Friday, December 01, 2006

I hear those Sleigh Bells Ringing...







Wow. December 1st is here. That means I can officially decorate for Christmas now!

You see, we are the "Wait until it's at least December" breed of celebrators. (Is that a word?) Not the "Thanksgiving Weekend" variety. Nothing against all of you who do deck the halls bright and early...after all, I did turn up the car radio really loud when "Sleigh Bells" came on, while driving with my family last weekend...not to mention the fact that I have most of my Christmas shopping done already!

And the tree? Starting about five years or so ago, we always drive through the country to a tree farm and cut down our own fresh tree.
Lest you think that's purely a Norman Rockwell moment, let me assure you that hubby and I, both being....well, sort of non-complacent...have to point to at least five tree choices each before agreeing on a mutual one. But we always finally agree- and honestly, it's so much more fun than just going to a local tree lot downtown and shaking all the trees to find the one with the fewest flurry of needles.

Still, we never get our tree too early. We want to wait, to pluck the tree at just the right "ripeness" so that it wil remain fresh through New Year's Day.

(Yes, we're the "Leave-the-tree-up-to-New Year's type kinda' of people.)


Now we have a new problem. Her name is Mandy and she had four little legs that move as fast as lightening- with a curiosity that could rival that monkey, George, any day. So, I'm thinking that the bottom half of our tree will be just a little bare this year, with the ornaments nice and high...just like having a toddler again!


So, we may not actually go hunt down our tree until next
weekend...but we will begin to decorate a bit this weekend. Down will go the fall decor and hubby will put up the outside lights...and little by little, our place will begin to take on a Christmas mood.


But we did to one thing yesterday. I found what looked like a Precious Moments coloring book which they had received last Christmas. But in re-discovering it, I found it was actually a Nativity Scene! So my little girls and I put it together yesterday...our first decoration of the year!

Have a wonderful weekend as we embark on this blessed Christmas Season!

25 comments:

Looney Mom™ said...

Say what? Do I need a special decoder to read this? LOL!

Amy said...

Lasr year was the first we put up a full size tree since the kids arrived. Even then, it did get knocked over once (shivers) and a few ornaments were broken.

Susie said...

Do puppies outgrow that grabbing for the ornaments? (cats don't, so I'm just wondering)LOL!
We used to love to go to the tree farms to cut our tree, but only vineyards where the farms once were!
:-(

Anonymous said...

Well I can see nothing but symbols for the text in your post....am I missing something!

LaughterThoughts said...

uh-oh... whatever font you used turned into "windings" on my computer! but, now that i'm leaving a comment, i just hit the "show original post" and i can read it fine. :)

happy december! and have fun decorating. :) i took advantage of extra time during thanksgiving (and a husband off work) and got a lot of my stuff done.

Tammy said...

Sorry you guys!! Oh brother...I had trouble with the font while typing but I selected all, changed it, and then it looked fine! And on my computer it looked fine!

I just tried to fix it again...please, someone, tell me it looks fine now!

And yes...dogs do outgrow the grabbing at things...but this puppy right in the midst of those pesky puppy habits!

We play with her and give her plenty of exercise, but you can bet that we don't give her the run of the house when we're gone!

Anonymous said...

Getting ready for Christmas with kids in the house is so much fun! The Precious Moments nativity is sweet.

Big Mama said...

I lost more than a few ornaments when our dogs were puppies. It's just too much to resist.

ruth said...

Sounds like little Mandy is a bit of a scamp, but at least she's a girl & you don't have to worry about her lifting her leg & thinking it is an out door tree like you would if she were a male.
I want to decorate as well but will have to wait until I can get someone to carry in the boxes since I don't want to reinjure my back.
ruth

Susanne said...

I love that Precious Moments Nativity! I have a PM window sticky nativity that has gone up since the kids were very little.

I read this post just fine so whatever you did must have fixed it.

Anonymous said...

We are the same kind of people! Don't speak of Christmas decorating when the Thanksgiving carcass is not yet cold! *ROFL*
Bennie has put up the outside lights, and I have been decorating the tree (an artificial one... allergies). Rosie likes to go to bed and find out how I put things the next morning! *Smile*
Hope the pupster stays out of the tree. One year my sister Ann and I had cats that ate those silver icicles off the tree... Not pretty in the passing... *Wink*

Anonymous said...

Oops... Forgot to add... I love the nativity! We have gotten Rosie a Precios Moments ornament each Christmas! Last year, I was able to snag a tree top angel and little manger scene that are both PM! *Smile*

Anonymous said...

I can read it now too! Cute puppy.
We leave our tree up a bit after Christmas as well, trying to enjoy it for as long as possible; mine is up and being decorated now.

Dawn said...

The kids and their dad used to go up and cut down a tree the week-end of Kristen's birthday, which is the 8th. I'd stay home and create a fabulous cake for her and have something warm for them when they got home. But that went custom went away. The Precious Moments nativity is wonderful! I bought one of the Fisher Price nativity sets for the kiddoes to play with, since my good one was getting chipped up - I don't want them to not be able to play with Baby Jesus!

We were fortunate when we inherited both of our kids' cats that they were content to lay under the tree and look up. One of them broke a couple of balls, but nothing major like climbing up the inside to the top. We did lose our very first "special" ornament when our tree fell over one year while we were gone - we lost a lot, but that one was the most traumatic.

Have a wonderful week-end!

Carole Burant said...

I've never had a real tree...I know, I'm soooo deprived!! Mom said we did when I was a child but all I can remember is the artificial one she had! And I've had an artificial one since I've been married, 30 years ago! The puppy will have fun "helping" you decorate! hehe I remember the cat I had at home, he would jump up into our Christmas tree and make it fall over...mom finally tied the tree to a hook in the wall! lol She was NOT very impressed! hehe

Southern Girl said...

Oh, Mandy is so beautiful! It's making me all nostalgic -- we had a black Lab named Molly. She was the sweetest, smartest dog ever. An absolute joy. I hope you experience the same thing with Mandy.

(And yes, in my experience, dogs DO grow out of their fascination with Christmas trees and ornaments. Of course, my cat has grown out of that, too. ;) )

Randi said...

This is our decorating weekend too. Last year we started buying a live tree so we could plant it after Christmas. This makes my hubby, the tree-man, quite happy!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

Mandy is just adorable, but I don't envy you. Our lab is now two and crazy as a loon. Enjoy her while she's little, 'cause if you think kids grow fast, puppies have them beat hands down. Thanks for visiting my art website!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy! We always head to a tree farm too and cut our tree down. I could not imagine a fake tree, though I know many love it. It's so exciting that December is here! We've begun our advent celebrations nightly and the kids love it so much. Thanks for visiting today! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog today! :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog today! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for visiting my blog tonight! I love having visitors.. we should visit again most certainly:)

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those "never before December" decorators, too. We should be going to get our tree next weekend. I doubt that I'll do any decorating before then. Love your nativity!

Anonymous said...

So have you got your tree yet? I'll bet it is gorgeous coming straight off a tree farm.

someone else said...

I'm with you on when I can get myself going to decorate. I simply cannot do it until it's actually December, NOT the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment. Come back any time.