Monday, July 21, 2008

Mommy Vacation Time- Year Three


This post isn't as long as it looks. Really. And a few of you just may find a surprise tucked into it for you!

Some of you who have been stopping here for a long time may remember that each year, my husband's large family (and assorted spouses and children) converge at the same campground on the coast.
(They've been doing this since the their parents began in the late 50's and it's continued all of these decades!
)

And as some of you also may remember, for the last few years I have not gone...it's been my own little Mommy Vacation.


It's really hard to believe that the time is here once again.
(In fact, I just looked back and re-read my previous posts from not only last year but two years ago! Time has truly flown at the speed of light, I think...)

I just helped send off my family last this morning...making sure hair was braided, special activities and "luvvies" were in tow, toothbrushes were packed, special mommy notes were tucked into suitcase pockets...


Only this time, because they are staying almost a whole week, I am thinking seriously of joining them in a few days when my sister in law drives out there. Yes, I am.
Now, this would be a first for me in about three years! But not seeing my family for six whole days is pushing this solitude thing just a bit far...so we'll see!

What will I do with at least three days of alone time on my hands, you ask?

Oh, there will be the usual boring stuff...
catch up on house cleaning, finish organizing the school room...


but...
I really, really hope to finally tackle writing the end of the novel I started a few years back. At least make a dent in the ending!


I will also be getting out the dusty scrapbooking supplies, maybe watch an old movie, and basking in the sunshine with a good book on the hammock I got for Mother's Day! (Are you jealous yet?)



In fact, I just borrowed an interesting looking book from a friend yesterday by Francine Rivers called "Unspoken" and I can't wait to get into it!


Speaking of this friend, she and her husband, along with their sweet little boys, graciously had us all over for a barbecue and swim in their neighborhood pool on Sunday it was such a refreshing time!
(Thank you M and J!!!)

I will use the topic of gracious friends to segue into passing on award I was given recently....(Thank you, again, Tammy from Country Girl at Home!)

The rules are to pass it on to seven other blogs and link to them... And even though seven seems like a lot, there it's still difficult to present this to only seven when there are SO many of you that I love to visit! (Some of you may have already received this, but if you have, just know you are extra appreciated!)

1) Susanne from Living to Tell the Story.
Not only has she become a dear friend, but she always seems to have a recipe to share, a book to review, or just some wonderful insight.


2) Midlife Mom from Home on the Range.
Visiting her, you can almost smell the country air as she tells about her life on her beautiful acreage, complete with horses!


3) Dawn from
Call Me Grandma Dawn.
I think I met her after I had only been blogging a few months and I love that when I visit her, it's like sitting down at her kitchen table with a cup of coffee and a good friend.
She has just recently retired and added twin baby granddaughters to her family in the past six months, so it's fun to peek into her life as she enjoys this interesting phase of her life.

4) Leigh Ann from
Living to Learn and Learning to Live.
She is a young mom who seems to not only have such a good heart, but a super sense of humor, as well!


5) Susan from
Penless Writer.
She is a dear lady who is such a blessing in blogland! Married for 49 years, she is a woman of much wisdom and a woman of prayer!


6)Barbie at
Mamaology.
A young mom to four little girls, who also does home day care as she and her husband move towards a life in ministry, she is an amazing example of someone who strives to be the best wife and mom, savor each moment, while trusting in God to lead their family each and every day.

7)Nancy at Daily Blessings.
Nancy is such a dear blogging friend, and it always amazes me how- though her posts are usually not very long at all- how she seems to convey so very much in them without using many words!
As her blog name implies, she certainly is a blessing to blogland.



I actually had another award to give out, but it will have to wait until another post.

Not that I'm busy or anything...but now I need to visit all of
you now, and besides, I apparently don't have Nancy's gift of saying so much in few words.

But that's right, no dinner to hurry and fix for the family this week.
Cooking vacation! WOO!

I know some of you who love to cook are shaking your heads at me, but really, this is the thing that I sometimes dread the most.

What to do for dinner to make everyone reasonably happy, on a budget, and without a lot of...of you know... cooking.


In fact, I just ate a healthy light spinach salad- aren't you proud of me?


Of course, that's not to say I may not eat a big bowl of root beer float ice cream while watching HGTV later...

To be continued...

So, what do YOU do, if and when you get time to yourself?

19 comments:

Susie said...

Dear Tammy,
Has it truly been a year? Seems like much less than that!
I know you'll enjoy your alone time, but maybe you'll enjoy the ocean too.
It's such a beautiful part of nature.
I read many of those blogs that you passed your award to, and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I'm one of those who likes to cook, but only when I have someone to cook for. I'd be with you on the sandwich or a salad (and of course on the root beer float!)
Have a fun time!!
xoxo

Michelle said...

I remember when you posted about that last year! I think it sounds like a good plan to join them for the last few days so you get your alone time (lucky you!) and then get to join them on the camping adventure!

Susanne said...

A week would be really hard to be by myself with the family gone, too, I think. But boy, could I think of some good reading time I could get into especially if I had that hammock!

Thank you for that award and the sweet words, Tammy! I'm so glad I met you in this blog world and I hope one day we can manage an actual real life meeting!

Dawn said...

We have definitely been doing this blog friend thing for awhile - I remember the first one!

I am one, like you, who loves a bit of solitude. I have attempted to carve out my mornings in this new retirement thing, so the kiddoes don't run down here, or even call. When I'm alone, I mostly like to READ!! I have a bad habit of not seeing the other stuff that needs to be done. I also like to take my book and go get something light and cheap for dinner. I, too, love a vacation from having to grocery shop, menu plan, and execute a meal.

Thank you so much for the kind words - I would love nothing more than to sit down at one of our kitchen tables and have a good conversation IRL - but is it okay if I have tea or a Diet Dr. Pepper?

Camping is not my cup of tea (or Diet Dr. Pepper), but being on the coast with the family sounds like a bit of fun!

Anonymous said...

Well, now that I am an empty nester, one might say all my time is free. And since I'm such a slow person, I do spend a lot of time doing nothing or rather thinking about what I'm going to do.
Reading is a good choice, scrapbooking, too. I think you should spend this time doing just what you want, even if it is just sittin and thinking.
I can't believe your hubby actually goes without you. Mine sure wouldn't. He'd say, well then, I won't go either. Honestly, I can't remember His ever going to any family gathering without it being my idea. But I do think it is great that his family does this annualy.
Mama Bear

Unknown said...

Tammy
Enjoy your alone time. All of us deserve that once in a while.
Have fun. Lisa

Ruth said...

Your Novel is one of the things I had on my old computer  that crashed, so I will look forward to seeing the completed version in a printed out form from you sometime.  I'm glad that you are getting some mommy time, since I had just a taste of my active little grandchildren when you visited, "Nammy was a bit tuckered out when you all left.Ruth

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I've missed coming by, Tammy! I've been covered up with "stuff"...new appliances...school stuff...Kids Crusade...our giveaway...you name it! Anyway, I've missed you! You really deserve a blogging award! It's a happy place over here and I feel like you're a great friend already! I can't wait for us to share homeschooling stories too!

Have a Happy Tuesday, Tammy!

~ Tammy ~ (The other one)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh by the way, I have to admit, Tammy, that I am a tid bit jealous...I just want maybe a day or two to catch up on stuff and that would be enough! Have fun with your little vacation! Tell us all about it!

Tammy

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Tammy,

Gosh, you're right, it doesn't seem that long ago since you had your mommy vacation time! I'm sure you'll find plenty to do but make sure it's not all work and no play! hehe It would certainly be the perfect time to finish writing your novel. As for joining your family later in the week, that's an idea as well, I'm sure they'd love to have you there:-) I love cooking but I also appreciate the days when I don't have to! lol I'm comin' right over for a root beer float! xoxo

Nancy said...

Thanks Tammy for the award and the kind words~ I feel honored. I do strive to keep it "short but sweet", a talent I inherited from my dad.

Good luck with that novel... I hope you will share with your readers.

Enjoy your alone time. I enjoy my solitude as well!

Barb said...

I have a feeling you will be joining them. I know you love this little break every year, but a week is an awfully long time.

I'm with you. When it's just me, I don't cook. I think your spinach salad sounds perfect!

Jill said...

Enjoy your time off. I can't believe it's been a year already. I honestly don't know what I'd do with that much time to myself. Finish home decorating project, read, watch movies and eat something sinful probably.

Dawn said...

Days off? Read and read and read... in silence! Stay up late and sleep in late.

I'll bet you join them!

Blessings wherever you decide to be!

Anonymous said...

That sounds heavenly! I would definitely get out the scrapbooking supplies!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Thank you Tammy:) What sweet words you said about me...made me blush:).

I LOVE your Mommy vacations and I truly can not believe it has been a year already? I pray you enjoy your 3 days...lots of productivity and down time all mingled together.

And then I agree with you, you should go this year in a few days. What a great way to have the best of both worlds:).

Whatever you choose have a great week!

Midlife Mom said...

Thank you Tammy so much for the lovely award! I am very touched and will proudly display it on my sidebar!!!! It seems just like a few weeks ago that you were going to have your Mommy vacation! My how time flies!!! I haven't had a rootbeer float for years and years. I was just thinking the other day that I should introduce my grandkids to that treat! A novel eh? Do we get to read it? You could put it in installments! I like to cook but it sure is nice to have a night off and just have pizza or some other take out. When I am here alone I might just have a dish of cereal for supper! Enjoy your time alone and if you do go to the coast enjoy that too!!

Momma Roar said...

Aw, thanks!!

Enjoy your time - right now I'm wishing I had some "me time" - wow, there is a lot to do this summer.

Have fun!

gail@more than a song said...

I think your plan to split it up sounds perfect! You get the best of both, some time to yourself and then join them for the rest of the fun!
I get more time to myself than you do I imagine; but one day you'll have more than you want. I read, play on the computer and other things to waste my time!