
It's Friday! Time once again for Show and Tell, hosted by Kelli, at There is No Place like Home.
Most of you know that my mom, who's 80, is getting ready to sell her home in order to move closer to us. I've been making trips to ready her house, and each time I seem to take with me a treasure from my childhood!
So for this week's Show and Tell, I'd like to share one that is especially near and dear to my heart. In fact, I'm not sure how I lived all these years without her, now that I have her back!
When I was about eight years old, my cousin (actually she was my third cousin- our grandmothers were sisters) was given a life-like baby doll that I absolutely fell in love with. It was given to her by my great aunt- cousin D's grandma. And when my great aunt found out how much I wanted one, she promptly told her sister- my beloved Gammee.
That very Christmas, I opened a big box to reveal who would quickly become my most loved doll from then on out.
Her name....Puddin'.

Some of you may be familiar with the maker- Madame Alexander. In fact her name and picture, as well as Puddin's name in information, are still on the box which now houses her clothes.
But at the time, all of that was not quite as important to me.
As I reached down and picked her up for the first time, I loved how she was just as big as a real baby, and her sweet face seemed so life-like that I just completely became her mommy on the spot. Never mind that I was almost nine years old...I was in love!

And not only had Gammee blessed me with the gift of this wonderful doll, but seamstress that she was, she made her a complete wardrobe as part of her present, as well!
I am sure some of the original wardrobe is missing...but there are several outfits left and in perfect condition. The pink checkered one was the dress she actually came in...but the rest were all hand-made by my grandmother for me, including the outfit she's wearing in the photos.
She even knitted two pairs of booties, and crocheted a sweet little blanket for her (which you'll see in the final photo).
When I think of how much work she lovingly put in them for me (and that she was over 70 at the time) I wish more than anything I could once again throw my arms around her and tell her thank you all over again.

I brought Puddin' back this past weekend- cradle and all- and I have to tell you a little secret...
All those old familiar feelings - those first strong maternal feelings that a little girl experiences with a beloved doll in preparation for motherhood- they came back with force in my memory when I picked her up...went through all her little clothes...
And then I heard that long-forgotten "Mama" cry she made when I tipped her forward...enough to melt even the most calloused of hearts!
Needless to say, my girls- 8 and 5- fell instantly in love with her, as well.

With my protective supervision, I allowed them to dress and re-dress her, put her in her cradle, and argue over who was lying closer to her at rest time.
They wanted me to play with her with them...but I finally had to break away, mumbling firmly to myself...
"She's just a doll...she's just a doll...she's just a doll..."
I soon realized that it wasn't just me that has to keep reminding myself, though...my eight year old Sweetiegirl declared,
"Now we have five people in our family!" Ahem.
When the girls and I exuberantly showed my dear husband our precious Puddin', he really did try to reply nicely. But we all could tell... he just didn't understand. He's a boy.
I keep thinking how that if God let's loved ones peek down on good things from Heaven, my Gammee would be smiling, knowing the doll I loved more than all others is finally being loved again...by me, and by her great-granddaughters. The clothes she made were being appreciated once again, and out from the box they spent decades within.
Now, Puddin is home at last. And these days, she enjoys sleeping in her cradle between the beds of two little girls who are as captivated by her as I was.
Nighty-night Puddin'.








43 comments:
Oh my Puddin is wonderful. How sweet that she survived for you all to enjoy...
Oh Tammy, she's absolutely wonderful! What a great treasure.
What a very tender post. So glad that Puddin' now is being enjoyed again!
I agree that your beloved Gammee is smiling down!!
xo
What a wonderful post. There is just nothing like a pretty baby doll being cared for by a sweet little girl--or two.
Puddin' is so precious!! And she's found a loving new family to call her own now....that's great.
My S n T is posted. Drop by if you can find time, won't you?
I am crying right now !!! That was such a sweet story.. ohhh sweet Puddin will be well loved again by your girls too !!! I am a doll collector and just know the feelings that come with the memories. Thank you for sharing that !!! XO
Mica
Oh she is beautiful. She does seem to have aged so gracefully. My girlfriend collects MA dolls. I had never heard of them. I was one of a family of all boys ... I grew up playing baseball.
Oh Puddin is precious and all those clothes. What a blessing you got her back and that your mother kept her all these years.
Susan
AW! Puddin is sweet! So are the memories that go along with her. :o)
My best friend was a stuffed monkey named Zippy! LOL
What a gorgeous doll!
What a special present to get from your Grammee. She is a beautiful doll. And not only did you get a doll, but so many special clothes and a blanket. I think it's neat that your girls were so interested in her in the world of high tech toys we have today. Thanks for sharing.
Awwwww! What a sweet doll Puddin is and what great memories!
Blessings
Linda
Oh she is beautiful, a great tresure for you! And your grandmother made all those clothes, that is so special too...doll clothes to me are one of the hardest things to make!
She's so sweet -- and all the little clothes and things your grandmother made are so precious. What a treasure!
That's sweet that she's made through the years and is now in the arms of your daughters!
how adorable!
I really enjoyed your show and tell. What a great story! :) My grandmother made me a wardrobe for My American Girl Doll Kirsten also. She too was in her 70's. She will be 90 this January.
Hi Tammy :) What a precious story! It made me want to hug your dear grandmother, too. I love that the legacy of your g-mother and your doll are continued through your daughters now. Thanks so much for sharing about them today! Blessings, Q
What a great post. Puddin is truly beautiful and a true treasure.
Ohhhh, this story brings tears to my eyes. I played with my own chubby baby doll for endless hours too. And I loved all the clothes that went with her. (Yours are so beautiful.) My barbies were fun a as I got older, but nothing compared to my baby doll.
When I had my own real life babies, I loved buying all those little shoes, and I remember feeling like a little girl playing dolls all over again.
Your daughters will enjoy Puddin' for many years to come... and they're kids will too.
Hugs, e-Mom
That is a great memory coming back to you. Great story! I loved sewing for Kristen's dolls. I should show some of the clothes someday. Thanks for a good idea. Your grandma would be so happy!
How sweet. I still have some of my toys from way back, but most of them are infrightful condition. I think that maybe you were a kinder, gentler nine year-old than I was!
Your little Puddin is adorable, thank you very much for sharing the story that goes with her. How nice that your precious doll has now been adoped by the female members of your family. (Yes, men don't understand such things)... ;-))
Have a blessed week-end!
She is sooooo pretty! What a wonderful doll! I love her name too! It is so neat that your grandmother gave her to you and made all her clothes! What a true treasure. It is neat also that your daughters get to enjoy her too!
:0) Sharon
Oh, that is so neat! I bet your girls are in awe. Toys from the past are always so neat since they were made differently...and all those clothes! How special! I'm glad you found her!
Puddin' is a vintage doll and very valuable to collectors and priceless to you and your girls. It's marvelous that you have the original box and outfit. Take good care of her. She's beautiful.
Now you have me crying! What a beautiful doll with so many wonderful memories that bind you to her. Oh Tammy, I am so glad that you and she found each other again...and that she's now being loved all over again:-) I think it's great that your mom had kept her all these years!! Wonderful post dear Tammy! xoxo
What a lovely doll baby, I loved this post! I have several dolls from my childhood and they are special to me too. It's funny though, I dug them out one day for my granddaughter and she had no interest in them. I was floored, I thought she would really like playing with some of Grammies old dolls but she thought they were funny looking. I was disappointed but I guess she is more into her horsey stuff and doesn't play with dolls much at home. Maybe when she is older she will like them who knows?? I loved your story though and hope your Gammee knows how special it all is to you and your girls! :o)
What a sweet story. To have your children love her as much as you do...priceless.
What a treasure, Tammy!
What a beautiful doll! A wonderful addition to the family! ;)
Oh Puddin is a beauty! What special memories for you.
Hugs!
Kat
I'm glad that you finally picked up lil Puddin & that the girls are enjoying her. You'll have to make room for that doll house next. Didn't you just love that baby Oprah doll that Marie Osmand had made for her & presented it to her on the Osmond reunion show today. I just wanted to reach through the screen & hold her too. I wonder if she is a one & only just for Oprah or if Marie will be having more baby Oprah dolls made because I totally fell in love with her.
What a treasure and such a cute story to go with it. How wonderful to have this little "puddin'" so well preserved.
Thanks for the morning smile!
"Such a sweet,sweet story...had me in tears, and can totally relate!" So nice to have read your "Show & Tell today. Have a blessed Weekend!
xo Jeannene
I remember my precious dolls. Unfortunately, I had a beauty shop one day as a child and gave most of my dolls haircuts. Not a pretty sight.
Pudding is adorable! I love the story you wrote about her! I collect MA 8" dolls, but have no MA baby dolls. The doll clothes brought back memories of my mother making her grandchildren beautiful doll clothes. I regret not keeping those clothes, even tho they were worn from being played with so much.
Katherine
How sweet. I just love her rosy red cheeks.
I just love this. I so loved dolls and played with them all the time. I know I would have the same feelings if one of my dolls were to surface. How great that your girls love her. My girls were never much into dolls. I would play with them instead :o)
I will be facing that sentimental journey soon. Each time I go home (my mom's home) I go up in the attic and get some treasure of mine.
Tammy,
Thanks so much for stopping and leaving such kind comments on my Remembrance Day post. Yes, the story of Uncle Bill landing at Dieppe is dear to my heart. I decided to decorate my blog for Remembrance and Veteran's Day in order to honor all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and for those who put themselves in danger today to assure we live in freedome.
I'm so happy to meet you and am adding you to my blogroll.
Blessings,
Mary
I have one special doll from my childhood too. She sits on my bed everyday.
Lovely post, Tammy, both abouth the doll and about your Grandma too!
Your story warmed my heart. I just purchased Puddin in mint condition on e-bay. After reading your story I'm very excited to get her. I'm a doll collector and will give her a good home. I had boys so I had to collect dolls as my girls.
Dorothy
Post a Comment