Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom





She was born in 1927...before the Great Depression even began.
During WWII, she was a teen, helping to plant victory gardens and gathering recyclables for the war effort.
She graduated from William Jennings Bryan college...taught Kindergarten...and then met my dad when she was age 30, beginning a new stage in her life.



She's been a devoted mother to me from the very beginning.


I was her only child...and she faithfully cared and taught me through the years, always ready to listen whenever I needed to share my heart.

And years later, after I was grown, she and my father received their ministers' licenses together and began working in prison ministry in the last years of his life.

Through my adult years she's been my very best friend...and during my first married year when my new husband was deployed for six months, she flew across the country to be with me for the holidays in Virginia.
She came again during his next deployment, and together we toured local sights, even driving together to Mt. Vernon...and spent many hours of "girl talk".

She was finally blessed with her first grandchildren...and they love her dearly.



Today marks her 81st birthday...

Happy Birthday, Mom!!!

32 comments:

someone else said...

What an awesome tribute!! She sounds like a wonderful, wonderful woman. Happy Birthday to your mom!

Susan said...

Happy 81st birthday to you dear mother, Tammy!!!! Wonderful tribute.
Susan

ruth said...

Darling, That was so sweet! I was very touched by all that you wrote.
After so many years of wanting a child, you came along to make my dream come true & to give me lots of joy. You are so special & I am proud of the way you both are bringing up those precious grandchildren to know & love the Lord, & to become the women he intends them to be.
Thanks to all our Blogging friends for their Birthday greetings

Susie said...

Dear Tammy,
I can feel all your love and pride for your Mom just shining through in this post. Very touching..
Wishing her the happiest of birthdays..
xoxo

Cris said...

Happy birthday to your mom! What a beautiful post, in a few words you described a lifetime, what a beautiful tribute. xoxox

Dawn said...

What a great post! I know you and she have a great relationship - and that she is so thrilled to have two granddaughters - and will live closer soon??

Mary said...

Tammy,

An awesome tribute to your Mom and thanks so much for inviting me to wish her many happy returns of the day. She was born the same year as my mother. Mom was born in September.

Happy Birthday Tammy's Mom. I wish you a year of love, joy and good health.

Blessings,
Mary

Beck said...

Beautiful photos, Tammy. Happy birthday to your mother.

Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet Mom, Tammy! Aren't we blessed to still have our very best friends with us. I treasure every day I have with my Mom - as you do. Blessings to you all!

Barb said...

Bless her heart, Tammy. Eighty-one!

My father is eighty-two. I know what a huge milestone birthdays in the 80's are and how blessed we are to still have our parents.

This is a lovely tribute to her.

You're right. I'm busy as a bee, helping my daughter with my brand spanking new granddaughter, but I'm not too busy to say,

Happy Birthday to your sweet Mom!

Grafted Branch said...

Oh, Tammy! You are blessed. I'm so glad you know it, too. Happy Birthday to your wonderful, blog-writing mom! (I need to check out her latest--it's been awhile.)

I like the pretty picture on your header (and the profile photo too). :)

Mississippi Girl said...

Happy Birthday to your mom. LOVE the photo tribute!!
Jennifer R.

Nadine said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful mom. She made a beautiful bride. Your tribute was so touching.

Pamela said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday.
I've been waiting for her to write more on her blog!!

Jill said...

i just loved all of the photos and your sweet words were wonderful. I think it's neat we have moms so close in age....only a couple months apart. Every year is a blessing. Happy Birthday to your mom.

gail@more than a song said...

That's so sweet Tammy! I know how much you love her and bet you're ready for her to live close to you.
Happy birthday to your mom!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful to be blessed with a mother to treasure! I love my mom so much, too!

The pictures of your girls with your mom as so sweet.

Happy birthday to another March celebrator! I know you two are blessed to have one another!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, and a beautiful mama!

Happy Birthday Tammy's Mama!!!

You look MAH-VALUS DAHLING!!!

Momma Roar said...

What a wonderful tribute!!

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy BIRTHDAY!!

So I have no pictures to use - but that might just be even more strange than my post for Ginger, huh? heeheee

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Tammy,
What a sweet and tearful tribute to your beautiful mother!

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Susannah said...

She's a true gem. I didn't know you were an "only" child! Happy birthday Ruth. Hugs!

Cyndi said...

Happy, happy birthday to your precious mom!

Ms. Kathleen said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mother! So sweet! I just love those old photos!

God Bless!!

Carole Burant said...

Oh dear, I missed your mom's birthday!! Happy Belated Birthday, Tammy's MOM:-)I so loved seeing all the pictures...she was beautiful as a baby and is still beautiful to this day! You have the same kind of relationship with your mom as I have with mine...isn't it wonderful:-) xoxo

Myrna said...

Happy Birthday, Tammy's mom!
She sounds like a treasure, Tammy. I know you love her MUCH!

ruth said...

Thanks to all of you for your Birthday greetings & wishes for me. I haven't written in my Blog for awhile because as most of you know, I have been busy trying to get my house ready for sale & going through 30 plus years of accuulation of things & trying to decide what to keep & what to eliminate, a BIG job as you can imagine as this is a fairly good size house & has 3 bedrooms, a living room, dining room, kitchen & nook, a family room & is over 1700 square feet.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

How very sweet! You sound like one blessed woman!

Sandy said...

Hi Tammy - I think the 2nd pix down of your mom looks like yoU!

Cheryl said...

Enjoy her each and every day. Mother's are irreplaceable. (I don't think I spelled that right, but you get the gist of it.)

JulieMom said...

What a sweet post!

I miss my own Mother dearly. But we will meet again one day!

Good to know there are still moms and daughters out there who are close and loving.

Warmed my heart. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love that first picture. Happy bday to your mom.

Anonymous said...

belated happy birthday to your dear mom. =D