
Before I begin Friday's Show and Tell, I wanted to thank a sweet new friend of mine- who also is named Tammy- for giving me not one, but two awards recently!


Her blog name couldn't be more perfect for her- Country Girl at Home- because she presents her lovely family and country home with such a gracious spirit,
And though we come from different parts of the country, I think we already feel like kindred spirits.
Thank you so much, Tammy!
I will hopefully be "paying it forward" by awarding these in my next post!


And now for Show and Tell!
This week I wanted to show another little peek into my past.
I have managed to save so much from my childhood, but today's item isn't my usual toy or stuffed animal, but one of my jewelry boxes which was given to me when I was very young. There is nothing ornately beautiful about it, really...

I believe it was given to me from my Uncle L. (my mom's brother) and at the time, I didn't appreciate it very much because it wasn't pretty and feminine, like my other little jewelry box. That one had a beautiful ballerina that spun around to delicate music every time I opened it...but not this one.
Still, I guess I thought this little box was a good place to stash a few little keepsakes.
I hadn't opened it in years, and when I did today, it was fun to see what greeted me...

I fumbled through the contents...and saw all these letters...

I soon realized that almost all of them were written to me while I was either away at a Girl Scout camp, or from those I met there after I came home.
I can tell you, I do remember bits and pieces of that camp. I think I was around eleven or twelve.
And I did not have such a wonderful time there!
I was SO homesick and some of the girls were not all that wholesome for being Girl Scouts, sad to say.
But I did make a few friends, along with some wonderful teen camp counselors, and some of these letters were from them.
If you were a teen counselor, by the way, you got to have a fun "camp name"...such as "Chipmunk", "Pooh", "Daisy"... and most of these gals were so sweet, which made that time bearable.
Also in my green jewelry box, were also countless letters from my mom, who faithfully wrote me almost every day. I think she understood my homesickness and tried to keep the tone upbeat...she even put little G.S. logo stickers on them!

On the little top shelf of my box are several stamps that I had collected...I wasn't a true stamp collector, by any means, so just have a few. In this box were nine and I pulled out a few at random to take a picture...

And it's a little hard to see, but the one on the left was a Bicentennial stamp.
And yes, postage was then up to ten cents...crazy inflation times.
A lot of the others were off of envelopes sent to me from my pen pal, who was my age and lived in Iceland. Iceland! The other side of the world!

Through opening my simple, plain little green jewelry box, I open a tiny window into my past...with pockets of memories that might have been lost even to me if it wasn't for these little reminders.
Of penpals... summer camp...Girl Scouts...
and a mom who faithfully penned a letter each day, walked them to the mailbox, and most likely prayed countless prayers for her little girl who was miles away.
For more Show and Tell participants, visit Kelli at There is No Place Like Home!








28 comments:
I just love seeing stamps. I have collected them for many years and when mom passed away i got most of her stamps also. thanks for sharing them
What treasures!!! Penpals...boy, does that bring back a lot of memories, or what? Love this show n tell.
My show n tell is about my favorite author today. Hope you can find time to stop by! And there is a link left at the bottom -- for a gift for you.
Happy Friday.
What a wonderful show and tell!! I love that you enjoyed your memories upon opening it!
How precious is your memories The jewelry box is priceless and to find your old letters and reread them, thank you for sharing them.
Have a wonderful Friday!
Kathi :)
What special memories those older letters must have. Hang on to them. Thanks for sharing.
Tammy,
Every time you show and tell something from your past, I am so convinced that we might be "long lost sisters"!! I have a very similar jewelry box that I love. It still has some of my "treasures" in it from my younger years too.
Thanks for sharing yours and reminding me of mine!!
:-) Susan
What a lovely show & tell. It's always fun to find treasures from the past that bring back memories.
Thanks for sharing, and have a wonderful weekend.
being the youngest of 8, my mom had long quit saving stuff (no room to put stuff and I think she was worn to a frazzle) -- so I didn't understand or learn the joys of keepsakes. Even now I'm not very good at that.
So it's fun for me to see your things -- and be a bit jealous at the same time
How fun finding old letters. That box is precious.
What a fun time that must have been going over those letters and things! I'd love to have a window like that to my younger self.
So wonderful you hung on to this and get to savor those memories.
By the way on my S&T today of my doll. I would LOVE for your girls to name my sweet doll. That would make her even more special :o) She has green eyes and reddish hair. Don't know if that shows up that well in the pictures.
Susan
Tammy, You and the girls go see the Addendum to my post :o)
Susan
Will again try to leave a comment with my new sign up system with Yahoo. I too am running across letters & cards from my wonderful big brother. I miss him so & can't part with his cards & notes that I run across. I didn't realize the Jewel box was from him & am glad I kept it for you. Yahoo keeps rejecting my password
MOM
Oh...I LOVED girl Scout Camp!!!! Loved, loved, LOVED IT! Then again, I've always been fairly independent and I only recall being homesick twice in my entire life...ever. And once was beause I was quite ill and just wanted my own bed.
By the way, MY counselors were Chipmunk, Pooh, and Daisy too. I was known to all as "Buckskin" after my favorite model plastic horse at home
How fun to find things from our past. I wish I had more, but we finally had to throw stuff again when my folks finally decided they couldn't move our precious memories any more when we were grown. We didn't have room for all of them in our little house. My kids have a lot of stuff at my house that I'd like to have gone, but they don't have room either!
I love stamps.I enjoyed your shoe and tell. Have a great weekend.
Lisa
My daughter went to GS camp several summers. She had a wonderful time there. She doesn't say she was homesick. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But I know you cherish these letters.
Mama Bear
Such a nice post. I especially like how your Mom wrote every day and walked the letters to the mailbox. I didn't like summer camp either, just went one year and that was enough. Did work there for a summer though and liked that. What a fun find for you and the rememberances of times gone by!
What a wonderful show and tell, Tammy! What a sweet trip down memory lane and I loved seeing your childhood treasures!
~Kelli
I love to find things I have forgotten like this. Great post!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I too love to save some stamps and coins. I used to write to missionaries when I was younger and still have most of the stamps from that. Great post and wonderful memories.
What a great little treasure box. How sweet to have kept all those letters until now.
Congratulations on your awards. Have a great weekend.
What a great keepsake! Love the old Girl Scout things, etc.
Kathy (mimisgarden.blogspot.com)
Once again you have brought me back to my childhood. I remember sending and receiving letters with camp friends. I used to keep a few stamps, too.
My mother had a jewelry box like yours. I had totally forgotten all about it.
Great reminder of another life.
my mom collects stamps and i love seeing them in albums. i used to have pen pals but we weren't able to get in touch. God bless you!
What a treasure you have... small bits of the past that mean so much. I always got homesick at camp too!
Stamps at 10 cents... I had forgotten those days.
Congrats on your award. You are deserving my friend.
You are a treasure trove of memories, Girl!
When I think of Summer Camps... or Camps period... I think of that old song "Hello Mother Hello Father"! ~ jb///
Post a Comment