
Ever since I was a little girl, glued to the TV set watching The Wizard of Oz, I've had a morbid fascination with tornadoes.
I've had those reoccurring dreams where I'm running from one looming in the distance, and searching for a neighbor's house with a basement.
Knocking on doors, hoping for a kind-hearted soul who will let me in to take cover with them.
As a child, my parents sometimes were with me...sometimes not. Sometimes I was on foot, other times I was in car, and we were trying to outrun it.
But my dreams always find me escaping at the last moment, after a heart-pounding few minutes.
My grandmother once told me of looking out her little house in Oklahoma as a girl, and seeing three tornadoes off in the distance all at once.
My mouth would hang open at this, trying to envision a flat land as far as the eye could see, with angry twisters on the horizon.
It was always a stretch, since I grew up in the northwest where tall evergreens and rolling hills are the norm...and virtually no twisters.
Yesterday, however, one did, indeed, touch down in the nearby city of Vancouver, Washington.
(Yesterday's actual tornado)We saw no evidence of any of the commotion here at home, however... except for a unusual warmth in the air and having both sunlight and rain at the same time. So, at lunchtime we were oblivious to the fact that only a few miles away, a tornado was causing havoc and damage...
(Courtesy American Med. Response, Clark Co.) Thankfully, there were no reports of injuries! And that is a miracle when you see all the countless photos of damage throughout the area and hear the accounts.
In fifth and sixth grade, I actually lived in Vancouver. And strangely enough, I had a friend who had been injured in the big notorious Vancouver tornado of 1972 a few years before which had come right through her grade school.
Yes, tornadoes, although rare and usually weak, due occasionally stop in our area of the Northwest from time to time. And once in awhile, they can even be truly menacing.
So, to have this recent one so close to home is a little unnerving.
Still, I'm truly hoping that the only tornadoes I come into direct contact with will be either in my dreams... or in black and white Kansas before Dorothy lands in Technicolor Oz.








16 comments:
I occasionally dream about tornadoes too. Usually I'm trying to convince folks to take cover and they won't believe me. Very frustrating!
We had tornadoes in Missouri, but they're quite rare in Maine. We do have the sporadic earthquake though.
Wow, I'm glad you guys are all okay. We are not tornado country by any means but it seems the last so many years we are hearing of the really close by. In fact, a couple summers ago, one formed right over us. The clouds were weird and we were all watching them swirl around right over top of us. The tornado warning came on tv, and did we go hide? No way. Everybody was outside watching the phenomenon! Crazy! I touched down outside of town.
That's amazing. And that I didn't hear about it - I must be in my own little world right now!
We have them in Colorado on occasion, and it is very strange. My folks lived in Oklahoma for years and my brother still does - Tornado Alley.
My sister in law lives in Vancouver, so this is the second time today I have heard about this tornado. Ironic!
I remember putting my barbies in my shoes and flying them around the room playing tornado. Very random memory that reading your post brought back to me ;)
I was happy to hear that the Rowing club which was completely demolished & all their boats smashed has receive some cash donations & I think 7 boats so far. Hopefully these kids in Vancouver will have their club rebuilt & get enough replacement boats to be able continue in competitions again. They have all pitched in on the cleanup.
my "to do" list always has a tornado chase at the top. I really do want to do a storm chase in the OK/texas panhandle
OK, in my haste I mispelled "auntie"...no wonder you all aren't flocking to read the story...you thought it was a story about an insect...hehe
Anyway, I saw some pictures of the old 1972 Vancouver tornado on the internet, and though this one cost thousands in damage, so many were injured 35 years ago in this same town (including the friend I mentioned)...so we're all thankful that this time it was damage only!
Wow it's amazing how something that big didn't come near to you. I'm very glad you were not affected by it. I'm also glad no one got hurt.
Tornadoes are just scary. They often accompany our hurricanes here...but I still think they are nothing like the great big ones of the inner US. Glad everyone is OK...praying for all the recovery that must have to happen.
Susan
I was so surprised when we moved up to the Black Hills to find out that they also have tornadoes. When I lived in Kansas and Nebraska they had them and I have been near three (one was "twin sisters" as they named them).
I also have dreams about them from time to time. I think they are just so amazing that the mind can't get rid of the idea or else something is spinning around in my mind.
Praise God you are fine and I will be praying for those who were victims.
God Bless You!
I have never experienced a tornado here on the east coast and hope I never do! I just can't imagine having them come at you with no place to go. We all have basements here in Maine so I guess that would be the best place to go. My niece just moved back east from Ok in tornado alley, I'm glad she is back here! They didn't see any up close while living there thankfully!! Guess I won't complain about our Nor'easters again!!!
I hate tornadoes. I'm in Oklahoma and I must say they are not as bad as you think though. Well I mean like although we always have "tornado watches" and "tornado warnings" it isn't always all that bad. We've never had tornado damage....
Goodness, that tornado was indeed too close to home! Glad it didn't affect you directly and glad no one was badly hurt where it hit. We're not known for tornadoes here either but every once in a while we'll hear of one touching down in the area...just last summer we had a small one come through our back yards and it flipped my shed right over, as well as taking the boat and landing it in the middle of the yard. I can't even imagine going through a full scale tornado!! Stay safe and play Dorothy only in your dreams! lol xoxo
here is my prayer for you today!!!
IN YOUR DREAMS! ahahahha
Glad you are safe and well.. We live right in tornado alley and I am always watching ... I have a cellar but there is no way I would ever get Mom and Dad down the steps.. sooooooo we have a plan if we have one come close...
Have a safe and windless Sunday!
I know what you mean about tornadoes.I live by the levee, with tha lkae in my backyard.. About 10 years ago, my neighbor told me he saw a tornado just over the levee and jump my house and land in the woods.. We have a brick home, but no storm house. We always get in the center of the house(hall bathroom) whenever we get the watches or warnings.
I hope they always miss you too. Have a great Sunday and good week ahead. I'm enjoying your blog..
I am so glad that there were no fatalities. We had a bad tornado here in the 70s. They are quite rare in my area of Ontario. Once when my daughter was young, two small ones went along the creek, but other than that we've been very lucky.
Post a Comment