
Sunday night and all of yesterday, I was completely disconnected from the bloggy world. And though you all were not far from my thoughts (since I count so many of you as real friends!) my life actually did go on...it was amazing!
And best of all, I managed to almost complete my current read, "At Home in Mitford". (More on that in a few days!)
The reason for my short bloggy break was carpet.
I don't think I mentioned that we are putting new carpet in our living room as well as our little family room area (well, it's not a true family room because the lack of size...sort of an office-family room-laundry-piano room all wrapped up into a very small space!)
The old carpet had already pretty much lived out it's life when we moved in five years ago. Since then, we added our little ones, an old dog with a bladder problem, and a new puppy who liked to find those bad places and chew them to shreds.
So this weekend, the family room project was started. My incredible husband is doing all the work himself...including even putting in new underlying plywood in places- measuring and cutting and stomping down.
I actually anticipated helping him in this whole project, but whenever I pop in and ask what I can do, it seems to always be a point where I would be of no use whatsoever.
Except on Saturday, I did get to put my foot down on a piece of plywood for him. That was great.
But he's is really doing such a good job!
We picked out the durable Berber for this area, and he puts in some new vinyl for the adjoining laundry\bathroom tomorrow. Woohoo!
The living room will be, of course, different, but here's a swatch of what just went in under my feet for your viewing pleasure...
OK...kind of hard to get the feel of in this little square. I'll post a picture of the whole office-laundry area-family room when it's all finished.And honestly, don't you just love that new carpet smell! Or, am I the only one?
But for now, the drawback is that we're still living without washer\dryer hook-up, a downstairs toilet, and the above mentioned items sitting in my dining room.
Nothing works up an appetite like the sight of appliances and a potty in front of the table, don't you think?
Still, it's a small price to pay for getting rid of our old, worn out, smelly carpets. Plus, there's that whole laundry break thing.
Not to mention little perks...like the girls getting a kick out of eating TV dinners tonight in front of...well...the TV.
In all honesty, I'm completely thankful for these new carpets.
And I'm thinking some major pampering for hubby this Father's Day is due...
In the meantime, just know that I will try and catch up reading some of your posts throughout the day, in between finishing up our last full week of schooling for the year...all the while, looking straight ahead as we pass by "the dining room commode".








30 comments:
Nothing like new carpet to completely change the room. I had berber, before we replaced it 3 years ago, and loved it. It does wear like iron!
Susan
I LOVE new carpet. I HATE the smell. If we EVER get new carpet, it will have to be summer so I can open all the windows and run the fans full-blast to hasten the departure of all those evil odiferous carpet chemicals.
I have some fancy floor dreams, but I try to focus on being content with what we have. Our floor is huge and redoing it would be quite an expense, especially if we go the dream route!
Good for you! Hooray!
I'm looking forward to new carpet next spring! We're thinking Berber too! :o)
Sprucing up the house always feels SO good, doesn't it?
Boy did this bring back memories! We remodeled a kitchen in another house, and everything went into my dining room, too. I was washing dishes in the bathtub for 6 weeks!
I am so happy you've got new carpet. It makes such a difference in the look of your home, doesn't it?
I'm still sitting still most days, and I'm really getting inspired reading all these things you all are doing out in blogland!
Enjoy your summer!
Anything new for the house makes me smile. I don't mind new carpet smell unless it's basement where they glue it down. Then it makes my eyes cross. :v)
New carpet just perks up the whole room. I know you're going to love the Berber. We have it in several rooms and it wears very well.
Think of all the temporary chaos as just an adventure, say like camping indoors or something! Your hubby sounds like one very handy guy!!
xoxo
Enjoy that new carpet smell! LOL
How exciting. I know you will feel like your home has had a makeover. Okay, I admit, I am a little jealous! Enjoy it!
I can't say I've ever smelled new carpet... but I'm glad you are getting the chance. It's so neat to refresh and renew.
There's nothing like new carpet. We're due for it again. Congratulations to you, and also for having such a handy, willing husband!
I have to say, though, that I'm not crazy about the smell. We decided to not go berber, but we probably should have.
Ummm Tammy?...errrr...did you know you have a toilet in your dining room?? hehe Like you, I love the smell of a new carpet. I can just imagine how excited you are to be having it all done and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished project!! Oh, and, as for the toilet...at least you have an extra chair for guests!! LOL xoxo
I guess this not the time to come up for a visit since the toilet I use while I sleep on the futon bed in the family room is shall we say (indispossed he-he)& residing in the dining room.
I'm glad that you are getting the carpets & flooring. I would like to get mine replaced while I could still enjoy it, but for numerous reasons (old dog with a problem mostly) I'm going to have to wait.
It's such a blessing to have a husband who is handy. I know - I have one too. Yes - I love the smell of new anything!!
Take heart Tammy - it's my theory that things have to look like a disaster before they look great (or you have to create a mess before things get straightened out) - you know what I mean!! It's all going to look lovely.
I don't mind new carpet or new car smells. I love the FEEL of new carpet!
Fun for you!
Sandy
For Reluctant Entertainers
Oh, I too, love the new carpet smell:) I know it will be all worth it once all the fresh, new carpet is in place. It was always fun growing up when my parents were doing house modifications, because normal rules had to be altered, lol.
How exciting to have a new project going even if it does mean having the commode in the dining room! I love to remodel but Husband hates the mess so I try to put things back in order as much as possible before he gets home to dinner! heehee! I like the smell of new carpeting too, it means there's a new project going on. Have fun and enjoy your hubby's hard work!
We have had berber in all our bedrooms and the family room for several years. It is good hardy carpet. We have hardwood in the rest of the house and I like that, too. I agree--I like new carpet, new paint, new car smells!
How great you are getting to "spruce up" a little. Nothing like a home fix-up project to make you feel all dressed up!
Hmmm, something of a convenience to have the potty right next to the dining room table don't you think? That would be the Butler's take on it anyway. Saves time :)
Can't wait to see pictures. Tearing the house apart is always hard for the mama. No organization. But the rewards will be great!
What fun. I love the idea of making things "new". I got new paint recently and it's just so REFRESHING.
Enjoy.
:-) Susan
clean.... yeah -- nice smell.
Whether it's carpet, shampooed hair, or new baby toes
I love new carpet too! Actually we need some in our upstairs but will have to get someone else to put it in. Your house will look great when it's all done!
Oh, that will look so super! I can lament with you on the dog destroying carpet!!! So annoying!
Ah... new carpet! Good for you! And I love your choice of Berber. We're about due for new wall-to-wall carpet too. (We did buy a new shag-like rug for our livingroom. I never thought I'd see the day that look would return. Makes me feel young again!) Hugs, e-Mom
I can't tell you how many carpets we needed to replace due to dogs with bladder problems. I didn't say we replaced all those carpets. I am just saying they needed to be replaced. :-)
Nothing like having the household all torn up due to major projects like laying carpeting. It must be the kid in me, but I like the idea of the TV right there by the kitchen table. Think I'll pass on the idea of the potty being that handy though.
Enjoy your new carpeting. Indeed, your hubby deserves a very nice, relaxing Father's Day.
Tammy, I am SO happy for you and I TOTALLY understand how you could be really excited about getting rid of the old stuff. In fact, I'm bordering envy. We have had our new flooring sitting in boxes in our bedroom for over a year now. I am SO ready to rip up the gross carpet in there where our two elderly dogs "decorated" it on a weekly basis. Ugh! I have to wait until the kitchen part of our remodeling project is finished before we can begin something else...and it's moving SO SLOOOOOOOOW. So my friend, congratulations!! Yep, your hubby deserves alot of spoiling! I had to laugh at your "toilet by the table" saga. I remember when we retiled the house downstairs...it was being finished up as out of town family members were arriving for our daughter's graduation weekend. We had two toilets sitting out in the backyard (could be seen from the front street) while my husband finished the final touches to the bathrooms. He had to grab my Dad and do some pretty fast toilet installations before anyone "needed" to use them. :-) Oh...do I have stories! Enjoy your new carpet! Blessings, Diane
I need new family room carpet, and my laundry could use an overhaul...!
Whatcha doin' next weekend..!
Isn't it funny how it looks okay for the longest time, and then along comes Spring and a little sunshine and everything looks tired.
Hope everything is soon back in place so you can enjoy it.
I too Love that smell. And berber is great. You can go weeks:) without a vacuum and no one but you know:)
But the mess of redoing something like that is sooo stressful. Praying you can get it all back together soon.
Woohooo! New carpet is awesome.
Oh, Boy! New carpet!
We recently ripped up our dining room carpet without much of a plan, except to remove the rug. So for the last few weeks, we've been experiencing the plywood subflooring while we wait for the project to get underway. I'm not sure when that will be, especially with a baby arriving next month...
I hope your place gets put back together soon!
XO,
Jill
Post a Comment