Monday, December 03, 2007

Rainstorms and other things

We're having a rain and wind storm tonight...the kind that makes the water pelt at your window panes, occasionally seeming to bang at it fiercely when a gust of wind kicks up.
And guess what? We just discovered we have two leaky windowsills - one in our living room and the other in our dining room...and there's not much my husband can do until the rains taper off...or at least until tomorrow after work...so we have towels on the sills tonight.
I just switched the towels about an hour ago, but don't like that plop and patter sound I'm hearing now...



We just got back from our new life group...two other families whom we're already feeling a bond with in such a short time.
And we're all so excited, because we've all agreed to pick a family from the "festival of trees" in the foyer of our church to "adopt" this Christmas.
Although our own family isn't rich by any stretch of the imagination, and our regular monthly budget sometimes feels a bit tight, we feel blessed that we can go in with our group to bless a family facing tough times this year.
I'll be taking my girls to pick out a few things for the kids, and I am so hoping that this whole experience will give them some new perspective on not only what Christmas is suppose to be about- but Christian service, as well.
And we, as a group, will even be delivering the gifts, along with a dinner...so we're all feeling rather humbled, thankful and excited all at the same time.



You've might have noticed Michael W. Smith in my sidebar...Kathleen, over at The Open Window posted about the first few bloggers being able to receive a free Christmas CD, just by promising to review it.

Well, this is a first for me to do this... but being a fan of Michael's for years, but for some reason never getting around to actually owning one of his CD's, I jumped at the chance!

And I made it in time! I received the CD a few days ago, and I absolutely love it.
The first song is probably my favorite- "Christmas Angels".
And there is an instrumental number that sounds so much like an epic movie soundtrack...beautiful, and at times, thrilling.
I truly think this CD has the perfect blend of traditional and contemporary sounds, but more than that, it draws you a little closer to God as you listen.


One last thing... My oldest daughter has a "new to her" Christmas dress this year she received from someone who had outgrown it...and I bought my youngest a new one at an incredible price.
Usually, it's my youngest who is faced with hand me downs...so this is a bit of a reversal!

But both girls are loving their new frocks...
And Friday night they spent a good part of the evening dancing
princess dances....

sometimes together....sometimes, one at a time while the other obligingly tried to hum Nutcracker music.
So, it's no small wonder that we've decided to take out girls to their very first performance of The Nutcracker this year!

Well, the seats are probably in the rafters and we'll need binoculars...but we're excited!


Now, I'm off to bed to listen to the rain storm...
and hope that the window sills stay in tact through the night!
I can't deny it doesn't make me a bit nervous to hear the drips and splatters...but yet, I have to remind myself...at least we do have a warm, cozy home and we are blessed!


God bless you all this week as you enjoy the Christmas season!

19 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, stay warm and dry! I've been there, and it's not fun wringing out those towels. :0(
The girl's dresses are gorgeous, and yes, they look like princesses.

Anonymous said...

Tammy this was such a fun post to read. You are certainly embracing the Season fully, everything from giving to strangers to celebrating little girls in pretty dresses. I love that!

Blessings to you as well, my friend.

Sandy said...

Amazing wind storm last night! It's still windy out today.
Love the photos of your girls in their dresses ... one of my favorite part of the holidays. Dressing up!

Susanne said...

I used to love dressing my girls up in their fancy Christmas dresses. Now I coulnd't get either one of them into a dress if their life depended on it. :v(
Your girls look adorable in theirs.

Sorry about your windowsills. I hate it when that happens. We've got a cold day here today. But thank goodness, no rain.

someone else said...

This whole post had the feeling of a cozy warm fireplace and hot cider. I felt all warm fuzzy inside after reading it.

The girls look adorable.

Midlife Mom said...

Your precious little girls look adorable in their new dresses! What fun dancing around the living room as princesses!

Sorry about the rain leaking in, that's no fun. I hope your hubby gets to go out and fix them soon before any real damage is done. We get condensation on our bathroom windows and it drips down on the sills and makes them look bad. I think they need a new coat of poly.

What a wonderful thing to help a family at Christmas time. That's what it is all about isn't it? We sent 150 shoe boxes this year to Franklin Graham's organization and it was so much fun and I know the children receiving them will be blessed.

We are getting a big storm today, but it's snow not rain. We've gotten about 5 or 6 inches so far with more to come. My plowman has been here once and will come again when things are over.

I must go out and fill the birdfeeders again as the little ones are extra hungry in this storm! :o)

Jill said...

Rain storms, new Chritmas dresses and the Nutcracker...life is good, huh?

ruth said...

It was great talking to you & comparing leaks from this high winds & rain storm. My neighbor is supposed to come over & wrap the chimney on the roof where the stove pipe goes through to the disconnected stove pipe. They had wrapped a plastic & taped the bottom of the pipe on the inside where it came down, but that sprung a leak & water was decending down upon the wood stove which is still sitting on the brick section in the living room. Luckily I caught it before the water ran off on the new carpet

Dawn said...

They look so beautiful! I'm glad you get to take them to the Nutcracker. Believe it or not, I've never been.

My youngest brother outgrew my second brother at a very young age and my second brother always liked to say he was the only kid he knew who wore "hand-me-ups!"

I remember those tight budget days when the kids were young andwe had one income. To this day I'm very frugal. That's a good thing!

groovyoldlady said...

My girls frequently dance to the Nutcracker.

But Christmas dresses? Of fiddle. Last year I made them skirts. This year? Hmmm. I'd better get busy and either buy or make something!

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Tammy,

I always love coming over to visit you:-) Oh dear, I do hope the leaks in the window sills can be repaired...we had that happen a few years back.

I think it's wonderful that you'll be helping a needy family have a better Christmas. As you said, we don't need to be rich to be able to help others, all it takes is a little bit of care:-)

Your girls look so adorable in their new dresses. I've never been to any kind of live production like the Nutcracker....can I go with you???? lol I wish:-) I'm sure your girls will love it!!

Take care and stay warm...I'm hoping it's nicer out tomorrow because I'm starting to have cabin fever, being stuck in the house for the last 3 days!! xoxo

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there! Sorry I haven't stopped by in awhile. It's been c-r-a-z-y around my house...decorating, shopping, wrapping, etc., plus I was out of town for the weekend. It's been fun reading all your posts I've missed. I love your new "look".

Hugs!
Kat

Myrna said...

Your girls are precious, as always!they will love wearing those dresses to the Nutcracker. What a memory that will be.

I sympathize with you about the window. Last year we had a leaking window during a rainstorm. I had to do the towel bit and everything just like you. Not a pleasant thing--sort of like a leaking roof except that you can't put a bucket under it. I hate having house problems. Car and houses are just supposed to work!

Anonymous said...

One of the things that is hardest for me is that Rosie can no longer find a Christmas dress... She hasn't outgrown the wish...

Thankful for our cozy home this morning too! It is 2o degrees! EEP

Susannah said...

Wow, the weather up here has been crazy, hasn't it??? We had beautiful big flakes of snow on Saturday, and then the snow turned to rain, rain, rain yesterday. We have a couple of leaks too!

I love Michael W. Smith's music. His piano skills are incredible. Thanks for the CD review. I may consider adding this to (our already too large) collection of Christmas CD's.

Your girls look so feminine in those beautiful dresses! Enjoy the Nutcracker (Tacoma?).

Susan said...

I loved this post. Your girls dresses are so cute. I also love that you are adopting a family. This is a blessing at the holidays.

Hugs to you!

:-) Susan

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Eeeeww...sorry about the rainy leaks around the windows. Hope hubby is able to get them repaired soon. It was fun to see the pics of the girls in their new dresses and doing their dancing. Brings back such sweet memories. Our girls LOVED to dance. You will all love the Nutcracker. We went two weeks ago (on my 50th birthday!) and took two of our daughters. (#3 is in PA) It was a great way to kick off the Christmas Season. Enjoy!

Michelle said...

what pretty dresses! I can't wait to read about the experience seeing the Nutcracker!

gail@more than a song said...

The Nutcracker sounds like fun!