Wow...my last post was Monday, and here I am not only posting for Friday's Show and Tell already, but I'm even late getting it out!
I did, in fact, mean to get this out last night...but then, I fell asleep with my girls when I was tucking them in. Yes, it's been one of those weeks.
Plus, somehow, someway, I must have mysteriously injured my neck and back because they started hurting yesterday so much that I couldn't even turn my head in one direction.
Is it possible to have pulled a muscle clear back last Saturday when we were loading and unloading...and it's just now sneaking up on me?
Is there a chiropractor in the house?
I'll be fine, really...as for this current messy house, I'm not so sure! ;)
As for my last post, I can see that almost all of you are familiar with Battleship! I finally played this with my eight year old today and she just loves it! I think it's been over 20 years since this game saw any players, and it was just as fun as I remember.
But only one of you I think remembered Hat's Off. The rest of you must have just led poor, deprived childhoods. ;)

Now, for Show & Tell Friday...for other participants and the rules in how to play, please visit our gracious host, Kelli!
As most of you know, we have been busily helping my mom downsize all of her belongings and readying her home for sale, so she can move closer.
That means, of course, that certain things have been somehow making their way to my house.
Some of these things were actually mine, once upon a time.
So, in future Show and Tell posts, look for some more fun childhood items from my borderline baby-boomer past. ;)
Other things are precious items that I am being given, at least for a time.
Here is one of them...


I know the lighting is poor...and partly because of the glass frame that houses this very old paper.
But this is a circular "Sabbath School" paper from the Presbyterian Church, which was handed down from my maternal grandmother. We think it originally belonged to her grandmother.
Look closely at the date...

This is the actual Sunday School paper from 1852- not a copy, but the actual paper!
It just amazes me when I think about the fact that this was a full decade before the Civil War even took place!
It was in with a lot of old pictures and tin types that were handed down through the generations to my mom. We are blessed to have so many photographs of this one side of the family...and one day I will scan a few and show you.
And believe it or not, my mom actually had the original newspaper once in her possession of the news declaring President Lincoln being shot! My aunt persuaded her to donate it to a museum...but I really wish we would have taken countless pictures of it first!
So, although this Sunday school perhaps isn't of such historic importance, it is, in fact, even older than that newspaper...and historic in that is shows a glimpse of church life before the dawning of electricity, automobiles, most indoor plumbing...and when our country was in the midst of slavery.
Yet, souls were still souls...and despite this different world, God was still the same.
And somebody- perhaps my grandmother's grandmother- held this in her hands as she read about God's love and how He was working in the lives of others throughout the world.








31 comments:
I so love these old treasures! What a great find and something to pass on!
I sure hope your back and neck heal quickly... I will pray for you.
God Bless and have a great weekend!
Hi Tammy,
This is really a family heirloom. How interesting that you also had the paper from when Pres. Lincoln was shot.
Hope your back feels better soon. I know how that must hurt.
gentle ((hugs))
What a really neat thing to have! I love history, and this would be something I would treasure dearly. Of course I am sure you are. :)
Priceless!!!!!
Drop by for some hard candies? I'd love to see you visit my Show N Tell if you haven't already.
i love old treasures! what a wonderful keepsake!!!
Oh wow...what a great heirloom indeed! Thanks for sharing!
Oh wow! What a unique keepsake this is!
my first show and tell is up
How neat! I know that it must be fun to read even if it's just the front page ;) Thanks for sharing it with us~Looking forward to your up coming posts.
~Amy
He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. And in our hearts, so are we.
That is amazing Tammy. I love this show and tell.
That is soooo cool! Our family would never have anything like that because my parents who came as immigrants in 1956 came with nothing. That is such a treasure you have there.
Praying for your back. I know how painful and horrible that can be.
This is an awesome treasure Tracy. 155 years old!!!1 Imagine if it could talk. Gog the same yesterday, today and forever!!
I look forward to your showing other treasures you came home with!!!
Susan
How neat to have such a treasure!
Oh Tammy, what a treasure indeed that paper is! Gosh, just thinking how old it is is mind boggling! Oh dear, I do hope your back feels better soon. Take care of yourself my friend! xoxo
Well, that is an amazing story! It surprises me that it has been preserved so well. Thanks.!
Wow! I love old things. I love to sit and think about all the history that was going on at the time the old item was new. Amazing to think that she still has newspapers about the Lincoln assasination!
Thanks for sharing,
Jane
That is incredible! What a wonderful treasure! I am so glad that you have it and will value it!
Blessings! Sharon
What a fascinating piece of history!
What a neat treasure, Tammy! Thanks so much for sharing it with us :) Blessings! Q
Incredible! What a treasure.
Hope you feel better soon.
Hugs!
Kat
All I can say is... WOW!
Hope your back and neck feel better SOON!
That is a wonderful find! I'm so glad it was preserved behind glass. I am planning my first Friday Show and Tell soon - as soon as I can get all the history down pat.
Wow, that's what I call a real treasure! It just amazes me, too!
Thanks for sharing this special paper and all my best wishes for your mother's move! How lucky you are that she will more closer soon. I know what I am talking about, my mother lives too far away from me and we only meet four or five times a year.
Have a blesses week-end!
Anita
Amazing that your family has had that church document for that long! That is a true family treasure. I'm sure you enjoyed finding all these delightful things while helping your mother downsize. I'm also sure you are glad that part of the work is done! You are a good daughter.
sorry to hear about your back and neck, I hope you're feeling better! My grandfather and uncle are both chiropractors - I wish I lived close to either of them cause I could use an adjustment!
I love things like that, what a wonderful treasure.
Great Blog,
Theresa
That is a treasure and the newspaper is in great condition. Love the old graphics.
This is indeed a treasure and one that gives you a small window to the past. I hope your back/neck is better. I'm saying a prayer for you.
That Sunday school paper is amazing. It really puts into perspective, how old it really is, when you realize the Civil War hadn't happened yet.
I think it's very possible to hurt your neck and not even know it. Sometimes something as simple as a sneeze can do it. I know how it feels, so I hope you're better by now.
wow. I love the old things. But, your thinking out loud and sharing your thoughts about it - gave me shivers down my spine.
That is just amazing. I love old documents. History is one of my favorite subjects! (I was an art history major in college.)
Show and Tell... what a neat idea for a meme. Hugs, e-Mom
What a special piece of history Tammy. You sure are finding wonderful treasures.
I hope by now your back and neck are feeling lots better.
Post a Comment