Sunday, June 01, 2008

From This Day Forward... (Our Wedding Story)

1st Monday Every Month at Chrysalis
Want this button?


Welcome to Marriage Monday, hosted by Chrysalis!
In honor of June, the theme this month is

"Our Wedding Day"...



When I think back to my wedding, and all the days leading up to it, it seems like a whirlwind of happiness, excitement, a few snags, a tiny bit of stress...and with just a little bit of loneliness thrown in.

Loneliness, you ask?
You see, my fiance', who had joined the Navy the previous summer, was half way across the country during most of this frantic and exciting time.
Therefore, I was left to make all the decisions (and to make them all on a tiny shoestring budget!)

With my minuscule savings, though, I somehow managed to pick out my dream dress...
I picked out our cake, the topper, the flowers, the photographer...and all the millions of other details that I'm sure my fiance' was just as glad to stay out of and leave all to me!

My mom did go with me for dress fittings, meetings with florists, ect. But mainly she was just there for moral support- the decisions were all up to me. Which was both good and bad.

And did I mention I had to do it all in
four short months?

Actually, this wasn't as stressful as you might think.
Some couples differ or even argue over everything from invitations to fruit punch...
Not the case with us. I got to make all the choices.
His job was to fly in and show up on the appointed day with the ring and wearing his tux.
(OK, I exaggerate just a tad...)

But truth be told, there was a bit of an interesting challenge trying to find things for my wedding in time...at the right price...and that I actually liked.

Oh, there were a few times that I secretly wished we weren't counting the pennies.
For example, after the most important things to me were picked out, I was forced to cut corners...one of them being the decorating of the church. I could only afford real flowers for my bouquet and our wedding party...but the church had to be donned with artificial flowers. Deep inside, I was a little disappointed at the outcome...but I reminded myself that what happened on this day was more important than any superficial surroundings.

I had hired a photographer, but the camcorders were covered...we had both the best man's wife and one of his brothers each bringing one for our big event.
Or so I thought.

Finally, our day arrived.
Right before my two dear bridal attendants were about to make their entrance, we found out that both- both- of these camcorders were forgotten.
One of my attendants and dear friend that she is caught my falling expression before it hit the floor and quickly said anything and everything she could think of to not let it spoil the moment for me. (It worked, bless her heart!)

(Minutes before the ceremony...my quick thinking friend, D. is on the left as they practice "their walk".)

I should add that my husband-to-be and I saw one another only once during our engagement period due to the miles of distance between us.
So when my moment arrived, and I began my slow walk in my dreamed-of flowing gown, it was the first time he had seen me in an entire two months.

Now, some brides relish their walk, regally smiling at everyone as they slowly walk on their father's arm.
My mom had offered to walk me down the isle, but as much as I loved her, I was more of a traditionalist, so I was to go it alone. (Yes, Mom...if I had to do it over...)

As I walked those first couple steps all alone in my flowing white gown, I remember feeling more than a bit of stage fright...
I wasn't thinking of the flowers (or lack thereof) nor the fact that our ceremony wouldn't be captured on film. And I was especially
not I jittery about marriage itself.

But nevertheless, my bouquet probably trembled as I walked in step to The Wedding March.
The blur of faces seemed to not even be smiling at me, but looking back I know it was more due to my nervousness that made it appear so.

But then I dared to look up into the face of my beloved, whom I hadn't seen in months and who I was now about to pledge my undying love.
When I saw him beaming down at me as he stood on the platform, I couldn't help but beam in return.
I knew I could make it the rest of the way if I kept my eyes on him and the way he was looking at me...
And as he stepped down to take my arm, the rest of the room faded completely from view...


I can't help now but think of the hidden meaning that took place in this ceremony. No wonder God designed marriage as a symbol of Christ and the Church!
If we just keep our eyes on Him in the midst of life's trials or fears- and even see a glimpse of the way He lovingly sees us- all us will begin to fade a bit from our view.


My earthly groom can still make my heart beat faster.
But unlike Christ, he is only human- complete with human failings. And so am I.
So it's a day-to-day process of accepting and forgiving...


And occasionally stepping away from the hectic pace of life and going back in time together...back to that incredible day when we looked into one another eyes after time and distance had kept us apart, and took our vows to always love, honor and cherish...

When all we could see was each other.

44 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

I'm behind (again) so it's fun getting to "catch up" with you tonight. I loved reading about your wedding and seeing the photos.

I hope your weekend was a good one.

Hugs!
Kat

.Tom Kapanka said...

Great story. Julie and I are also a June wedding (28 years ago). My daughter and her husband were over tonight and we were just saying that it's hard to believe they are about to celebrate their 1 year anniversary. I wrote about it last summer:
When it hit me

Susie said...

Oh Tammy,
I love reading wedding stories and yours is one of the most romantic and heartfelt that I've ever read.
You both look blissfully happy and I pray that feeling continues for both of you all the days of your lives.
xo

someone else said...

Aw, what a sweet, sweet story. I felt the romance and dreaminess all the way through it.

Dawn said...

I, too, love wedding stories. You were definitely a beautiful bride, and he was (and is) definitely smitten! Your analogy is wonderful.

I did my wedding on a shoestring budget as well - the wedding is important and wonderful, but the marriage is so much more! Thanks for sharing your wonderful story with us in more detail.

Jana said...

What a beautiful post - you brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing your lovely wedding with us!

Nadine said...

Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. You looked lovely - a very beautiful bride.

Susanne said...

What a beautiful story, Tammi! You made a beautiful couple then and now! I was a June bride even though I always swore I never would be. Isn't that weird? It'll be 25 years for us this year.

Miriam Pauline said...

Beatiful memories. Bless you for sharing.

Michelle said...

thanks for sharing your story! I can imagine that would have been stressful trying to plan it all without him there with you! I probably would have broken down when I heard the news that neither person brought the camcorder!

Unknown said...

What a great love story, with a happy ending. You make a lovely couple. I wish you many more years together with loads of happiness.Lisa~

Susannah said...

You were a gorgeous bride! Wow, your dress is fit for a princess.

Your story sounds SO SIMILAR to my daughter's! She's been waiting for her fiance to return from sea too. He finally made it into port in Honalulu, but has to stay on ship for another week. (NOAA Corps.) She's done most of the wedding planning without him, like you did.

I can imagine his joy watching you float down the aisle toward him--after being away so long. Truly a fairy tale, Tammy!

And yes, such a fitting metaphor for Christ and His glorious bride, the Church.

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday. :~D

ruth said...

You were & still are as beautiful as the day you walked down the aisle to join your husband at the altar. Yes I did shed a few tears, but of happiness & not sorrow & was happy to gain a new "son" whom I knew I would learn to love. I was sad that your dad wasn't there to walk you down as my big brother had done for me, & would have done for you if he hadn't just had surgery. I hope that someone in heaven told your dad of the joyous event taking place & that two beautiful daughters were born to you both a few years later.

Susan said...

Hi Tammy,

Wow, what an awesome story. Even thought the camcorders were not there, looks like you remembered all those details!!

I loved how you concluded your story.

Your dress was just BEAUTIFUL too!!

Blessings to you and your hubby♥

Anonymous said...

Lovely story - how crazy that you hadn't seen each other in two months! Must have made the event all the more cherished. Thanks for a great story!!

Sandy said...

Love this Tammy! Great pix, too!

Mary said...

Tammy,

This is an awesome story. What a beautiful bride and handsome groom. I enjoyed the photos and you certainly did a great job putting it all together. Your wedding dress was similar to mine when I married my first husband in '66. Mine had a lace overskirt. After my first husband died, I was a single parent for 17 years. When I remarried it was just a small get-together at my mothers.

Enjoyed my visit.
Blessings,
Mary

Susan said...

What a beautiful tribute to your special day!

Hugs,

Susan

Connie Marie said...

Very beautiful bride. I would have loved to be there and see your big smile for your new husband.

Linda said...

That just made my day Tammy. What a beautiful couple and what a sweet wedding story. When it comes right down to it, you had the most important things of all.
Thank you for sharing your special memories.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

You wrote that so well!!! And I LOVE that you talked of how marriage is a reflection of Christ and the church.

Grafted Branch said...

I love these pictures, Tammy.

There's such a story in them. A story about a lovely bride and a handsome young groom--real people...in real love.

Too often today it seems that weddings are over the top, just for the sake of being over the top! Or maybe I've seen one too many commercials for "Bridezillas." lol.

Anyway, it's always a please to read you talking about your marriage and family.

Peculiar said...

I really enjoyed this story. It was an incredible adventure, and though it sometimes seemed lonely, God got you through it, and it looked like everything turned out fine. I like what you said at the end about seeing marriage like Christ and the church. Thanks for your story.

Dawn said...

Hi Tammy,

I enjoyed reading your story and the application for all of us.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Tammy, what a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your story!

Carole Burant said...

This post has brought tears to my eyes...I can just imagine what you felt like when you were walking down the aisle, seeing your future husband to be for the first time in 2 months and knowing you hadn't made the wrong decision! Planning your own wedding without your fiance to help must have been very stressful but you certainly handled it all well:-) Loved all the pictures, dear Tammy, what a beauty you are!! xoxo

Donetta said...

Beautiful , Just beautiful.
D

Shari said...

We had to do our wedding on a small budget, too. We didn't want to charge anything and 18 years later we're still wearing the same inexpensive gold bands from J.C. Penney's. I'm sure that your guests didn't really miss the flowers. It's too bad that your wedding didn't get video taped though. It sounds like it was a really special event, especially sine you hadn't seen each other for a couple of months.

Pamela said...

your post has me humming that song... 'How beautiful"... you were, are.. and so is this story.

Lalaine said...

you have a beautiful story, I specially love the part when you looked at your groom and you both beamed and seems like nothing else matters..:)

Thanks for sharing!

Jan Parrish said...

Wonderful post. My DH was in the Navy when we married as well. We had only 2 months to prepare for the wedding. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

this is sooo beautiful. What a great post..Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jill said...

Tammy- I just loved seeing these photos and reading about your weddding. I didn't have much time or money for mine, either, but there were lots of lovely moments that money couldn't buy anyway.

Tami said...

Sweet post, Tammy. Congratulations!

Constance said...

It looks like we DO enjoy some of the same music! I especially like the Big Band, 1940's music. My mother is from Germany and so while I was growing up, I was exposed to a lot of different kinds of music, everything from opera to country western ( my father's interest).

Thanks for sharing the story of your wedding with all of us. Our youngest daughter is getting married in November and I have been trying to convince her to go simple. It started out that way and is growing ever bigger. We gave her a set amount of money and told her that that was all she was getting. Anything she spends above that has to come out of their own pockets. I don't think she's thought about floral decorations yet, they finally decided on the reception.

Wake me when it's over!
Connie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sharing of this time in your life. Soon it will be wedding day around here. After a long distance relationship these two are more than ready to be married and share their first kiss.

Loved reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

Susannah said...

Tammy, I just remembered that your MM link was a bit wonky (a photohunters link)... so I'm going to repost it now for you.

Doesn't seem like you lacked for commenters though! :~D

Midlife Mom said...

What a lovely story! I could relate to a lot of it as we did our wedding on a shoestring as we didn't want to owe anything after the wedding. Our whole wedding didn't cost more then $500.00 but of course that was 37 years ago and things were a lot cheaper then. Some day I will post my pictures too. I loved your thoughts on keeping your eyes on Him, always a good reminder!

Nancy said...

What a fun story... and I love the pictures! Our anniversary is this month too... 33 years! Now that is hard to believe.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

What a great story. Beautiful pictures.

Susie Q said...

OH dear Tammy! This was so precious and I feel honored to be able to share in these memories with you.
I loved reading it and seeing the photos.
You were beautiful then and are beautiful now...even more so if that is possible.

Blessing to you both and your family.

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Lovely! :o)

Susan said...

Beautiful, Tammy!!! We are the Bride of Christ and He is getting us ready for the wedding!!!
Susan

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a sweet wedding story! My hubby was working thousands of my miles away so I too had to do all the planning alone.
I recently posted about meeting my hubby 36 years ago and part two will be later this month on our 33rd wedding anniversary. Stop over and read it when you have time.
hugs, Linda