
My eight year old has recently joined a children's choir through another church, and today were the auditions for speaking parts and solos for the spring program that will take place in May.
She had told me that she really wanted to try out for a speaking part...so we picked one that didn't have too many lines and she memorized them immediately.
Since being in Awana during 1st and 2nd grade, she has displayed a real ability for memorization (much better than I ever possessed!) so actually, I wasn't surprised here.
Not only that, but she did a couple terms of a fun acting class at the local recreation center in the past year or so... and- I hope it's just not a bias mother speaking- but she was actually....good! Very good! She had the right feeling in her voice and said her lines with confidence. We were simply amazed!
So, this time she, again, practiced saying her lines to me...and I read with her for the part of the other character.
Yep, I thought. This girl can act!
But I do know her well. And although she's pretty animated around family and good friends, she can also be very shy around strangers.
With this in mind, we talked a lot about how this audition might go...and we prayed that she would only get a part if God wanted her to make this commitment right now...we prayed that even if she didn't get a part, she would be OK about it all- and just have fun being in the choir.
As we waited for her name to be called, we hung out in a big room with game tables set up for all the kids and their parents. We actually had a super time playing "Sorry"...
and before we knew it, her turn for auditions had arrived.
I couldn't go in with her...so I grabbed some free chips and kind of paced around.
I was suddenly so nervous for her!
She came back out about ten minutes later, looking disappointed.
Uh-oh.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
To which one of the nice volunteers, asked her how her audition went.
"They didn't even say anything at the end," she replied.
So I asked the volunteer if they tell you right away about parts and she thought it might not be until Wednesday.
But after further conversation with my girl, she told me that she forgot to smile...and she didn't think she said her lines with real feeling.
Oh.
I admit, I felt my heart sink just a tiny, little bit. Hopefully, it wasn't just some dormant stage mother in me that felt disappointed...because I think I really felt bad for her, knowing that she was completely able to do a great job, and yet she froze up in front of the "panel of judges".
We did have a great conversation on the way home, though.
I told her that so many people get stage fright when suddenly they are about to be judged.
I reminded her that we had just prayed about it...so now we needed to trust God for the right outcome.
And the Lord was, in fact, answering our prayers because she quickly began to act as though she'd be just fine- either way.
She was even able to
laugh at my silly jokes...and smile when I described an old rerun of the Brady Bunch when Cindy got to be on a local TV quiz show for kids because she pretty smart, but instead of hitting the button and answering questions, she simply stared at the red light on the camera the whole time.
Yep, she most definitely did better than that little Cindy, alright!
But it wasn't just my daughter that was having a learning moment.
Because, I admit, I had been feeling just a little concerned for her in all this.
As we talked, however, I felt that God was reminding me also to trust Him with my children in all things- big and small. This probably constitutes small by most definitions, but since we took the time to pray and put it in His hands, there I must leave it, the same as she must.
And truly, I was so proud of her for actually memorizing her lines and going for it.
For a somewhat shy girl (with a somewhat shy mom, I admit it!) it took initiative and courage on her part!
And whether she gets any extra role....or simply sings her heart out with the rest of the choir... I think she'll be content enough.
And her daddy and I will be two extremely proud parents in the audience, cheering her on.

For those of you waiting for the continuing story of the bed, I promise to give you the ending on my next post!
Also, Midlife Mom over at Home on the Range is having a giveaway for her 250th post! Two gifts to choose from, but you only have until Wednesday, so hurry on over!








24 comments:
What a great story, and a great lesson. Care Bear sings and acts and performs like crazy at home, then instantly gets stage fright when she gets up front. I hope she gets over it, because she could have so much fun being in the children's musicals. And she's only 5. I'm glad your sweet girl is at the point of being okay with anything.
Girly Girl is the same way. She is a naturally talented singer, pianist, and actress, but she is not a stage hog or public "ham". In fact, for a few years she was so shy that I feared (oh we silly mothers!) that she was abnormal. Now she is eight and has sung and danced on stage - but no solos. She doesn't have that attention grabbing ego like a near relative of hers (that would be moi).
Silly-Head, on the other hand, has an hilarious sense of humor, but prefers watching to performing.
Sounds like a growing experience for both of you. One of the many lessons of life is that God does not always answer our prayers or desires as we want but HE DOES ANSWER AS HE KNOWS BEST.
Susan
Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Yeah, the whole "Muskrat Love" song, it wasn't one of my favorites to tell the truth! Funny how we both thought of it at the same time!
I see that your children are young still whereas mine are almost nearly grown and gone. My 2 oldest daughters (25 & 30) are married with their own children. Our youngest daughter (20 soon to be 21) is getting married this year. Our son is a junior in high school and will be 18 in October. I love how even though there are differences, it's being sisters in Christ which binds all of our hearts as one!
Life Groups are such an amazing tool in the local church. It's wonderful cultivating those "Level 10 Relationships" that our Pastor belives that we as Believers need! Ypu gotta be able to go beyond "The Cowboys" and the weather!
Reading about the auditions made me think: Just goes to show you that we are never to old to learn the lessons are kids are learning!
Have a blessed week!
Connie
I hope she hears back soon! Waiting is no fun.
This reminds me of the time when my son was a little one. He was supposed to be doing his kindergarten production. Instead he just stood there smiling and waving. Afterwords, we asked him why he hadn't sung or done the things he had practiced for--his answer?--people were taking my picture so I had to smile and wave!
My son who is an actor says it is perfectly normal to feel terrified during auditions so your daughter did fabulous I am sure.
God is so good and it sounds to me like you handled everything perfectly!
Thanks for the shout out! One more day to go and I will announce the winners. That is such a wonderful story about your little girl. Oh the things we can learn through these experiences and grow as a person and as a Christian. thank you for sharing it with us as we can learn from it too! xoxox
Oh, Tammy I have felt those same feelings you described with my own girls through the years.
I could say so much about this since both of my girls have participated in this type of thing. I think I learned alot about myself in the process.
You are wise not to put too much emphasis on whether or not she actually gets a part or not. But the experience of getting in front of people is good, especially if God has given her that ability.
It it always in the life lessons that God brings the greatest knowledge..... and how wonderful that we can help our children with those life lessons..... and in the mean time...... what wonderful lessons He teaches us....
Oh I would be so proud too! That takes a lot of guts to do that. I hope she gets a part! It is neat how you turned it into a learning moment! That's a good mother!
Hugs, Sharon
Sounds like y'all handled it all really well! And I know you are so proud of her, hope it all goes well and that she hears back soon.
Not much feels small when it's your kids youre dealing with. Sounds like you guys handled it well, and whatever the outcome you'll feel good watching her do her thing in church, acting or singing.
I swear, Tammy, as I read through this, I couldn't help but think, this must be how the people who try out for American Idol feel when they have to go into that room full of judges, and leave their families outside.
I know you're proud of her for even having the courage to do that. I know for sure I couldn't do it.
Who knows? She may be the next Julia Roberts, given a little time. Imagine that!
It's not uncommon for kids to freeze when they go before an audience. I hated speech day at school. I didn't mind writing the speech but did hate presenting it to the class. I wish your daughter well. She seems very well adjusted and I'm sure she will be okay with the results either way.
Thank you for your comments on my post. I appreciate the prayers for Michelle and all of your love and support. I'm glad you and the children are enjoying the black history that I'm adding to each post. The month is running out and I haven't covered nearly all that I'd like to. Maybe in March I will add some other history posts. I'm a history buff and enjoy doing that or maybe I will bring back my "This Day in History" that I used to add to my sidebar.
Take care and thanks for being a great friend.
Blessings,
Mary
I hung on every word of that story. I think you definitely should be proud of your daughter. I hate getting up in front of people. I have had to speak in front of pastors' wives before and although I think I do fine and have been told I was inspiring, I was SCARED TO DEATH and sick as could be before hand.
Good for you and good luck for the outcome. It is indeed in God's hands.
What a sweet story. You are such a good mom to encourage her and make her laugh and forget her disappointment. Do let us know what happens.
Hey Tammy,
I love this lesson in life you were able to have with your sweet girl. I pray that whatever happens she will remember a mother who cared enough to go through it with her.
So far, I've not gotten the bug, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! I hope we're on the mend now. I've never heard of such a flu epidemic as this one. I'll be glad when it goes away!
What a great attitude, and what a great example you are to your little one!!
Jennifer R.
When I was in elementary school, they were having some kind of a quiz show & I was chosen for one of the ones to take part. I developed a huge case of "Mike fright" & froze when the microphone was put in front of me. Needless to say I was very embarassed. Luckily I got over that in later years, & sang & spoke to a lot of people using a microphone.
I too was shy when I was younger, & I think a lot of it has to do with doing things in front of one's peers.
Mom, I don't think I knew that story!
I enjoyed this story. I imagine she did much better than she thinks.You certainly were given good opportunities to help her learn from the experience--either way it goes!
You must be so proud. What a brave girl. Whatever the outcome, I know she's proud of herself too.
Hugs!
Kat
a very thought provoking post.
When my kids didn't perform up to their ability I was always so disappointed.
Hey! I remember that Cindy Brady rerun.
Post a Comment