both the Tooth Fairy and the Beloved Mother save face once again.

momsmusings said...

We have forgotten this so many times, and it is nice to know that I am not the only one out here!! We have even told the kids that we guess the tooth fairy doesn't work on certain days...it was her holiday or something lame like that. They don't really believe us anymore!! Very funny story, thanks for sharing!!