Monday, March 03, 2008

"California Here I Come, right back where I started from!"




We're literally counting the days until our big road trip to California.
And just so you and all the burglars lurking out there can know, today marks
26.

I still remember the excitement waking up at 5 am one morning in July of '77.
And as a fourteen year old, taking my first road trip to California -complete with Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and Sea World- was about the only thing that would make me feel giddy about such unheard of hour in the morning!

We had the car all loaded and headed out...stopping in Eugene to pick up my nephew. I tell you, I can remember the excitement as he joined us in the car as if it were yesterday!

All the way down, we played games like Hangman, told stories and laughed...and occasionally plucking a plum from the ice chest between us in the backseat.

The "getting there" was almost as much fun as the destination!
Almost...but of course, not quite...

I think I've shown these pictures before...but now that I'm starting to feel just a little giddy again as we continue our countdown, it's fun to look at these memories.

Since I am an only child, my dad thought it would be fun to take my nephew, Randy - his grandson from his previous marriage- who was just three years younger than me.
We always got along amazingly well, so not only was it a good experience for R., but I had a lot more fun having another kid along than I would have otherwise.
(And even though I was a teen, I was still very much a "kid"!)

Here we are in Knotts Berry Farm, posing with a true native American Indian...colorful, don't you think?


By the way, this same nephew is now a Navy chaplain, and has a beautiful family close in age to our girls. He lives in California now, so we'll be getting to visit them on this same trip!

As I begin to pray for this family trip, not only do I pray for safety, but for a wonderful, bonding time for all of us.
For them to enjoy the journey almost as much as the destination...which holds hugs from Snow White and rides on teacups...

and that someday, they'll be looking at pictures from our first long road trip years from now... and feel the excitement all over again.

23 comments:

Nancy said...

How exciting... your kids will be so excited that they will not be able to sleep for days before the trip! It will also be educational for them.

I love the pictures of your California visit. My scanner doesn't work so I don't get to share old photos until I get it fixed. It does make your blog so very interesting and I appreciate that.

I have a few Mexico pictures posted today. It was a great trip but a blessing to be back home to my own bed!

Justabeachkat said...

How exciting! We're actually leaving this Sunday for a two week trip to Palm Desert. Yippee!!

Hugs!
Kat

Ms. Kathleen said...

How fun! I was there twice last year and had a blast both times! So fun! I LOVE the ocean so grab some sand and send some my way. I love the smell of the ocean. God Bless and take LOTS of photos! Hugs!

ruth said...

I remember that we had a lot of fun on the trip ,but not the details I'm sure you remember. It is always more fun to have more than one child to share the fun & I'm glad we took our special grandson along wih us. It is nice to see how well mannered his own kids are, thanks to both their mom & dad who are bringing them up right,

Anonymous said...

Disneyland! It's my favorite place in the world!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I have seen these pics before, and I love them. That's how I know I've been reading you a while now!

Dawn said...

I'll never forget my first trip either, but I was a junior in college! My younger brother was getting married ( much to my chagrin!), and we went the day after their wedding. We saw the newlyweds there and hollered at them from the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse - they rushed the other direction as fast as they could go! I know they were horrified that we saw them on their special day. I'd love to take the grands there someday - if I can figure out a day that it's not crowded! Ha. I know you'll have a wonderful time. I'm glad you get to see your cousin and family as well.

Carole Burant said...

Oh Tammy, reading this post has me feeling all excited for you:-) Want to go a bit out of your way and pick me up first? lol I so loved seeing these old pictures of you at Disneyland and Knot's Berry Farm. May we never outgrow the joy of being amongst our favourite Disney characters:-) xoxo

Nadine said...

It's exciting to go on a road trip. Last July we went on a trip to see our son in LA and bring him all his stuff he had left at our house.

I know you will take many pictures to share. BTW - great pic of you with long hair.

groovyoldlady said...

That sounds so fun...Can we come along?

I am SO ready for a vacation!

Karen said...

How much fun you're going to have! Loved looking at your pictures, too.
I will pray for safety for your travels. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you all! I can't wait to read all about it!

gail@more than a song said...

How fun, I know y'all will have a blast! And it'll be fun memories for your girls...and you might get really great posts too, but hopefully not as eventful as your Hawaii trip!

"where bowers of flowers bloom in the spring..California here I come"

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

You got me all excited just reading it. I too think the ride can be sooo much fun and create just as many memories as the destination. Praying you have a WONDERFUL time!

BTW we are taking a "little" road trip ourselves this weekend and this post made me all the more excited:)

Midlife Mom said...

You will have such a wonderful time and make so many precious memories! Some of the best times we have had have been at Disney World with our family. We started going when our son was only 18 months old because my parents lived very near there. Now we go with the grand kids and make more memories with them. It's one of our favorite places. My aunt used to work at Knott's Berry Farm when they had an antique shop there. I have all her old costumes that she had to wear to work. We went there several years ago but the antique shop is gone. It's a really fun place though!!

Susan said...

They will. I'm glad you put attention to enjoying the journey itself and not just the destination. I think so many people miss that part!
Susan

Susan said...

Tammy, just saw your comment. I would HIGHLY recommend it. It is so neat the way the Holy Spirit gives the topics to so many. I love that when I experience it.
Susan

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, how exciting. I loved the pictures, what memories!

Have a wonderful trip, 26 days isn't long at all.

Denise said...

Oh,,,,,,, you have lots of fun,,,,,,,,,,, I love road trips.. I love the going and coming back....... the journey has always been the highlight of all of my road trips......... its the little girl in me.......... the new places and the new people....... enjoy and God protect you and you and your fam. get out and about.......

Sandy said...

How about 1974? I had the same feeling as my parents woke us up EARLY (during the night!) to drive to LA. We went to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and Seaworld, too! Except for Seaworld, I was sick throwing up in the car. I missed out ...
Great memories. Fun reading this post. Felt like I was w/you. And really fun pix!

Kelli said...

How exciting! You all are going to have such a fun time!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Have fun in California. What a blast. I am craving a vacation....

Kim said...

Your family will have a great time! My girls and I will be going this fall so I'm looking forward to hearing about your stops and how it all went.