Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Tasty and Healthy Snack...really!





If you're like me, you
want to provide some really healthy snacks and recipes for your family, but can do without having to slave over the mixing bowl for a half hour or more. If this is the case, you may just want to try out this easy recipe that I discovered a few months back... It is extremely low in sugar, but yet still manages to taste yummy. Even my picky little eaters love it- and you other mommies know, when your four year old cannot seem to get enough of something healthy, that says quite a lot! So here it is:

Dump in a bowl:

2 cups whole wheat flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1\3 cup powdered milk (optional)

Stir to mix

Add:

1 egg

small amount of olive oil

2 cups cold water or milk (I prefer milk)

Small quantity of molasses to give muffins a golden brown color (optional)

*a couple tablespoons honey

Stir to mix

Place in buttered muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 mintues or until golden brown.

As you can see, it has virtually no sugar! Sometimes I add just a tablespoon of sugar if I want them less plain bread-like and just a tad sweeter.

*Edited to add: I do always add a few tablespoons of honey as well!

But this is the important part: add one more "fun" ingredient, such as blueberries, raisins, craisins, dried cranberries, for example. That extra ingredient of your choosing is what really makes the recipe!

Since I recently read all the benefits that whole grain can give, I love using whole wheat flour whenever possible. We have a mini-muffin tin so our muffins come out tiny and the girls can keep popping those little morsels into their mouths. Much better than chips or cookies...and with my littlest one having a true cavity battle, this is an especially great recipe for us.

I'm not a true gourmet cook nor avid baker, trust me...but these are so easy that even I am whipping them up all the time! (At least twice a week!) Sometimes the girls enjoy helping, too and take turns grabbing for-I mean- taking patient turns adding the ingredients and stirring.

With my small family of four, they are usually gone in 24 hours, a lonely plate of crumbs the only remnant.

Picky-Kid-tested, mother approved!


15 comments:

momsmusings said...

Oh, this recipe looks good, and no sugar? Wow!! Thanks for popping by my blog and commenting. I have enjoyed visiting you here and will be back again!!

Anonymous said...

*MMM*

Anonymous said...

Excellent -- a must try!

Since Blogger's beta switch its been difficult to comment. I have been visiting frequently, just unable to leave feedback. Seems like they have their act together!!!

Tammy said...

As you might notice, I just went back and edited that I always add two tablespoons of honey. Sometimes, with that, I also add the tablespoon of sugar. Without the honey, though, I've found the taste too plain.

(Sorry, I forgot the put that in the first time, but the original recipe I found hadn't listed honey as one of their main ingredients, only as a possible add-in.)

We're actually going to make some more today or tomorrow. Honestly, (with that honey!) they are pretty yummy! :)

Lori said...

I'll have to try this. Thank you!

Susanne said...

My mom in law makes this kind of stuff all the time. The fruits give it it's sweetness. So good!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Sounds good. May have to try that.

Michelle said...

What a great sounding recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Rae said...

I'll have to try this!

Susie said...

Tammy,
I'm always on the lookout for kid friendly yet healthy snacks. I'll be trying this soon!
:-)

ruth said...

That first comment wasn't me so you must have another ruth visiting
Your recipe sounded really yummy, & one that's good for the girls.
ruth

Carole Burant said...

Oh yummmm...I've copied the recipe and will definitely be trying these! I don't have any kids at home anymore but I still like to eat! lol Hugs xox

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something I could make with Girlie Girl. Thanks for the idea!

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious. Thanks!

Overwhelmed! said...

Tammy, this recipe sounds divine! I'm adding it to my collection!

Thanks for your comment on my WFMW post. I appreciate it.

Hey, would you be so kind as to send me an email so I can send something to you? :) My email is adoptive_mom_1@yahoo.com.

Thanks!