Saturday, November 24, 2007

Giddy up...and pass the cranberry sauce





Our humble little house held a total of 25 people this Thanksgiving.

25 people.

But that's not unusual. And if hubby's other brother and his wife and their two new children would have been here, plus another sister that's moved to Mexico, it would have been 30!

Oh, and plus our big dog, Mandy, who although was on her very best behavior that day, still took up plenty of space when we allowed her to make her occasional roam through the house to greet everyone.

Except for a few little things here and there, it was overall a very nice Thanksgiving.

You've heard of the famous Thanksgiving Tom the Turkey?
Well, we have our Uncle B the Bucking Bronco.
And for our girls, what Thanksgiving Day would be complete without a horsey-ride around the living room?


Uncle B. spent a good half an hour being a horse to my two buckaroos.


Bless his heart...he was probably paying for it with his back yesterday!

But look what I found? Uncle B the Horse was at it two and a half years ago on Easter!


Except back then, the riders were considerably lighter.

Uncle B. and my sister in law are two of the sweetest people...and we're all praying they can become parents soon...they are complete naturals when it comes to children! My youngest pretty much adopted him and wouldn't let him out of her sight the entire day.

Meanwhile, as nice as the day was, I am still recovering from it all.
Especially all that detail cleaning...you know, where you crawl around and find dirt you never knew existed in those little crannies around the floor, that's probably been sitting there since last Thanksiving.


Not to mention, the Fred Meyer 6-hour after-Thanksgiving sale the next morning!
Let me just say to all you nay-sayers...I got almost all my Christmas shopping done that morning at half-price! Who cares that sometimes all of us with our carts were in stop and go traffic...they gave away free donut holes and coffee, so everyone was in a good mood!

But by the time I got home, everything was catching up with me and I spent the rest of Friday crashed in front of the TV watching Andy Hardy movies. ;)

(And if Uncle B. has any sense, he did the same thing...with a heating pad on his back.)

Blessings!



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look like you had a wonderful day. All the prep is so worth the memories. Especially after you are reacovered and look back on it all with fondness.

Uncles B is a sweetie.

And... the next best thing to waking at 4:00 a.m. and having all your shopping done at half price by noon is sipping coffee in front of the computer and crossing things off the list as you shop online. I used to do the dawn thing but I don't anymore. I don't have it in me.

Y'all have a great weekend. Rest.

someone else said...

My daughter is a Black Friday shopper and came home with most of her Christmas shopping done, too. I tried it once and just can't deal with the crowds, but I applaud those of you who can.

It sounds like you had a lovely holiday.

Myrna said...

Thanksgiving at your house must have been wonderful!

You are one brave lady to do that Friday shopping! My dil does it and loves it. I can't imagine getting up in the wee hours to go shopping! I agree with Becky--I'm all about that online shopping!

Mary said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. Uncle B. is a favorite of your buckaroos, I can tell. Relax and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Blessings,
Mary

Tammy said...

I should set the record straight...I didn't get up in the wee hours...I didn't leave the house until almost 9! (Not after having such a houseful here!) But the sale lasted until 11, so I still got there in time! :)

My husband made the mistake of drinking a can of pepsi Thanksgiving night, after being off of coffee for 2 years, so he had insominia...and ended up deciding to go ahead and hit some of those sales-leaving to stand in line by himself at the mall in the middle of the night!!!

Needless to say, he took a verrrrry long nap on Friday!

Susie said...

Your house sounds full of the true spirit of Thanksgiving! I know what you mean about all that detail cleaning, but I suspect it matters more to us than our guests!
You're really half done with your Christmas shopping? I'm barely started. I've got to get a move on!!
xoxo

Michelle said...

25 people! wow! glad to hear your whole family had such a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Free donut holes and coffee! Score! :o)

Glad to hear you had a lovely holiday!

Nadine said...

The after Thanksgiving sales always have the best bargains. When the kids were younger I was right there. When they were older it helped also. I'm with you on that.

Wow 25 people. I had 11 for dinner, but I probably cooked for 40. I always overcook. I'm glad you had a great day, even though it caught up with you.

I'm tired too.

Christie Belle said...

Glad y'all had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. You are a brave woman to venture out on black Friday, but I'm sure you are happy to have most of it done!

Jill said...

Wow! That's a big crowd. Uncle B is a saint.... a good way to work off all that turkey! I didn't hit the Friday sales myself, but I do know there are bargains to be had.

Susan said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I love it that your children and their Uncle are making these special memories. God is good. These will be precious to them in their future.

Hope you've recouped from shopping. I'm just vegging this afternoon trying to get over it all and be ready to get back to work tomorrow.

Hugs,

Susan

ruth said...

I still think uncle B & his sweet wife should put in for adoption since look what happened to your other sis-in-law, she got pregnant & ended up with two little ones. Seems like that happens in a lot of cases.

Pamela said...

when my mom was still with us, we would have easily that many at my house for a holiday.
I have a small kitchen and one stove. I don't know how we did it.

yeee hawwww Uncle B

Susie Q said...

I saw those same Andy Hardy movies!! On AMC or was it TCM? No matter...: )

I love your horsie pictures!! : )

You will have had day that makes memories for a lifetime and that is worth all the work! Easy to say I know but true!

Hugs,
Sue

groovyoldlady said...

Guess what? I DREAMED about you last night.

We were moving into a new house and I was all upset and disgruntled at all the change. Suddenly I realized that you only lived 3 houses down the road from our new dwelling. I was SO excited and Mulletman thought I was a nutcase (nothing new there!).

Next thing I knew, you and I had contracted to write a novel together.

Any ideas for a title? ;-)

Dawn said...

Uncle B looks like a great guy! And he loves red shirts!

Congrats on getting your shopping done. I just don't have what it takes to do that kind of shopping - my SIL was at Kohl's at 4:10 and had a hard time getting a parking place. She was looking for one thing and got it, with only 2 left. At 4:15!

I'm still thinking it's going to have to be gift cards this year, as incorrect as that may be. The trip is looming and I just don't have the energy or time this year. YIKES!!

Karen said...

Looks like a wonderful family time!
I'm not a Friday shopper. I just don't do crowds! ;0)

Dawn said...

Me again - I wanted to encourage you to encourage Kristen with what you said to me. She thinks she's huge. But she was so tiny with the other two, I can't even believe it looking at those pictures. And she never keeps any weight on. Not fair!!

gail@more than a song said...

What fun to have a big crowd of family! My hubby always says there's nothing like a party for getting the house cleaned up. And you did shopping too, very impressive.