Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Childlike Faith


As I rode in the car with my girls this week, four year old cherub asked, out of the blue,

"How does Jesus fit in my heart? He is SO big!"

Lil Cherub had asked Jesus into her heart at the very tender age of 3.

Some might say that she was too young to understand what she was doing...that perhaps it didn't "take".
But as our conversation unfolded, she told me that she had Jesus in her heart because she remembers asking Him.
"Remember I asked Him when I was 3?"

Of course, just as she has to mature as a person, she'll have to grow and mature through the years in Christ.
She'll fail, occasionally, and falter.
But I believe when she, with true child-like faith, asked Jesus to come into her heart, He accepted her very child-like faith and did just as she asked.

"Suffer the little children to come unto Me, for such is the Kingdom of God."

Because just as I tried to explain to her, reaching for theological correctness but in terms she could grasp...
"Jesus doesn't come into our hearts unless He's been invited. But when He is, His spirit comes inside our hearts..."

"Forever?" asked Cherub.

"Yes, forever. Because He loves us just as parents love their children," I told her.

And I don't think God is a respector of persons.

At church on Sunday, a young, articulate man gave his testimony. He had accepted Christ as a teen, but somehow had lost his way and one day found himself serving a seven-year term for armed robbery. He was alone and frightened, wondering just how in the world he had sunken so low...
But God had not forgotten him. During his prison term, he reached the end of himself (not unlike the prodical son in the parable) ande cried out to Him.
And Christ met him right where he was.
Or rather...He had always been there, not wanting to let him go or give up on this child of his, pursuing him with a passion.

Because no matter if we are an ex-convict, a homeless drug addict, or a tiny three year old child...He loves us all and will hear us when we call. And when we accept Him with childlike faith.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son...that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

17 comments:

ruth said...

It was so heartwarming to learn that my youngest granddaughter had accepted the Lord when she was 3. I don't recall you ever telling me about it, but I know she has such a tender little heart & shows such concern for other people.
ruth

TJ said...

very well said, by both you and your cherub!!
:-D

Pamela said...

Just adore how your Lil Cherub pondered "How does Jesus fit in my heart? He is sooo big!" So precious!

You are so right God is always there for us and will forgive us and guide us. He will satisfy our needs in a sun-scorched land. He will always quench our thirst if we will just lean on Him and trust Him, like a spring whose waters never fail. :)

Tammy said...

Thank you Mom, Tammy and Pamela...

Somehow I had a feeling that perhaps I wouldn't get a lot of replies to this- not sure exactly why- jsut had a feeling.
But sometimes it's not about a lot of replies. Hopefully, someone who needed to read this will be blessed, or encouraged, or maybe moved to reach out to the Lord for even the first time in childlike faith...and even if I never even know it...it's still worth it.
Not because this post is so profound or anything...but because it is just a simple truth which flowed out of my heart, possible for a reason.

Anonymous said...

very true...

I'm still unable to leave comments with my name...Yellow Mama

Barb said...

This is beautiful, Tammy. Your story about that young man's testimony really moved me. And yes, Jesus suffers the little children to come to Him. Of course he does and I love it that she wonders how he can fit in her heart because he is so big.

And guess what? I think I finally figured out that Ruth is your mother. I mean, you calling her Mom was a dead giveaway. LOL

Mississippi Girl said...

This is SOOO sweet. SO sweet! Beautiful post, Tammy!
Jennifer R.

ruth said...

Since we're still having problems with our e-mails, I just wanted to let you know I posted today on my blog about Pearl Harbor.
ruth

Susannah said...

Isn't that precious! Tammy, you must be thrilled to know your daughter has a little seedling of faith bursting forth! Just keep feeding it with your words of wisdom. You are doing the most important job in the world. I remember my daughter (at 4) spontaneously raising her hands in praise toward the Lord. (We're Presbyterians!) I will remember that moment forever. Perhaps you'll remember these words too: "How does Jesus fit in my heart? He is sooo big!" Makes me smile.

So Ruth is your Mom? I'll have to check out her link!

Tammy said...

That is very sweet!

Thank you for visiting my blog. You are my first reader that is not a friend I have invited to read it, lol! I will be visiting your blog from time to time now. I hope to have you back on mine soon too.

Anonymous said...

very well put....

...sorry, I'm behind on reading blogs

Anonymous said...

My eldest accepted Jesus when she was 3, while listening in the back seat to a Kay Arthur program. She is now almost 9 and was just baptised, after having led both her brother and sister to Christ (her sister was baptised with her.)

Wonderful story.

Dawn said...

I was 3 when I asked Jesus into my heart. It has stuck!! My 4-year-old granddaughter is talking about heaven today. It is great.

Thanks for stopping by my birthday blog. Maybe you can stop by the girls' blogs as well.

Have a wonderful week-end!

Dawn said...

I meant to say one more thing - my son was a prodigal, and I have blogged about him at times in the past. His wife, one of the birthday girls (Twenty Eight Celsius) is starting to blog about her experiences throughout his struggles. He has been delivered and is living a new, clean life. Praise the Lord!

Carole Burant said...

Another heartwarming post...it's wonderful to see such faith in little children! My favourite saying has always been..."Faith doesn't get you out of trouble, it gets you through it".

Anonymous said...

*Smile*

Anonymous said...

So sweet, beautiful post.