Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Thank you! (Lil Cherub's Update)

It is SO wonderful to have praying friends- some that I haven't even met! Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragment concerning my littlest's dental "surgery". I appreciated them more than you know...and my husband and I could feel the prayers working from the first moment!

Although to some it might not seem like a huge deal, having to be put under for dental work, to me it seemed- well- somewhat daunting.
There's just something about your own little helpless child that makes you all the more nervous.

The answer to prayers started when my little girl got up this morning, happy as a lark and not worried at all about getting to go to sleep at the dentist's. She hates going normally, but today she was thrilled that her big day had arrived- and happy to be sleeping through it all!

One of my friends graciously offered to let my oldest go over and home school with her children and my husband met me at the dental office.

The anesthesiest specializes in working with children, and is a young family man, himself. A very nice guy...however, his way of starting the "sleepy medicine" is three-fold...starting with a shot! And I guess he's use to children not being happy when presented with a large needle... so he basically jabbed her before she even saw it coming...which to my mind, may not have been the best strategy in Cherub's case. She likes to be warned, so this probably quickly diminished the trust factor just a bit.
But she barely had time to loudly object...that medicine was powerful.

The bad news was that it turned out that just about all her teeth were either cavities or beginnings of cavities. We knew it was rampant, but this was even worse than we thought...so to clean them all up and fill them took a lot longer than we were originally told.

(Basically, what that means to us, is that even though we were already being careful about sugar before, and brushed up to four times a day...now we have to be even more militant.)

Someone came back and told us this cavity news and how it would be a longer wait, and they were great about keeping us updated in that all was going well. But all in all, she was in there- out cold- for about three and a half hours!

When finally they brought us in to hold her, she was still fast asleep. It seemed to take forever for her to gradually wake...and when she finally did, she slurred her words when she tried to speak...barely peeking through the puffy slits of her eyes.
Her head would wobble backwards if we didn't support it- just like a newborn baby.
She told us she wanted to try and walk...so hubby held her hands as if she were a one year old again, and she moved her feet slowly- not yet able to even carry herself.

We were assured all of this was normal. But I have to say- it did seem to resemble, in a very disconcerning way, a child with birth defects or brain injury. It was very strange and disturbing to see her this way...but underneath all of my concern was the gratitude that she would be normal and whole again.

Hopefully, I won't be as proned to take that for granted quite as much from now on.

The money issue in all of this? Well, let's just say that we nearly fell onto the waiting room floor when we saw the bill. We're still not sure what all our insurance will cover at this point, but we're confident God will take care of us and that all of this will work out.

But despite that, we are feeling grateful. Lil Cherub is up and walking around this afternoon...still a little wobbly, but feeling better every hour.

So thank you again for your prayers! It is an amazing thing to feel the support and prayers on your behalf...
whether it's a small matter, large problem- or something in-between.

19 comments:

Malissa said...

That is wonderful. I am glad you all came out of this okay.

ruth said...

Needless to say "Nammy" did a lot of praying for my sweet little granddaughter & I was happy to be able to talk to her this afternoon.
It is hard when they are so little, & I'm thankful that she came through it so well.
ruth

Barb said...

So it's done. I'm sorry you all have to work so hard to maintain her teeth. It's difficult with kids who don't have this problem.

Guess what? My "baby" is twenty-five years old. She's coming to my house tomorrow night because Thursday morning she's going under anesthesia to have all four wisdom teeth removed. And I'm just as concerned about it as I would be if she were three years old. You never stop being a mommy.

I'm so ready to take care of her - lots of chicken noodles soup and broth and 7-up in case the anesthesia makes her sick like it does everyone else in our family. Sigh.

I'm glad this ordeal is over and I'll say a prayer your insurance takes a huge bite out of that bill!

Dawn said...

Wow, that was quite an ordeal. I've never heard of this situation with a child before, and I feel bad for you and for her. I'm glad she handled it so well. What a blessing. Aren't our blog friends wonderful??

Susie said...

Tammy,
I'm so glad prayers were heard and answered! That was a big ordeal for anyone, much less a sweet four year old.
Everything is so very expensive these days! Praying your bill is covered by insurance.
:)

Anonymous said...

she's so brave! at my age now, i still hate going to the dentist. my husband still has to hold my hand and talk to me while the dentist did what she has to do. oh, goodness! i have to close my eyes just so i wouldn't see how big the injection was. i'd faint! haha!

Anonymous said...

Glad this part is behind you....your child being under anesthesia is never fun.

Mississippi Girl said...

So glad your sweet girl did well, and that her little "ordeal" is over!!
Jennifer R.

Carole Burant said...

I can imagine how relieved you are that it's all done and over with! It's amazing how fast children bounce back, isn't it! May she be recovered 100% real soon! xox

Susanne said...

Oh dear, hoping that your insurance takes care of most of that nasty bill! Dentist bills are always a shock but probably even more so with Christmas just around the corner.

Jana said...

Glad to hear everything went well. Our four year old is going to have to go through this in January. He's got cavities in all four quadrants. Fun.

Anonymous said...

*Happy Dance!*

Anonymous said...

Glad your little one is doing better. What an ordeal.

Came over to see you from Mama Heffalump's. We're a homeschooling family also. My oldest graduated last year and my youngest is in first this year. We have five in all.

Pamela said...

Praise God for his loving mercy on your sweet daughter! So glad everything turned out well. :)

Anonymous said...

It's so good to have this behind you. I'm glad she is doing so well.

Anonymous said...

It's good to have this behind you. I'm glad she is doing so well, even if she is a little wobbly yet.

Anonymous said...

It's good to have this behind you. I'm glad she is doing so well, even if she is a little wobbly yet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, am I ever having trouble with comments tonight. Apologies offered.

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, am I ever having trouble with comments tonight. Apologies offered.