Monday, October 23, 2006

Our Maui Vacation Story



Part 1

Wow. We're home. As of 3 am yesterday.

Thank you SO much for your prayers and concern about the earthquake...I was reading them just now and I was so touched!

Well...this has been such an incredible trip, both good and bad, that I am dividing it into three posts. Here goes...our Shake and Bake vacation story...(like that? I just made it up...)

We arrived in Maui at our hotel in time to unpack, walk on the beach, buy groceries, ect. The girls were anxious to take a dip in the little kiddy pool, so their daddy took them that first afternoon.
Still on Oregon time, we all woke up at the crack of dawn the next morning, hoping to to catch an early service at some nearby church before embarking on some great adventure.

We were all dressed and doing last minute things when the floor began to shake. I was with the girls in thier room and my husband was at the other side of our little suite, brushing his teeth. As it began to get a little rough, I grabbed the girls to me under a doorway and held them tightly. I'd like to say I was calm for them...but I wasn't. I was screaming for my husband, who never came until the last moment, while the three of us girls huddled together crying.

I've been in a few little earthquakes here in Oregon, and a few more little tremors, but nothing like this. And being in a strange place only added to my panic.

My husband came over as the shaking subsided, toothpaste in his mouth, and I frantically informed him that we needed to high-tail it out of there in case of a tsunomi. He didn't seem to be the least bit worried, but I had recently seen a documentary, so I insisted....well,
yelled at him to come on. We were on the second floor and scrambled down the stairs amongst others, jumped in the car, and headed- literally- for the hills.

About fifteen minutes later, a radio station in Maui came back on the air and we heard that there wouldn't be a tsunomi...which was an incredible relief.
But there was no power anywhere on the island and we simply drove around for awhile. At one point, we came apon a Krispy Kreme's that was open without power, and I stood in line for donuts and my first coffee of the day. They still had some, but as I stood in the long line, they ran out right when I got to the counter.
Later, we did find a little Hawaiian church that went ahead and held service. They had a back-up generator, so they even had great music for the few of us that were there. Most of the little congregation was of Hawaiian decent, and they welcomed us with open arms. It was SO good to be in the house of the Lord during this crisis. I had been so jittery and upset, and it was a comfort to be reminded that God was still in control.

Right after the service, the power on Maui was restored to most of the island...and a few hours later, all of the island was back. That afternoon I splurged on a frappicinno at Starbucks and I was so happy I could have done the hula right there!

The following day was hubby's birthday. We woke up to....pouring rain. Oregon-worthy rain. Buckets and buckets of rain.

We decided to make the best of it and hit the Maui Ocean Center that day. There were a few open areas between building where got drenched, but all in all, it was a facinating place and the girls loved it. The huge shark swimming beside us was incredible and walking under the tunnel with stingrays a few inches from our heads was amazing! The girls seemed to fight over their daddy, though, the whole time...each wanting him all to herself. My nose was only slightly out of joint...I knew it was because he was usually at work so much and they were glad to spend so much time with him!

We stopped at my favorite Hawaiian shop, the famous Hilo Hattie's, to buy a few trinkets and gifts. (Love most of the prices, and how they greet you at the door with a shell lei!)
Later, we all changed and the girls and I donned our matching dresses in honor of thier daddy's birthday. He had some trouble picking out a restaurant, and finally settled on one in an elegant building with...ahem...elegant prices. We were all relaxing when sudden shrieks let out acrossed the restaurant. I immediately thought...OK, a tsumomi is just now coming to cover us all. (Yes, I really thought that!) I jumped up with the entire restaurant patrons, all of whom were looking out over the street. And then I saw it...a young man had been thrown off his motorcycle by a car, and a man stood over him as he lay crumpled on the road.
Although I relieved we weren't all going to die, I was heartsick to see this sight, and when I got back to the table, we all said a prayer for him. Needless to say, it was hard to enjoy the rest of the birthday dinner while a tear trickled down my cheek and sirens blared outside.

What else could go wrong on this trip, you ask? And was there any enjoyment at all?
Well...to answer the first question....
a lot more could go wrong!
But to answer the second...YES, thankfully, there were some fun moments sprinkled throughout the rest of our trip.

The next installment will include a little of both...

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like a memorable vacation to say the least! I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Big Mama said...

I can't believe all of that. I'll be ready to hear part 2 and see if it gets better.

Susie said...

Your look so tropical in your matching dresses! Having been through the Loma Prieta Earthquake here in the Bay Area, I know what you mean about wanting to get out of there! Thankfully there was no tsunami!
Looking forward to part 2 of your saga!

ruth said...

I'm looking forward to the next instalment. I did a lot of praying for your safety on this trip, & I know the Lord was with you in all of your adventures & misadventures.
There is always a purpose in the things that happen to us & I think the Lord wants us to know that He is always there in the good things & the bad. I'm trying to learn this myself as I am frustrated that the back brace which was ordered & I need, still has not come in. We will overnight in Portland Nov 7th, fly to Hawaii 11/8
ruth

Anonymous said...

How adorable are you and your girls in those dresses, so cute!
Great post, can't wait to hear the rest. My hubby always says that if nothing happens on vacation you won't remember it, so here's to a very memorable time!

Looney Mom™ said...

Well I'm so relieved that you all were safe. And of course these are the things that memorable vacations are made of. Someday you and your grown daughters will be saying "remember when...?"

Anonymous said...

I love your matching dresses. Sounds like your trip was exciting, though not exactly the kind of excitement you think of when you think vacation. It did get better, right? Anticipating your next installment....

Oh, and welcome home!

Jenn said...

The matching dresses are very cute!
That's a lot of excitement just in the first couple of days, I'm on the edge of my seat to hear Part 2!

Susannah said...

What a story! I think this was your first trip, right? I do hope you'll go back some day and rewrite some of those memories. Our daughter was in Honalulu one week before you, and we were thankful she missed the quake. You were SO wise to jump in your car and get to high ground. I'll remember that the next time we're over there.

I hope you're enjoying the sunshine here in the Pacific Norhtwest, now that you're home. :~)

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of excitement and it's only the first installment.
:-) I'm glad you were safe and you and the girls look beautiful in your matching dresses.

Barb said...

The moment I heard about the earthquake, I thought, oh no. I worried about you until I read your Mom's comment that you were all OK.

I'm looking forward to Part II, too. I'm glad you're all home, safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

When the earthquake hit I thought of you and emailed your grandmother to see if she had talked to you. Luckily, she told me that you were all fine.

I can't wait to hear the rest of your story!

deedee said...

Welcome back. I really hope that you had some fun, I'll be back to read about it.

Dawn said...

I can't wait to hear the rest. We absolutely loved our time on the Big Island, and in fact went to three churches while we were there. It was Christmas time and was so neat to see how they celebrated. One was a little Catholic church up in the hills, for their Christmas program - the Christmas story in hula was very touching! Then we went to a large community church for their Christmas program - an outdoor sanctuary - really neat. Then we went to our tiny denominational church on Sunday morning and saw their tiny church do a children's musical we had done in our church a few years earlier - all of the adults and kids got involved. Really neat as well. We want to go back!! We hope to for our 35th anniversary, which is December of next year. We haven't been since our 25th.

Susanne said...

Wow, on your very first day the earthquake hit? I'd be hard pressed to relax after that just like you. Sad about the fella being hit. And how cute are you and the girls in the dresses! So glad you guys were all kept safe!

Tammy said...

Thank you all...(funny how my meter thing keeps registering 0 comments. Do you all know what causes that?)

Anyway, like Susanne said, having that earthquake hit the first morning did something to my ability to relax.
Kailani, I thought of you last week, hearing that Oahu was without power the whole day!
To answer e-mom, my husband and I had our first trip to Hawaii a year and a half ago and loved it SO much! That's the reason we wanted to go back and bring the girls. We even dreamed of moving there! Hmmmm....
Next installment should be here either tonight or Wednesday morning.

And by the way...you all are a blessing to me! :)

Lori said...

I am glad you had a good vaction! I love the outfits.

on the Rock said...

Ooooh! Beautiful photos! Looks like a great time!

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. I LOVE the one of you with the girls! *Smile*

I can't wait for part 2!

(Welcome home! Lisa)

Carole Burant said...

I'm finally catching up on the posts I missed while I was away...first of all, welcome back:-) I was sooo worried about you and your family when I heard of the earthquake...what a time to happen, the very first morning you were there! Sheesh! I just love the picture of you and the girls in your matching dresses...adorable!! Now you have me curious as to what else happened while you were there...talk about a trip full of excitement...bad and good!!!

Georgiana Daniels said...

OH MY! I would have been just like you, dragging my husband to the car to head for the hills! And screaming. And crying. I'm glad you're home safe and sound.

PS. I didn't realize there are quakes in Oregon.

Randi said...

Welcome home, Tammi! Your first couple days sound like doozy's--I hope it got better for you!

Very cute picture of your tropical family!

Gina Conroy said...

Wow! What a frightening first day in Maui and you totally hooked me at the end! I'm going back now for the next installment, though I already know you're home safe and sound!