Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving Weekend Ramblings

I hope everyone has had a nice Thanksgiving and are now enjoying those leftovers and relaxing a bit.

Today was my first day to relax in quite a while. Cleaning, cleaning cleaning for holiday, which I usually host every year for about 22- 26 of us. (No matter who's house spend a holiday at, we are wall to wall people. Luckily, for the most part, we all get along!)
But as I said before, other than providing the house and a few beverages, I don't have to do much else, which is kind of nice. No slaving over the stove to try and make seven dishes come out ready for the table simutaniously!

Below is a picture of the turkey that my one brother in law prepared.
It was so juicy....mmmmm! This guy arrives early to our house and cooks one every year!
And he's single, ladies! ;) (I'm going to have to duck the next time I see him...heehee...)




The next morning, my husband, lists in hand, braved the weather, crowds and traffic to be a part of the masses of black Friday at 5 in the morning. Not me...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz but I did get out there at 8:30. And I have to say, I wasn't impressed with any incredible, door-busting sales I found- or didn't find.

That afternoon, we all went to retreive our new family member, Mandy! (See post below)
She has honestly been the easiest puppy to potty train! Would you believe...so far, no accidents in the house- AT ALL! Of course, I'm putting her outside every hour or two, but the advice I received is working and she's a natural.

On the other hand, last night- the first night- was all too reminicent of my new-mommy days. I didn't get much sleep at all, and ended up crashing with a blanket on the futon besdie her. Tonight we'll try moving her crate upstairs with us, per some advice I found on the internet...which will either be better or just more steps for me to travel in the middle of the night to take her potty.

I did read their little bladders are like babies'...they just can't make it through the night without having to go potty these first couple months. It's been about 20 years since I raised a puppy, and I didn't remember this part.
And...why did I think wintertime would be a good season for doing this?
But some of you tried to warn me about the hard work involved, I know....

All in all, though, I can't complain. She is such a good puppy! But I forgot how spoiled I was with a good night's sleep!

Well, as I end this rambling post, I'll go back and join the family by the fire to watch the end of "White Christmas".
Guess it's almost time to deck the halls...

Have a blessed Sunday!

18 comments:

Susie said...

She's adorable! Brrr it's a cold time of year to be taking puppy potty!
No Black Friday shopping for me either,other than online. Those sites were slow too, so I guess others had that idea too!
:)

Barb said...

Well, Tammy, you crack me up. Based on the comment you left me, I thought maybe you named the new puppy Barb. hee hee

Of course I'm not offended that you named your puppy the same thing I named my daughter. I named my daughter 24 years ago and her name is Amanda Kay. Now, if you tell me this puppy's name is really Amanda Kay, well....

;-)

I'm so glad you know that puppy bladders are no different than baby bladders. They really can't go all night long without having to potty and I hate it when new pet owners don't understand that and get upset with the pup.

I knew when we got Chelsea a year ago that I'd be up and down with her two or three times a night for months and I was. It really was a lot like getting up with a baby except with a puppy, they go pee and go right back to sleep.

Whew! I'm sure glad you didn't name the puppy Barb!

Anonymous said...

Yummy turkey! And I'll say that it sounds like a pretty good deal that you don't have to prepare the food - just provide the home.

And raising a puppy is like having a newborn and toddler! When we got our chow she was just a little furball. We put her in our laundry room where we have a doggie-door and she learned to go in and out right away all by herself! So the potty-training was a breeze. The biggest problem with her was the chewing EVERYTHING beyond recognition - GRRRR! Good luck. I hope you get back to normal sleep soon!

Anonymous said...

cute puppy

ruth said...

I hope you are prepared for that chewing up stuff as looney mom reminded & have a good supply of chewey toys. This isn't the best time of year to be doing the puppy potty training & I'm praying for a good night sleep for you tonight.
ruth

Anonymous said...

What about the ole ticking clock in a sock idea? *Smile*

He can cook a turkey that looks like that AND he is single? What's the world coming to? *LOL*

Glad to hear you had a happy holiday! :o)

Tammy said...

LOL Barb...I thought that might be what you'd think at first...

And yes, Mrs. Moo...not only is my brother in law that makes the great turkey every year single...but so is my other brother in law, who makes the incredible mashed potatoes! Honestly, they're both good catches and can cook, to boot!
*End of advertisement* heehee

Carole Burant said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and lucky you not having to cook anything...I should start that tradition! lol The puppy looks sooo adorable...I'd forgotten how they need to go pee so often...I don't envy you there! lol Our busiest shopping day is Boxing Day, the day after Christmas...I never go out that day, I value my life too much!!! xox

TJ said...

What a cute puppy!! I've just no patience with the dog potty training myself...hehe!!
I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving, the Turkey was nummy looking...boy, I do wish I had some leftovers!!
:-D

Mississippi Girl said...

Your new puppy is PRECIOUS!!
Jennifer R.

Michelle said...

How cute! We got our puppy back in January and it was cold on those nights of puppy pottying.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Aaaawww, your new puppy looks so cute.
The turkey looks yummy, hope you had leftovers to have in sandwiches !!
Have a great wek.
Take care, Meow

Anonymous said...

That turkey looks so good! I wish I could figure out a way to have all the people at my house and no cooking; that sounds like a good deal to me.
Of course there is all that cleaning but it might be worth it.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they're both single! What's wrong with the women where you are! *Chuckle*

(Blog change alert! *Lisa*)

Ms. Kathleen said...

I watched White Christmas the other night. It is one of my favorites!

Your puppy is so adorable. In the past we have had very large farm dogs, never a house dog but they were wonderful animals.

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

A man who can cook well is such a blessing! My daughter married one of those!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

LOVE the puppy. And the turkey looks yummy.

Grafted Branch said...

When we got a puppy (the first time) it did not occur to me about the night-time potty breaks. Ugh.

She's awfully cute...but I still can't help thinking, "Better you than me!" ;) lol!

Congratulations to all.