Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Keesbee

We have a new little friend at our house. Apparently, she is a tiny little friend with a sad and dramatic past- at least according to Four year old Cherub.
Oh- and the friend's name is Keesbee.

It all started when she and I were in the car, getting ready to leave somewhere last week, and I couldn't find my one set of house keys. I was talking outloud- partly to Cherub- as we waited for Seven year old Sweetiegirl to come out of the bathroom and join us for our errand.

"Where can my keys be?" I asked, realizing how cute it sounded to my own ears as I emphasized those last two words.

After a a few seconds of silence, Cherub said, quite seriously,
"I had a friend, Keys Be." Or as I like to spell it, myself- Keesbee.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes. I really miss Keesbee."

"Where did he go?"

"It's a girl. She moved to Mexico and she'll never be back again!" she replied, with much feeling.

"Maybe you can write to her?"

"No...I can't spell yet, and she's an ant. And her mother died!"

"Oh, that's very sad. Maybe she can come visit."

"Maybe."

A few days passed, and recently Keesbee did, indeed, come to visit. Only Cherub could see her, though. Keesbee apparently sits next to her on car rides only, confiding her troubles.

"She just told me that now her daddy died, too. And we have to take care of her."

"Poor Keesbee. Of course, we'll take care of her," I said. "By the way, was she one of the many ants we had last year in our house?" (We had an army invade our home last year, of which Cherub was terrified.)

"Yes....the other ants were her aunts."

Not to be left out, Seven year old Sweetiegirl reminded us of her old friends, Some and Sure. (Sure is actually pronounced Shuwwooora. Think Bronx.) We hadn't heard about them in awhile, but it seems they are now back from their hiatis in Disneyland where they resided for a year.

This is good, because we all missed Some and Sure. We're not exactly sure what species they are, but they always seemed like pretty good joes.

And I'm sure Keesbee, with her tragic past, will be glad for the company.

And maybe they'll find my keys.

10 comments:

TJ said...

really enjoyed this post...my daughter used to have an imaginary friend named Tommy...he got blamed for most everything bad...lol!!
:-D

Anonymous said...

Ha! This is so cute. I remember when my sister had a friend name Harshey and when we moved to California Harshey stayed in Montana never to be heard from again. Kids are just so fascinating!

Anonymous said...

Oh, have you seen the Christmas movie Beyond Christmas? It is rather cute!

Beck said...

That's cute! My kids have imaginary dinosaur and elephant friends called "Stomper" and "Ocky". Telling stories about them is one of the things they do with my mom.

Dawn said...

What great imaginations! That is such fun.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I remember when "Missy" was part of my son's life. Sadly, she moved away. I kinda miss her...even though she was invisible.

Hey, thanks for visiting His Unfinished Work! Love to see the comments. Come back any time!

Barb said...

Oh, Tammy, this made me smile. And now I miss all Mandy's imaginary friends. They drove me a little nuts when I had to set places (yes, plural) for them at dinner, but you know? I kind of miss them.

So sweet. This is the stuff you're going to be so glad you've recorded here some day.

ruth said...

I tried to comment earlier but had a problem with your site. What wonderful imaginations the girls have. I didn't have imaginary characters but I dreamed up two people for my sister & I to be named Tommy & Jean, a brother & sister. I was Tommy & she was Jean ,but don't remeber anything else about them other than the names. I think at the time I wanted to be a boy for some reason
ruth

Tammy said...

That's so great, to see our kids imaginations at work. My youngest daughter's imaginary friend is Ella, sister of the toothfairy, lol, and my oldest daughter's imaginary friend is the toothfairy!

Pamela said...

Darling and so cute! Kids just say and do the sweetest things. Is she worried about you when you are in the car maybe. The girls friends do sound like they are very nice people even though they come from hard times.

Hope your keys show up! :) lol