
It made my day to be honored by someone who is so totally fabulous herself! Thank you so much, Kathleen! I promise to pass this along on my next post!
And thanks to all of you who replied to my Wordless Wednesday...I think most of us could at least relate to how we felt on a Christmas morning when we received that longed for "big gift".
I still remember my dad asking me if it was the right color, knowing full well that blue my was favorite! I was so thrilled!
But hmmmm....how come so many of you kept saying, "Oh, I love old pictures!" OK...I guess I have to admit that the picture was taken before some of you were even born...sigh.
Well, at least it was in color! ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So now, without further ado, it's Show and Tell Friday, hosted by Kelli at There is no Place like Home. Hop over and check out some of the other participants- or better yet, read the rules to join in the fun, yourself!
Today, I thought I would show you my display of antique books. As you can see, I have collected just a few...


Believe it or not, almost all of them were purchased before I was married. When I was young, still living at home- and actually had a paycheck, much less could spend it on something other than boring things like...you know, food.
However, most of these books were actually found at great prices...one was marked only .25 at a used book store- yet it was published back at the turn of the century!
There are several very well-known titles among the collection...

but I must admit, I have only read a handful of my collection.
Here are three I remember reading...and actually loving...
Most of the publication dates are around 1910 and under- with a few even dating back to the 1800's.It's amazing how much I use to go antiquing back then. I use to love to peruse those shops, breathing in the musty air like it was so much perfume.
For some reason, though, it was always the wonderful old books that always drew me in.
Don't you love some of these covers?


And if I found a book with a personal inscription inside, it was all the more to be valued. I always wondered about the person who gave the book and wrote inside with care... and of course, who actually turned the very pages...perhaps a hundred years before I did.
I didn't actually count them...but I'm guessing there are about 40 or so stately books taking up residence on the book case in our upstairs hallway. A few are not in "collectible condition"...maybe a torn binder...maybe no binder at all.
Still, I appreciate even those for so many reasons.
Yes, I do plan on trying to sell just a few of my collection in the near future.
But only a few...the rest I'm hanging onto.
I love simply looking at them as I pass by to tuck my children into bed.
And someday, who knows...I may even end up reading each and every one!
In the meantime, they are my little peeks into the past...the treasures of once upon a time.








36 comments:
I love old books!
I absolutly love old books - You had me drooling over your post! Thanks for sharing.
Jane
I love old books, too! If it were me I would keep them and eventually read them. Love the neat covers.
Oh I love books, old books, new books, kids books. You have a wonderful collection...
Books are a wonderful thing to collect. You have some real treasures here. Think of the stories these books could tell!
You may be interested in seeing the item I posted for Show N Tell about books (I know how you love the older photos and keepsakes!)
xo
Nice collection. I love books, old and new!!! But especially the old ones.
Susan
Herself, my daughter with whom I live, would go spare. She collects books like this and is really a person who does judge a book by its cover. But she does love good content too. She reads them all.
Blessings and bliss
Congratulations for you are Totally Fabulous. I love old books - what a neat collection you have.
We collect old books, too! Yours are beautiful.
You'd really enjoy going to our used book store in Corpus!!! They have tons of old books. I just got one as a gift a little over a week ago. Here's mine They are truly a treasure and keepsake.
http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/2007/10/10-television-shows-youd-like-to-have.html
I love old books too!
I chuckled at about your picture being in 'color!'
How wonderful. I love the smell of an old book.
What a lovely collection! Now we know what your fall reading challenge should have been! LOL
Those are wonderful. What a great treasure. I too, wonder at the history of such books.
I found the books that I had used in school to learn to read -- Dick and Jane and Sally and Spot -- at a garage sale a few years ago. I bought them and have them on display. Perhaps I'll show them and tell about them some day soon.
Thanks for the post!
What a great collection! I love it ~Amy
That looks like a great collection! I have an old book collection too, mostly ones I got from my great-grandmother's house when she died. The old cookbooks are the most fun to look through!
Makes me want to pick one up and just brush my hand over the cover -- and then smell the old book smell
I love old books! The covers of yours are so cool!
What a great collection. I have a handful of old books and find the writing style to be very interesting.
Lol at the "old" pictures part! hehe At least we didn't say "vintage"! LOL Oh Tammy, what a wonderful collection of old books you have...if only books could talk, imagine the stories they could tell of their previous owners:-) I have a few old ones in my downstairs bookcase, will have to check on them...I have no idea where they even came from! lol xox
What a great collection! There is just something about old books! You have a wonderful selection. I am impressed that you started this collection when you were young, that is awesome. You mentioned you have a few from your childhood, you really should pull those out and display them too!
Hugs! Sharon
they look so lovely all together on the shelf like that ...
Congrats on the award!
That is sort of a secret dream of mine is to start collecting antique books. And that is exactly how I'd display them. On their own little shelf. Lovely!
LOL to your mentioning your "old" picture was in color.
I love old books, too! I need to display mine like you have. Thanks for sharing!
I love it. I have only two or three really old books, but I share your attraction to them. What a great collection!
I love books...old ones and new ones, just give me a book! Loved seeing your collection.
Hugs!
Kat
You know I have had a difficult time, reducing my book collection.
I pulled one in from the garage, & noticed it was signed by the author Charles? Dobson. Books with the author's signature are always worth more.
Oh yes, we have several shelves full--especially my 1920 world encyclopedia set. So many old books so little time. :)
OOOPS That should have been Dr. James Dobson, not Charles on the autographed book. But being 80, I might be a tad forgetful of names.
Tammy,I have just a few as well, and I always favored the ones with inscriptions, too.
Tammy,
That is SO neat!! I have several old textbooks that were my Grandfather's from the 20's. I love them.
Hugs to you!! And thanks for sharing your treasures.
:-) Susan
Old books are so comforting, aren't they? Something about them patiently waiting to be enjoyed again....
Nice display!
I collect antique books, too! Don't you just love the cover? The colors are fantastic. Thanks for sharing!!
You and I have something in common...old books....I collect them, too....
Thank you for the visit and sweet comment....Betty
A great collection. I've never been much into antique hunting, but I love books. I agree that those covers are neat.
What a great collector you are!
Post a Comment