We went to a U-pick farm that we know, where the view is spectacular...and they even have a play structure and a few little goats!
The weather w
as absolutely wonderful after all the rain and chilly temps we've been having. It actually got a little hot picking all those ripe berries!But wouldn't you know...I forgot my camera! You'll just have to visualize the rolling hills and beautiful farm land, blue skies with smattering of white, fluffy clouds, and my girls looking cute in their little sun hats. Sorry.
But don't you love the close-up of our strawberries....? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I type this, the last hours of Spring are coming to a close and summer is about to officially begin.
That means only one thing- it's time for me to talk a bit about the books I managed to read for the Spring Reading Thing. (A big thank you to Katrina for hosting this!)
As usual, I didn't actually read all the books I had hoped to for my challenge. But the good thing about making a list is that it helps you to follow through with seeking out those books...picking them off the shelves...and actually turning a few pages!
Here's my original list, composed in March. Take a quick jump to the link and you'll see all of my hoped for reading.
Here's what I actually read:
Fiction:
Sisterchicks in Gondolas! by Robin Jones Gunn.
Although she is one of my favorite authors, I actually like the Glenbrook series which she wrote even better than the current Sisterchicks series. And that being said, I like some Sisterchicks books more than others.
Sisterchicks in Gondolas takes two friends to their obvious destination- Venice. A place I always thought would be wonderful to visit. But reading this account left the desire in me waning...and that is not necessarily the fault of Gunn, but perhaps simply a realistic account of how Venice sadly now is...extremely crowded and a bit shabby in places.
However, it was not just the description that I didn't love...but the story line and characters did not really draw me in all that much.
Simply stated: It was just a so-so ride down the canal for me.
At Home In Mitford by Jan Karon
I had heard way too much about this series to hold out any longer, so decided to take the plunge. As I plucked it from the shelf of my church's wonderful library, though, I was surprised on how thick this first one was! (So this should count as two books, right?)
Since I'm a Mayberry kind of gal, I knew life in a small town would appeal to me...and I was right. I just loved reading about Father Tim, a bachelor rector set in his ways, who takes on a big wild pup, and later a slightly wild boy- both who disrupt his quiet life but end up giving him so much in return. (And then he meets an attractive neighbor woman, too, to upset his life that much more!)
I found the first half of the book to be kind of like a pleasant stroll...but the second half actually pretty exciting and I didn't want to put it down!
I thought Jan Karon does an fantastic job making the characters come to life.
In fact, I started the second book this week, and I already am wondering how Father Tim is doing where I last left him off...I really should go pick it back up and check in on him! :)
Stranded in Paradise by Lori Copeland
Well, it started off pretty interesting. And seeing how my last trip to Hawaii had it's share of disasters, it felt sort of good to read about someone else's.
But as things progressed, the disasters- both big and small- began to be so much that I was growing weary of it all!
She meets a nice, Christian man- who though she gets off on the wrong foot with at their meeting, begins to share her many Maui misfortunes with and he is able to lead her to the Lord.
However, though I've liked other books by Lori Copeland, the writing and characters were a little lacking for me somehow. Overall, it was OK, but a little tedious...and I think I'll just stay on the mainland for awhile!
Non-fiction:
As you might be able to tell, I lean a lot towards fiction books. But I did manage to read most of one -and a little of two- from the non-fiction genre!
Lessons from a Sheepdog by Philip Keller.
This one disappointed me a bit. I loved aspects of this, but after several chapters, I honestly felt that he was being overly repetitious. The true story behind it is beautiful, though, and I love the allegory.
But I actually enjoyed the children's book of this which I read to my girls even more, believe it or not!
Say Good-bye to Whining, Complaining and Bad Attitudes in your Kids by Scott Turansky D. Min. and Joanne Miller R.N., B.S.N.
I loved what I read of this so far...the only reason I haven't finished it yet was that those pesky fiction books kept getting in the way!
I did read several chapters, and I thought the advice is great- very practical!
The Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado
I just started reading this...three chapters so far. I really am liking it a lot and I have a feeling it is only going to get better. I just need to commit to reading a chapter or two every week...like keeping some meat in the diet and not just ice cream (aka non-fiction)!
But I've noticed that it's not heavy at all so far...but speaks right to the heart, telling how God has a plan for each and every one of us if we really take the time to seek this out. So I'm definitely going to finish this one!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, that's it. That's all she read!
I should say, in all seriousness, that I have read some incredible fictional novels in my life that God has used to truly bless and speak to me. So, really I shouldn't say that fiction is just dessert, should I? Well, OK...to me it's ice cream...but even ice cream has some great nutrients!

I'm hoping some of you will also be posting on how you did with your reading challenge and what you liked and maybe didn't. Let me know if you do so I can visit!
Now that I am on a little home school break, I am finding I have some extra time and energy to squeeze even more reading in now days! Ahhhh...if only I had a hammock to go with my strawberries and books, life would be about perfect!
Alright...there's still the housework to do...but a gal can dream!








25 comments:
This gal's dreaming too! ;o)
Thanks for your reviews!
Ya know, It seems that I have LESS time to read in the summer because we're on the go-go-go. The dark Maine winters are prime time for books and hot chocolate.
Picking strawberries sounds like such a fun activity and I could visualize it very well even without photos!!
I'm also hoping to get a bit more reading done this summer. I like to read before I go to sleep, but I can barely keep my eyes open for a page or two. It takes me forever to finish anymore!!
xo
Strawberry picking - what fun! I don't think we're going to get to that this year, but hopefully next summer.
I agree with what you said about fiction -- it may be like ice cream, but it can certainly teach, inspire, and encourage us, too. Thanks for being part of the challenge!
The strawberry picking sounds like somuch fun. Thanks for sharing your Spring Reading books. I loved reading the reviews. I'm thinking about joining in this Fall.
And just this morning I was thinking about how much fun it will be to go fruit picking with our little boy in a few summers...
Nice work on the reading list--you did very well. I'm reading an old favorite (Atlas Shrugged--highly recommended as a change-your-life fiction book) in between all the breastfeeding and baby books that are on my nightstand and bookshelf.
XO,
Jill
I enjoyed reading your reviews! I didn't like Mitford as much as you did, but we don't all have to agree on everything, right? :)
I'm glad you're enjoying the Mitford series. They always take me to a restful place...
Too bad you forgot your camera. Those strawberrys look yummy though. You'l have to take some pictures of the girls picking Cherries off Nammy's trees when they come to my house. I'll have to read Robin's book & the Mitford one sometime.
I loved the Mitford books and want to reread them some time. I loved the Sisterchicks books, too, so I will definitely have to try Gunn's other series you mentioned.
Say Good-bye to Whining, Complaining and Bad Attitudes in your Kids -- I have never heard about this book but it sounds like a must-read!! I am much slower with non-fiction, too, though.
The Mitford series is one of my most favorite ever! I hope you get the chance to read all of them.
I am anxious to try out a new strawberry pie recipe...so your picture of fresh strawberries made me want to run out and buy our own! Sounds like you had fun. As far as reading...actually I do very little fictional books. I read the internet, Scripture/devotional reading and technical/instructional books. It sounds like you have a great reading list. Thanks for the reviews. Blessings, Diane
I'm sorry that you didn't get any pictures, but am glad that you had fun! Sounds yummy!
I love to read fiction. I don't watch much t.v., so that is sort-of my outlet into a make believe world where my mind can just go on autopilot and imagine all sorts of things. I'll have to check into some of the ones on your list!
Great list Tammy! The strawberries are okay, but I'm really jealous that you'll be getting all those blackberries soon.
I appreciate the review of Lessons from a Shepherd, because I've been wanting to read it, but maybe I'll hold off.
I'm so glad you like Mitford! They just get better and better.
Hey Tammy,
Thanks for surprising me and dropping by my humble blog. I'm so impressed that you'll actually do book reviews--I avoid that whenever possible--I'm simply too lazy.
And I think you look so very young yourself and are so pretty. :-)
I enjoyed your reviews. I read all the time, but have not signed up for a blogland challenge yet. I will have to get around to that soon.
Hey Tammy! I don't know if you left me a birthday greeting or not. I could check, but I'd rather just take the one you left today and not test my brain.
You made me laugh. I think it is not age that makes us forgetful, it is the we have so much in our brains that some of it just falls out and rolls away.
I love you reading list and I am so glad you are enjoying Father Tim. Karen over at Over the Backyard Fence is reading the last one in the series now. Mitford is a great place to visit.
Is tomorrow Friday already. Surely not! Oh, my. I leave for vacation next week. Time to start thinking again.
I started the Mitford Series years ago, and now you've made me miss it!
I'm glad you like the Mitford books - they are wonderful and you have so much more to look forward to!
I read fiction much more than non. Does that make me fluffy? Oh, well! I like to escape from real life and always have a book wherever I am going.
Thanks for stopping by today. The fresh strawberries sound delightful, and I'm glad the sun has returned.
Nice reviews! I really like Max Lucado and the way he makes things seem so simple and yet he deeply touches our hearts.
Those strawberries look delicious!
I just found your blog and enjoyed reading your posts.
I love to read and am always interested in what others are reading.
Have a great day!
Julie
I have read a few of the books and I will check out the others and thanks for the book club reports.
You're WAY ahead of me on your reading list. I've noticed I spend less time reading now that I'm blogging. I don't quite know how to address the imbalance yet! Also, with the yardwork to do in spring and summer, it just seems like reading is a luxury.
It's nice to read your fiction reviews since I usually stick to non-fiction. I've read a couple of the books in Mitford series though (and, lol, I won't spill the beans!)My daughter really liked Cure For the Common Life. (It's on my list too.) Hugs!
I enjoyed home grown strawberries when I was in the Seattle area last week.. Yummy! I loved the Mitford series!
Post a Comment