
I am almost a day late with my Show and Tell, hosted by Kelli at There is No Place Like Home...
but I wasn't here until this afternoon!
You see, the girls and I just returned from a sleep-over visit to my mom's.
Bless her heart, she misses us so much since we live almost an hour away...but by the time we leave, she is so ready to have a breather!
Now to remind you, she is 80...soon to turn 81. And yet, she cooked up some fish sticks, mac and cheese, with a side order of peas for us all, which are all favorites with my kiddos!
In turn, the next morning, I helped sort through more boxes of old papers, making a huge bag of paper recyclables. We're getting ready to finish putting in new floors for her, so she can finally put her house up for sale (and move closer!)
But as always happens, I found a few treasures mixed in.
Here are two of the cards I found...
The first one is of my dad's funeral\memorial service. I don't know if I had a copy of this before, so am so glad I found it. I still remember the immense grief I felt on that June day in 1988... the tears that would not stop...yet, a feeling of comfort having friends and loved ones with my mom and I...
and a sense of subtle joy that my father had loved the Lord and that he was now in such a wonderful place...where I'd one day see him again.
The second card is one that I gave my grandmother in 1980 when I was just seventeen. She had just recently moved in with us, which was a difficult transition for her independent spirit.
We had such a close relationship all my growing up years and I still miss her to this day.
Here's what I wrote inside "God bless you. I love you, Gammee, you mean very much to me!"
Simple and to the point...and so heartfelt, believe me!
And one more treasure...

Here I am, about to baptized at the tender age of nine.
I still remember this time very well...and hard to believe that now my own oldest daughter will be turning nine later this year!
She has accepted Christ into her heart so I believe it won't be long before she is ready to also make this public confession of faith.
And I have to say...when I find pictures of myself as a child, I sometimes have to do a double-take...to make sure it's not really one of my own girls! I never thought about them looking so much like me until I see us at the same exact ages!
We had such a nice, relaxing time with "Nammy" and my girls are always excited to sleep in my old double bed every time they come down!

And speaking of beds...when I got home, there was a surprise waiting for me.
For six loooooong years I have endured our sl*ep number bed. I know, I know...they're supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. And maybe you have one and it works for you.
But let's just say that they don't tell you how it really is going to be when your husband is like an 11 and you're a 79...and you have to cling to your side only or fall into into the abyss....
Well, when I got home (and he was still at work) and we walked into my room, the girls and I noticed something different about the bed. It was...higher.
But more on my next post...to be continued... :)








24 comments:
So wonderful you were able to glean these treasurers. About your children looking like you. When I was young everyone always said I looked like my mother. I could never see it. But now that she is gone, and I am 70, when I look at pictures of her at 60, 70 I can see how very much I look like her!
Susan
it's always ncie to stumble upon treasure like that. i'm a sentimental person at heart so much so that becoz i keep all my old stuff - i might turn into a hoarder in my later years!! lol =P that said, my little one will be baptised soon too. it's wonderful to be loved by God. :D
Ah! The suspense! :o)
(I was baptized when I was 10!)
Ooooo...a bed surprize! I can't wait to hear the rest...
(especially since i know your pain. We suffered through a D*** temperpedic for 3 years. UGH! I was so glad to see it go!
What wonderful treasures you found while going through those things! I'm sure it brought back lots of memories for you. How nice to visit your Mom and have a sleep over. Your kids will always remember those fun times. That will be so nice when she moves closer.
What another great find of the picture of you getting baptized! I wish I had a picture of when I did but we just weren't into taking pictures much in church back then. Now I will be right on the platform when my grandkids take that step! lol! My 5 year old granddaughter told me the other day that she had asked Jesus into her heart in her room by herself! Wow! Brings tears to a grandmothers eyes!
I like those tv shows that you talked about especially the Duggars. It amazes me the energy that mom must have or else she is really good at delegating!
Great posts! xoxo
I'm having a give away so be sure and stop by!
What beautiful treasures you came across. And I almost thought that was one of your daughters in the baptismal tank. Wow, you look alike at that age.
Oooo, a cliff hanger! I always wondered about those beds and how that would work. "fall into the abyss". You are too funny.
Oh Tammy I love these treasures you shared with us. I also have the memories of the love that was poured out when my mom died (and grandma,too). Great post!
I so loved having you here & the latest art masterpieces turned out by my granddaughters are now on "Nammy's fridge. I'm glad that you got a new matress. I always hated the extra long twin matresses which graced our bed when your dad was alive. The foam thing that was over the crack between the two matress didn't allow for a comfortable cuddle. I got rid of them after he passed away & love my Queen with a foam pad on top. Hope you like your new one.
I love that picture of your baptism.
I can't wait to hear more about the bed...you have my attention.
It's nice that you were able to have such a nice visit with your mom and find treasures.
Those are some wonderful treasures you found. Good for you! It sounds like you've been blessed with such a loving family, and they've given you many happy memories. ;o)
Thanks so much for stopping by for my first Show and Tell. I've really been enjoying it!
Sounds like a fun time with your mom and look at that, you found more treasures while going through some boxes:-) Love the cards and that picture of you at your baptism is just precious. I've always noticed how much your girls look like you!! No one could ever say they're not your kids! lol Hmmmm...how cruel to leave us in suspense about the bed! lol xoxo
Tammy,
What wonderful family treasures the card and the photo are. I'm so glad you found them. I still have some cards that Grandma gave to me and they are precious to me.
I wonder what is going on with that bed. I have always wanted one of those. Now I'm wondering, so will have to make sure I read your next post.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post today.
Blessings,
Mary
I'm so glad you found those sweet treasures!
YOu always find such wonderful things when you're at your mom's. I am glad she'll be able to move closer to you. You definitely are your girls' mother, no doubt about that! Your dad has been gone 20 years already - amazing.
The sleep number bed story kind of tickled me - I didn't realize you would fall into an abyss! I'm glad we didn't buy one. We have an incredibly tall mattree which we paid a lot for. But now we don't like it very much. It's such a huge investment, and seems to be hard to find just the right onw. Maybe next time!
Those are special treasures...I am such a sentimental person too. I save all of such things too.
It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your Mom. Those times are something sweet to cherish.
It sounds as if you got a brand new bed...or a wonderful new mattress!
Sleep well tonight!
Hugs,
Sue
Hi Tammy,
Thank you for visiting me today and leaving a comment. I enjoyed reading your post for Friday. Your pictures were nice.
Tammy, do you mind telling me where you found your post divider? I have looked all over the net and can't find any pretty ones. Thanks.
Hi Tammy,
What fun to have a sleepover and look through some family treasures! Loved seeing the picture of you at your baptism. As others have said, I also have always thought your girls looked very much like you.
I laughed at your description of the sleep number mattress. They sure make them sound desirable on TV, don't they! Can't wait to read your next post..
xo
I am always a bit jealous when I see photo's of events in other peoples lives. I was number 8 - and I think my folks had long given up the camera. Very few pictures of my childhood. Most of them taken by siblings that I have.
awww... let me know about your new bed. I've never been happy with my bed either.
What wonderful treasures, Tammy! It's always nice to discover surprises like that!
Hugs,
Kelli
Such a great treasure you have found...... I had a Grandmother that I so loved...... and miss her much..... I have many cards that she sent me along the years and they are treasures that there is not money to buy...... what a great gleaning !!!!!! and I bet your Mom will be glad to get closer to you........
My dad died in 1987. I am happy that your Mom plans to move closer to you.. both for you and for her.
Tammy- I love the baptism picture. What a treasure! I have never in my life been told I look like either of my parents until I posted my mom's high school graduation photo on her 81st birthday last month. Many, many people said how much I look like her. And...can't wait to hear more about the bed!
((HUGS)) For showing us very
private memories from your life.
Have a wonderful day!
I know you'll be excited when your mom can move closer! I bet she loves y'all being able to help her clean everything out. And I was thinking the same thing when I saw the sweet picture of you being baptized! Your girls do look so much like you when we see you at that age.
You're keeping us hanging about the bed!
Post a Comment