Friday, November 02, 2007

Show and Tell #8




I am getting a bit of a late start participating in Show and Tell Friday, but I just had no time yesterday!
On top of doing school work with the girls, we went to our bi-weekly home school activity group- and had our first book report presentation which I was in charge of! I'm in charge of this only because they didn't do book reports before...and that's what I get for suggesting it! ;)
It went really well, and I was proud of all the kids that presented, especially those doing so for the very first time!

Then we had a Bible study that evening....and then...we all simply crashed.

By the way, do anyone else's children keep dumping out their bags of candy to count and organize them? Or do I just have strange children? ;)


Anyway...without further ado....here's my little show and tell today:

No, she's not an original vintage Barbie, but a collectible reproduction of a 1960 Barbie, wearing the beautiful Enchanted Evening gown.

Here is what the back of her box says...
"In her white furry stole, exquisite ice pink satin gown, and opera length gloves, she is the height of early sixties elegance."

I have to agree, don't you?

I actually bought her when my husband and I lived in Virginia. We had no children yet, but somehow I found myself meandering through the toy section. When I spotted her, I simply was entranced! I loved vintage eras, and though I hardly ever splurged on myself with impractical things on our tight Navy budget and my part time job, I made an exception with her.


My girls now like looking at her, and every time they always ask me why they can't take her out and play with her.
And I always remind them... because she's "mint in the box"...the quote from Toy Story 2.
And then they always remember and smile, knowingly.

And perhaps are glad she's no "Stinky Pete".

For more Show and Tell participants, and to see how you can also join in, visit Kelli at There is No Place Like Home.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November Christian Book Fair at Chrysalis
Want this button?

Edited to add that this month, Chrysalis is hosting a Christian book review club! Check it out and come join in all the fun!



She is also the new host of Marriage Monday, happening once a month...and happening this Monday! I am really hoping to participate with this. So hop on over and find out more!

Blessings!

25 comments:

Mommy said...

Very lovely indeed. I wish we had that type of elegance now a days. :( Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the story! What did your husband think of your splurge?

Anonymous said...

what a lovely barbie... i wish barbie still dressed so modest and classy... I am afraid my daughter will never own one at the rate they are going :(

Anonymous said...

...and you still have her in the original box...for some reason collectors of such, like that!! And offer big bucks.

Happy Show n Tell day

LadySnow said...

I also have to agree that I wish we had things elegant more often these days. :D

Myrna said...

Beautiful Barbie!

I never had a Barbie--just a couple of years too old for that era--and I had sons.

HOWEVER, this year I get to indulge! My granddaughter is now old enough to want a Barbie. I believe that is my responsibility this year--Barbie Stuff! I may need help from you people with girls!

Quinne said...

Hi Tammy :) So glad that your hs meeting went well! Thanks for sharing your doll and her story today. Blessings! Q

Beck said...

My kids sort and sort and sort their candy, too!

Anonymous said...

She really is pretty!

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful. And she has not aged a bit!

Nadine said...

I love Barbie. This one is stunning.

Anonymous said...

She is very pretty. My daughter loves Barbie we only have the princess Barbies - lovely in their long dresses. I always want to play too! ;-)

Cyndi Lewis said...

I love Barbies! I still enjoy going down the "pink" aisles in the toy sections of stores. Maybe that is why God blessed me with three girls and only one boy. LOL! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh, she's lovely!! Exquisite!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Very pretty Barbie! My daughter used to collect the new glamorous Barbies and had quite a few. When she got married she sold all of them on ebay! ??

I ended up reading all of your posts on this page - about your cousin, and grandmother, and childhood books, etc! Sure enjoyed it!

Katherine

Nancy said...

You were just so full fo news today. I love the Barbie and it brought a smile to my face as I fondly remember my Barbies as child (plus I needed a smile today)!

Thanks for your continued prayers, as I face a life without Emily.

Jill said...

What a beautiful Barbie. I love your Show and Tells! When I was little I did organzine my candy over and over. Somewhere along the line I lost that trait. Now I just dump everything in a drawer and call it good. And, I'm not pickey about the candy I eat. Anyting will do!

Susan said...

Beautiful and yes "Mint in the box"!
Susan

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh, she is so pretty! I love the older Barbie's. It seems like the older Barbie's were a little more modest.

Hugs, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Barbie is a classic. Still popular after all these years. Not much spans the generations like she does.

.Tom Kapanka said...

Tammy,
Thanks for stopping by. Lots in common in our profiles (Friendly Persuasion is a gem! as is anything Nat King Cole =) If you ever get the time to read my current storyline from the 50's, you'll enjoy some of the music links. Last Christmas season I had a post on some "retro toys." Have you ever seen this site? http://tvdays.com/. Here’s a Retro Barbie Commercial

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Looks like one of mine from the 60s before it went through 4 girls playing with her! Yours is Very elegant! Good Job on the book report day. When homeschooling, I was always happy for opportunities for our girls to have a public audience since it "stretched" them and gave them peer feedback.

Kelli said...

She's beautiful, Tammy! I love her dress!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

Can you envision the gala that Barbie is getting ready to attend? ;o)

It's me, out of anonymity! :o)

ruth said...

I just caught up with this entry today. It was good having you & the girls yesterday. I needed something cheerie to read about. I don't ever remember seeing that Barbie. If you showed her to me, I don't remember seeing her. What a fabulous outfit. She is so glamerous & beautiful.

gail@more than a song said...

Barbie, and in the box, can't believe your girls haven't taken her out!
My kids always counted candy I think! At the time I hoped that it was something all kids did.