Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cuz Ken





Today, October 30th, I'm remembering someone special from my childhood...



Kenny was not a chubby, cuddly little boy. Some might say he was even kind of a strange looking kid. All arms and legs, tall and gangly.


The youngest of three boys, born each a year apart, he quickly passed his big brothers up in height. However, this didn't stop the eldest from keeping his place in line as big brother and making sure Kenny knew it!


I relished my time with my three boy cousins. Being an only child could be a bit lonely, so during our visits I could feel as though they were all my big brothers for a little while.

For a time, Kenny was my favorite. He was sweet, very funny and extremely smart...and at just four years older, he was the closest to my age, making him a bit easier to play with!


As he grew older, it was no longer Kenny he wanted to be called, but Ken.
But in my childhood bedtime prayers, "God bless Kenny" still would come out.

And a funny thing about this tall boy that didn't exactly look the same as others...didn't have typical features that would be considered handsome. He kept his self-confidence...and exuded such personality, charm, wit and intelligence, that he actually became very popular among his peers.

In fact, I was there as he gave the valedictorian speech at his high school graduation.

Sometimes, when I was in my late teens, he would send me little cards out of the blue. Here is one I received from him about the time I was 18...


He always signed his cards, "Cuz Ken", and this one was no exception.

A few years later, when I was staying with a friend who was going to college, and trying to figure out what I wanted to do in life, he also was attending the same college.
He'd come over to hang out with us, and when he soon started dating someone special, he was so excited to have me meet her. I was flattered, especially when he had told me that she reminded him a little of me!

But then, he sort of disappeared from my life. Well, not sort of... Completely.
He didn't marry that girl, but moved to California...married another woman and became a step-dad...and began a life as an entrepreneur in the world of internet business.

For nearly 20 years, I never heard from Ken, and I wondered if I had somehow offended him in some way that I didn't understand.

Sometimes I would hear updates on him, mostly from my aunt. And one year, some time after I was married, I learned he had been hospitalized and endured open-heart surgery. It had been determined that he suffered from Marfan Syndrome, which accounted for his long, lanky arms and legs, and in turn, affected his heart.

Thankfully, I heard that he recovered from the close call that year.

Finally, the day came when I would be seeing Ken again.

The ironic thing was that when I had last seen him I had been back in 1983. I had been 20, and it was at his brother's wedding.
Now, after 19 years, I was finally seeing my cousin again...
At the same brother's
second wedding!

When he saw me at the outdoor reception, he came right over and we embraced.

He met my husband for the first time, my little three year old daughter and our new two month old baby girl.

There is a poignant photo of the two of us talking...I searched all over but I wasn't able to find it.

However, here he is with his family on that day...
My aunt (mom's sister) her husband (their dad passed away in the early 80's) and my three cousins.

And the only one of us together that I could find, was this one that somebody snapped, just as he was looking down, I think, to peer at my baby in her carrier.

I don't remember how long we talked...but I just remember that it did my heart good to connect with him again...to know he still liked his "little cousin", in spite of the two decades that had slipped past us.

Then, just three years later, my aunt called. He had been rushed by ambulance after he collapsed, while actually taking a break from his high-power business day to buy a cup of coffee for a homeless man.
I remember praying for him...I knew he had gotten a bit caught up in the things of this world, but as a child he had accepted Christ. So I prayed not only for his physical heart, but for God to speak to his spiritual heart with His gentle voice.

My aunt and other cousin rushed to California...he was able to speak and even weakly joke with them.

But then, I received another call.
Ken was gone.

As I was thinking about him the other day, I googled his name, only to find out that he was even more successful in the business world than I suspected. He was one of the founders on the ground floor of the internet business...and there were websites mourning his passing, telling of how much they learned from and how willing he was to freely share his knowledge.

There was even a video for sale where he spoke on keys to success on the internet...I clicked on it and there I was, hearing his voice again.




It was amazing and sad all at once to see him, knowing he was gone.
It also reminds me of no matter how successful we are in this world, it is only temporal. This life can be so fleeting!


Funny, how someone can stay in a special place in your heart....even though time and distance separated you for so many years.

For me, there will always be that special little corner reserved for the cousin that was sometimes like a big brother to me, took me with him on a double date, and sent me Snoopy cards.
And I miss him.

In memory of Ken
June,1957- October 30th, 2005

26 comments:

ruth said...

I wish too that we could have had a closer contact through the years. My sister's boys have always held a special place in my heart, & I hold dear all those times when they lived closer to us & would have a chance to visit each other. Ken had such a delightful sense of humor & I think the most like his dad of all the boys. Listening to the recorded seminar the other day, I was struck by how his voice sounded so much like his dad's who would have been so proud of the man he became, with the knowledge of the Lord & the values instilled by both his parents.

Carole Burant said...

Such a beautiful and heart warming tribute to your Cuz Ken...it's a shame he had to die so young and that there was 20 years that you never got to see him but at least you did get to see him again:-) I so enjoyed your previous post as well...going to a pumpkin farm is so much fun!! xox

Beck said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Justabeachkat said...

Such a sweet touching tribute to "Cuz Ken".

Beautifully written.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Sweet memories for a sweet and thoughtful man. I'm sorry for your loss. I know it has been a couple of years but there is still pain.

Blessings today, Tammy.

groovyoldlady said...

I was an only child too and my favorite cousin was Billy.

This was a precious tribute to your cuz Ken! I'm glad you got to reconnect with him before he left this world.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful tribute. Your aunt, my cousin Ginny, directed me to your site to view it. Thank you both for sharing.
Kathy

Nadine said...

What an absolute wonderful tribute to your cousin. It was good that you did connect with him again after all those years apart. I stand with you today in remembrance of a fine man and a good cousin.

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Tammy, what a touching tribute to your cousin. Thank you for sharing these memories. It makes me ask myself if there is anyone I should contact just to let them know I'm thinking of them.

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh, how sad. What a beautiful story. It sounds like you two had a sweet relationship. You were so blessed to have such a sweet cousin!

May he rest in peace.

Sharon

Looney Mom™ said...

Oh wow. That is so sad. Sorry for your loss. You are right though; this life is just temporary and death does not discriminate. Praying for peace. God bless.

Pamela said...

a very nice tribute.
He would have been touched....I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

((((You))))

Anonymous said...

Very heart touching post. I do believe it makes me think back to those I have loved throughout my life and still hold dear.

someone else said...

Oh Tammy, what a sweet, poignant story. Your tribute is beautiful.

Dawn said...

What a wonderful memorial to your cuz. It is so hard to keep up with extended family when we get so scattered. I have a very large family, but I try to keep up with cousins, with limited success. When we saw the one from Mali, Africa this summer it was as though we'd never been apart, though it was 15 years since we last were in the same room. This was beautiful.

Corrie said...

Wow! What a special tribute to your Cuz Ken. I'm sorry that he is gone. It is amazing though how sometimes connections with people are stronger than time, as if time never passed. I'm glad you guys were able to connect again before his death.
Thank you for sharing this touching piece. You are amazing!

Sandy said...

Hi Tammy, what a nice tribute. I feel priviledged to have been able to read about your cousin.
I wanted to email you (ask where in OR you live!) .. no email? Can you email me?
Sandy :)

Susie said...

What a loving and moving tribute to your Cuz. I'm sure he's smiling down from above. I know you miss having him here though..
xo

Momma Roar said...

What a sweet tribute - I always enjoy reading about special people in other's lives. This one brought tears to my eyes, too!

Susannah said...

You tell a beautful story Tammy. This one is joyful, yet sad. I feel your loss. I'm so glad you had a chance to see "Kenny" again, before he passed away.

I've never really known my three cousins, since they all live on the east coast. You're blessed to have had such a special relationship with another male in your family.

(((Hugs)))

Sondra said...

What a truly touching story. I have also lost a cousin who was very special to me. (She passed away from breast cancer). Some people just take cousins for granted, but I know how you feel about being so close to yours.
I really enjoyed reading your post.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh Tammy. You are the sweetest thing. This is sensitive and poignant, and encourages the reader to appreciate family without being didactic. This touched me.

Karen said...

What a sweet tribute to your cousin. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Michelle said...

I cried while reading this, as I too, have so much distance between myself and family of the past. I am sorry that you have lost him but soooo very glad to know he knew the Lord.

Susanne said...

What a lovely tribute to your special cousin and friend. He sounds like he was a wonderful person, Tammy!