
This was one of those packed in weekends of Christmastime for us...
Would you like to hear about it? It's not like most of you don't have your own busy weekends right now, also... ;)
I promise not to make it too long...and what if I throw in some pictures?
OK, good...
It was actually a nice weekend over all. Just very, very busy!
It started Friday night, we saw a beautiful Christmas program at a nearby church.
Then, while hubby had to work on Saturday, I threw some ingredients into the slow cooker... and hurried to help bathe and dress the girles to make it to the mall in time for their annual Christmas portraits. (And of course, I had the bright idea to not only pick a Saturday, but to pick the busiest Saturday of the year for this!)
The girls did an incredible job waiting and being patient, though. So I rewarded them with a trip to the golden arches inside the mall...
We sat by a flock of little princesses obviously there for a birthday party. They were adorable...and seemed to be having a grand time.
But not sure I would have picked the mall at Christmastime to host a birthday bash! But the only two moms present were probably not a day over 25, so their nerves were still young and unjangled.
I, on the other hand, was none too glad to escape the noisy fast-food land, especially when a worker began mopping under my feet as I took my last bite of yogurt parfait.
After all that, we did a bit of Christmas shopping and then finally came home to collapse.
And then there was Sunday!
After attending church, then help out in a class the next service, pose for some portraits being taken at church....we set off as a family to hunt down a Christmas tree.
Sweetiegirl spotted the perfect Charlie Brown tree...
No, let's keep looking...I kept finding the "perfect" tree, I'll have you know...but every year it's the same thing. Hubby doesn't want to get one right away, he wants to get good and cold first or it just isn't the same. ;)
But even I was happy when it actually started snowing as wandered through the trees!
Finally, we all found one we loved.
Quick, hold onto the tree so Daddy doesn't change his mind!
Yes, this was it, alright.
It was true love.

Daddy cut it down, and then the girls helped to carry it back to the car.
Five year old cherub helped by touching the tip of a branch while walking...
But my eight year old actually was carrying the top! It's the first year I didn't even need to help hubby lug it! I guess having your child get a little bigger isn't all bad!
As the tree was being carried off, some very noisy geese flew overhead...I don't know why, but I always get excited at the sight and sound of them flying south with such determination.
So with that, and the little flakes of snow falling gently on us, I have to say, it was a magical time.
Not all of our tree hunts have been H*llmark moments, mind you...there's been rain, cranky babies, or even strong disagreements about trees...but the last couple years it's been fun tromping through the hills together.
So we brought it home and even managed to decorate- well- most of it!
But I'll save those pictures for another time.
And what about you? If you get a real tree, how do you go about it? I'd love to hear!
In the meantime, have a wonderful week as we go about our traditions in celebration of His birth!








31 comments:
Well ... we have an artificial tree for many reasons. So I very much enjoyed your post. I felt like I was right there with you ... only warmer :)
Merry Christmas week of preparation, Tammy!!
That is a beautiful tree you all picked out. I have to say that I admire you actually trudging out to the hills to pick out a tree to cut down. My Dad used to take us to do that; then it got to where we eventually just started going to the tree lots in supermarket parking lots to pick out a tree.
We currently have an artificial tree. Someday I hope to go "real" again, but for now it's the easier, less messy way to go! I'm all for simplicity these days! ;-)
What a perfect tree - and you guys are such a lovely family!
MY dad and brother are off getting our Christmas tree right now. I'm a little bit worried about what they'll pick out...
Tammy- Thanks for sharing these precious moments. I do miss those times when the kids were small.
GOD even blessed you with magical snow from heaven- it just doesn't get better than that! No snow here, it is 78 degrees right now. What happened to winter?
I am with you on the geese.I always pause in amazement with the whole process.
I look forward to seeing photos of the tree.
How fun. We don't have a tree farm around here to go get trees that I know of. We have to get permits to go to certain parts of the mountains. I think. ;v)
We've had an artificial tree ever since one year the trees in all stores were so dry we were afraid to turn the lights on them a week before Christmas. Looking at your lovely shaped real tree and how much fun you have makes me really want a real tree we get ourselves.
I miss not having a real tree, but for now an articial one is easier for me. Even at that,I have to have my friend bring it in & help decorate it. I will enjoy your real one when I come up. The girls & you looked so adorable around the tree.
Awesome post! I really enjoyed this Tammy.
I read this and thought I'd commented.
There is something very special about a family looking for a tree.
It sounds like the perfect tree-cutting expedition! I kind of like that cute little Charlie Brown tree.
Love your pictures!
We put up our tree this weekend too! (From the Boy Scout lot, locally.) Your girls look so cute! Love that Charlie Brown tree. (We almost got one this year, just for fun.)
I like your sheerling coat. I have one too, minus the embroidery. Nice and toasty warm on these cooolllldd PNW days!
Hugs, e-Mom :~D
I LOVE real trees! We were going to get ours this weekend..BUT it was freezing..snow and cold. I wish we could go and cut down a tree somewhere but with the Colorado winds..the cut your own tree are kind of Charlie Brown like. Enjoyed your post....
Since you have read many of the early chapters, I wanted to let you know I posted the title chapter last night—a couple more chapters will wrap it up and I’ll be getting back to “normal” at POI.
It was fun to see your tree search, and hear about the picture taking. Some fun, some not so fun.
The kids and DC used to go to the mountains and get a tree while I made Kristen's birthday cake. But then we just began going to a lot to pick a fresh one from Colorado. Then I began picking it out myself. Now we have two artificial ones.
Keep the good memories going as long as you can!
So many of you have artificial trees, I'm actually surprised! But I guess I have to remember our three years staying in VA...trees were so expensive in the east! We're a bit spoiled with evergreens out here, and we live so close to u-cut farms everywhere.
But when I was growing up, I always went with my parents to a tree lot.
Cutting down our own is something I've only done since being married and I love it!
Love to read about your day!
We have a fake tree - just in last couple years. But we're all okay with it ... Have to be open to change :)
Happy Week!
Tammy,
Thanks for taking me along on your special weekend. We did have an articifical tree for a few years, but I prefer live ones, so that is what we always have now.
This year we aren't putting up a real tree, because we're leaving on the 27th for Florida and it would be chaos trying to get packed for the trip and taking down the tree before we left. We do have a little tree in a container that we will plant in the spring if it survives.
When we get a tree, we do much as you did this year. Hubby and I take the grandsons and go out to a Christmas tree farm and hike around until we find the "perfect" tree, which may or may not be perfect. We let the boys pick it out and they also get to help decorate it.
Thanks so much for sharing your tree hunting trip. I enjoyed it very much.
Blessings,
Mary
Hooray! :o)
Now that's a! Can't wait to see what you added to its already natural beauty!
I think we have an artificial Charlie Brown tree... LOL
Oh how I LOVE real trees. But when my husband went to school we decided on a fake one, being a bit easy and all. But I miss the smell and beauty of it! Enjoy yours:)
What fun! I love real trees but am sad to say I've only had a couple in all these years. Thus, only a couple times visiting a tree farm.... and the snow...oh my! How magical indeed. I can't wait to see photos.
Hi Tammy,
Your post brought back some wonderful memories of cutting down Christmas trees. We have almost no tree farms in our area anymore. They're all vineyards.
Glad you had such a wonderful weekend. Thanks for sharing those special moments with us. Can't wait to see that beautiful tree with all your decorations :)
xoxo
Good morning dear Tammy:-)
Seeing that picture of your oldest daughter carrying the tree with daddy brought back so many memories for me! When I was around that age I use to go in the woods with my dad to cut down our Christmas tree...no tree lots for us in those days! lol I remember how exciting it was to find the "perfect" one and then I would help dad carry it out. I had 4 brothers but none of them ever wanted to go so it was always dad and I:-)
After I got married, it's always been an artificial tree and it's just not the same. I always says one of these years I'm gonna get myself a real tree:-)
I love the one you and your family chose and can't wait to see it all decorated. I remember anytime I'd see a Charlie Brown tree I wanted to bring it home! lol
Your girls would love it here, we have plenty of snow so it will definitely be a white Christmas:-) Take care dear friend and enjoy this wonderful time of the year! Bringing mom shopping today so it will be another crazy day at the malls! lol xoxo
What a wonderful post, I enjoyed every sentence of it! Due to allergies we have always had to have an artificial tree but growing up we always had a real one. They didn't look as groomed and shaped as they do now and we always got one too big for the room as they don't look as big outside! What a fun and memorable weekend!
I think you got the PREFECT TREE! Your girls look happy with the choice.
We used to have a real tree every year--Oh the memories of choodins JUST the right one. We have had artificial trees for years. Now I do two. I know. CRAZY, but once I started it I can't seem to quit!
I look forward to seeing your tree with all his finery!
That sounds like such fun.
No real tree here, it's been some years since we did that.
Snow falling makes it even more festive doesn't it. I'll come back in a few days to see if you have posted pictures of the decorations..!
xo
I love love love your pictures of tree hunting! Since we live in HOT Florida, it's hard to get a live tree. They dry out and leave needles everywhere. When we used to get one, we shopped the tree lots for them.
Now, I put the artificial trees up. When we lived an hour north, I did take my Kindergarten class to visit a tree farm and cut a tree...they were soft and really not great for hanging ornaments, but the kids loved the experience.
:-) Susan
It is so warm here, that we get an artificial tree. When we lived in a cooler climate, we would get a real one. I miss the smell!
What a beautiful tree you guys got. I bet it will lovely all lit up.
We do a fake tree. When I was younger it was my job to clean up all the pine needles. I hated that job. With that said, real trees are beautiful and smell so good.
We used to go cut a tree, but it always ended up not fitting our stand and my husband was always very frustrated!
The last few years we've had an artifical tree, but I do miss a real one.
Loved going along with you to get yours.
Your tree looks great! I loved the little tree too. It did look like a Charlie Brown tree!
that sure was a busy weekend! Hope this one is a little more relaxing :) what a beautiful tree you guys found too!
Fun....I LOVE the picture of you and your girls with the tree! Y'all look so cute.
Post a Comment