
First of all, thank you so much to all of you who replied on my wedding post. I was overwhelmed with all of the sweet replies- I read each and every one and they honestly completely blessed me!
It seems like it's been ages since my last Friday Show and Tell! But I think I can blend a recent event with sharing something special...
Tuesday night, I watched as my littlest graduated from Kindergarten.

Although we do home school, our church presented a large Sunday School graduation night for all of their Kindergarteners...a wonderful chance for us to celebrate this time in her life.
Which brings me to my Show and Tell...
As we've been going through more and more of my mom's things so that she can sell her home, she recently gave me the little pinafore I had as a child. A simple little wisp of a cotton jumper-type dress that she always used to say reminded her of Alice in Wonderland.
Last week, I suddenly remembered it hanging in our extra closet...and decided that maybe my own little girl could wear it for her special night.
So Tuesday evening, as I took it off the hanger, I realized I hadn't even tried it on her to make sure it would actually fit!
But thankfully, it did...and perfectly!
As I tied her sash, she told me how beautiful it was, and my heart just swelled...
and truth be told, it was a little like looking at myself in the mirror of my past. Only she was even more adorable!

This would be the first time someone other than myself wore this little pinafore...a full... (gulp!) 40 years ago. (And no, I don't have a photo of myself wearing it- I wish I did!)
As we watched her sing with the rest of the graduates...and come forth when her name was called to receive her diploma,...
well, this alone was enough to tug at the heartstrings.
And then add to this that she was wearing her mommy's dress...oh, well, it's amazing I held it all together.
My own mom wasn't in town to see her cross the stage in person, or I think there would have indeed been tears going on! (But how she loved seeing the photos the next morning!)
I have to say, our church was so generous...presenting each graduate with their own children's study Bible, a diploma, and a little teddy bear...

The parents had gotten a chance to write a heart-felt letter to their child the previous Sunday and then parents lined up to meet them on the stage to help present the Bible.I think this is such a tremendous way to not only make each child feel special, but help plant the seed for the Word of God!
I feel so thankful to be a part of a church that puts such emphasis on our children and holds them in high esteem.
And much more than the fact that she wore my childhood dress, this was truly a special evening...
I know I'll always treasure it.
And I hope she will also remember this special time as a milestone of sorts...and that it will hold a special place in her memory and heart as she continues her life walk with Jesus.

For more Show and Tell participants, stop by at our gracious host, Kelli's at There is No Place Like Home!








37 comments:
Very neat story! I'm glad you kept this dress and remembered it just in time. I wish I had kept more of the things I sewed, but thought pictures would suffice.
Your church did a very special thing. What a blessing!
What a wonderful story, Tammy! Your daughter is adorable and what a sweet treasure from your childhood! Have a great weekend!
~Kelli
P.s. Your link on Mr. Linky was from an older post back in May, but I just added your recent one.
Awesome! Sniffle.
I enjoyed that story so much. What a blessing to have your daughter wear something from your childhood. She looked great.
Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed it.
What a special memory and that pinafore was just the icing on the cake of a wonderful time. Congratulations to her!
That is so great that your church would take the time to do this for the children. I just love little girls wearing their momma's dresses too! Thanks for sharing!
What a wonderful ceremony. That is a great church to acknowledge such big steps in life.
Sorry it has taken me awhile to get by. I am not spending too much time at the computer, otherwise I'll have to cut myself off AGAIN.
How sweet and precious she got to wear it. Hang on to it and the new pics of her in it. Who knows who might wear it in the furture.
A totally groovy story! How perfect that your dress fit her for such a special occasion.
Makes me all misty...
Hi Tammy,
What a sweet story to connect your generations! Your daughter looks just adorable at her graduation ceremony. How wonderful of your church to honor the children's achievements!
xo
Tammy,
What a beautiful S&T you have this week and that pinafore and your daughter are beautiful. Now she will have a photo of that lovely pinafore.
I would pack it away in acid free tissue paper when she is done using it and save it so that one day she can give it to your granddaughter. ;-)
Thanks for commenting on the photos of the apartment. It is really a mess and I'm looking forward to posting the "after" photos.
My computer room is cluttered as well because I am a writer and I have papers everywhere but the apartment had a lot of dirt that went with the clutter. I don't know if you read the post saying we took 14 bags of garbage off the back deck. That was a job.
Take care and have a nice weekend.
Blessings,
Mary
A precious post.
Nancy
Well, I am sure there were tears...cuz I sure have them. Precious story and I loved putting pinafores on my daughter. Don't see them too much anymore!
Wow- she does look like you as a little girl! What a neat memory. And I love the family photo at the end.
Fantastic S&T!!!!! My heart was singing right along with yours as I was reading this. How wonderfully special, Tammy. I hope that little dress is saved and that your granddaughter will wear it some day!!!!
((hugs))
Susan
What a doll! I'm glad the dress fit her. Mine just graduated preschool and starts kindergarten this year. Amazing how fast it goes!
What a special event, and how wonderful that she wore your dress!
Hi Tammy,
What a sweet Show and Tell. Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of your little girl being in your old outfit. So sweet!!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the very kind and lovely comment!
This is a very special show & tell. I'm glad you shared it with us. I'm amazed when I read about these dresses that have been saved and worn by daughters and granddaughters.
Mama Bear
Tammy,
I found your blog through Kelli's Show and Tell. I've really enjoyed reading through your posts!
We sound so similiar...all the way down to the movies that we like. My name is Tammy and we're a homeschooling family too.
Stop by and visit my blog sometime.
When I figure out the Show and Tell thing, I will try to participate too.
Have a great weekend!
Tammy
Tammy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog for the visit and for your comments! Thanks, too, for the heads up on what it took to read the page. I have no idea why that is, and why it does it for some people and not others. Oh well..
Thanks again!
Tammy
What a wonderful story! That dress is precious and your daughter looks so cute in it. It does look like an Alice in Wonderland dress! That is a special ceremony your church has.
I am so glad that I saved the little Pinafore dress & that my granddaughter had a chance to wear it on such a special occasion. I look at pictures of both girls & see little minatures of you at that their different ages, since there is a resemblance of you in each of them. How wonderful that she recived the children's Bible & that your church makes their little ones feel so special.
what a courageous person but when you see the one you love that is it. Your little girl is growing up! Pretty soon you will be enjoying her as an adult. I did four times and it is nice and then....but you don't want to hear the rest yet!!! She looks so beautiful ....thank you for stopping by...
How simply precious!
What an exciting time and how awesome of your church to do this presentation and the gifts! It is really nice for homeschooled kids to participate in some of these "social/acadmeic" milestones that those of us with our children in public schools sometimes take for granted!
Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'll be back to visit yours...
Enjoy the weekend
Congratulations to your daughter. What a wonderful way to celebrate her accomplishments this year. Wearing "mom's dress" will make an extra special memory of this event for her.
I have some items that we mine and evenone baby ring that was my mother's that have been passed on to my daughter. I'm grateful that she has appreciated these items as they've been given to her, and enjoy seeing them "used" again.
This is a big day for you and
your daughter! On to elementary
grades.... Such an adorable story.
just WOW.
Such a special time for all of you. Your daughter looks priceless in the little dress. I remember having a skirt from when I was about 2 years old that I put on Lindsey and was amazed that it had been mine all those years ago.
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful event in the life of your family.
Wow...I LOVE it that she wore that sweet pinafore! That's a huge graduating class for K in church. It's great that they do that.
Many hugs,
Susan
What a wonderful event to share! Thank you! What a great story!!
Join me every weekend for "Weekend Decorating" on my blog: http://emsbingy.blogspot.com if you would like to. Hope to see you there!
Have a great night!
What a lovely post and an adorable little dress - your daughter looks so lovely wearing it.
Ah, love that last picture of your family. Thanks for sharing your memories.
What a neat story... and the dress just looked adorable on her. I too admire your Church for showing the children that they are special and that God loves them. You and your husband are doing a great job raising your girls. Continue to enjoy every minute with them... they are precious and this time passes so fast!
So very sweet. I did the same dress thing with my littles one in Pre-K pics. It is a precious memory, for sure.
I'm coming in a bit after the fact here, but good memories and stories are wonderful all the time!
It was sweet hearing your wedding memories and the graduation of your little one is wonderful too. So glad she got to wear your dress.
Post a Comment