Thursday, December 06, 2007

Show and Tell # 10





Today, I'm joining in on the fun again for Friday's Show and Tell, hosted by Kelli at There is No Place Like Home.

And I know ideally, the rules are to post pictures we've taken of items. But in this case, I am bending the rules just a tad, to show pictures that have recently been sent my way.


I don't know how many of you are fascinated with genealogy and learning about your own family trees... but I think I have been from the time I was a little girl.

I knew a lot about my mom's mom side of the family. We have old photos and tin types that go back 150 years!

And I know a little about my dad's mom (my special grandmother whom I called Gammee) and her side...not a lot, but a little.

But as for my father's dad's family? Only that my grandfather has two brothers, one being an extremely successful aviator engineer. Other than that- Nada.

Well, this week I got a little surprise when I received an e-mail from a gentleman I never even heard of- out of the blue- who said he was at the genealogy website where I had posted some family tree info.
I had almost forgotten I had done all that last year! But to make a long story short, this stranger turned out to be, indeed, related to me and in fact, we share the same great-grandmother!

This new-found cousin is related on my father's dad side, and within the past couple days has sent me numerous pages via e-mail of our family tree, photos, and documents!

He even included a photo he had of my own daddy at about age 12, standing with my grandparents. It was one I think I remember seeing before, but so amazing that it was in the possession of someone I hadn't known before!



But the great thing about this for me is that it has closed a big gap in my family tree. I was always so curious about this side of the family and knew virtually nothing.

When my dad was alive, he would sit down with me and say things like,

"You know, I really wish I could have my grandparents all back so I could ask them questions about how life was like. So, be sure to ask your Gammee lots of questions- and me, too- while we're here and can answer them."

But for some reason, not much was said about my dad's dad's family.

But now, I know names going back this line in several directions- including one line that goes back to a soldier in the Revolutionary War!
And more recently, of the great-grandmother, Jennie, whom just recently has become known to me.

I couldn't figure out how to copy the two close-up photos of her he has sent me for some reason.
But here's a sampling of what I received this week...


A photo of a store my great-grandparents owned in 1914 (when my grandfather would have still been a boy) :
My great-grandparents, I believe, are posing in front... and notice the advertisement on the side "CocaCola relieves Fatigue"... :)

And with the scanned, typed letter that my great-grandmother wrote to her sister in law in 1939, I get a tiny glimpse of who she was....and of the pre-war fears - especially of mothers- that prevailed at the time...
(I'm showing just the last page here.)


I'll quote a small part, starting on page 1:
(She is widowed by this time, and living with one of her sons- my grandfather's brother.)

"...he wants to get to back into designing and building, but I'm afraid this war will spoil a lot of things for us. Surely hope the U.S. can't get in it, it would take the best we love. I would like to get a chance at H*tler- it would be worth one's life to save our boys.
I have three of war age, God spare them.
Seems that we no more than get a new crop of boys, then along comes a nasty war to take them off."

It was amazing to read this piece of history- and from my very own great-grandmother's heart.

As we all know, just two years later we would be attacked at Pearl Harbor- on our very own soil- and the patriotism that prevailed was inspiring.
And as it happens, today is the anniversary of that day which will live in infamy.

I don't know about you, but it's fascinating for me to think about the fact that our ancestors- everyone who came before us- were real people with real feelings- not just black and white images in gilded frames. It's interesting to wonder who they all really were...what they were like...

And to sort of get to know one of them for the very first time.


29 comments:

nannykim said...

Very touching and we never think about recording things for our children to pass on---perhaps more are thinking of doing this---I never recorded things my mom told me and they are now lost due to forgetfulness!

Hootin Anni said...

Yes!! Yes indeed...I DO love genealogy. I've researched our family tree back to Ireland in the 1600's. It's so very interesting!!! I love your photo share! Awesome.

Momma Roar said...

Very awesome! I just love stuff like this. What a blessing you have recieved, for sure!!

(fortunately for me, we still live where our families grew up...so I've been visiting the cemeteries and getting pictures of family tombs...I want to scrapbook it as part of our family tree)

Heather said...

That is so awesome! I have a pile of old letters that my grandma had from my uncle during the war. I have yet to read them all but it is amazing to read.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Christmas present! :o)

Susan said...

How wonderful!!! I am so happy for you. Another example of the wonders of this day and age we live in and the internet which connects us. So glad to be connected to you, Tammy.
Susan

marine's words said...

Hi, Tammy I found you on Linda's post and thought I would stop buy and see who is these pretty lady that hides half her face,
I too have alsways wanted to know about my genealogy but I have never really done anything about it other than the fact my grandma kept a baby book for my mom and with a pice of her hair,,and she wrote a whole lot but I can't understand it its very fine writing and its all in spanish and I can't read spanish.And as for my dads side both his parents didn't know there parents.anyway want a wounderful treat you got!! blessing marina

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful treasure! How neat that you found each other and that he had these wonderful photos and mementos. That letter touches my heart -- I have two boys of age that they would have been called into battle in those days. I just can't imagine. It is so true -- those names or old pictures do show real live people with many of the same concerns we would have. It's so interesting to think about them.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Diane Shiffer said...

I am in tears after reading those letter excerpts. What a precious treasure you have there! One of my worst fears is that my own boy would someday have to go off to war. He prays every night that God will "let him be a hero someday".. and my heart just stops everytime he does! Is it wrong for me to pray that his prayers aren't answered? Oh, well enough about me, LOL.

Thanks for sharing your treasues with us:-)

Lana G! said...

Wow, talk about reaching into the past! This is wonderful and I am so glad you have these great memories!

ellen b. said...

What a wonderful surprise and treasure you received. I am so moved by the letter. It really does put things in perspective. Enjoy!

Nancy said...

WOW- how amazing is that? Now you have something to treasure from the past and keep for your kids. This is a blessing indeed!

Anita said...

What a lovely story! You are truely blessed with this wonderful family picutes!

Thanks for sharing and have a great Friday!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is wonderful to find old pieces of the past isn't it? I would love to know more about my family than I do, maybe one of these days I'll get the chance to do more research.

Have a wonderful day!

Tricia

nancy said...

What a discovery. What a blessing.\Nancy

Anonymous said...

I too love family history. That is wonderful to have a piece your yours.

Anonymous said...

Spell check: that's {of yours}

Mary said...

I love learning about people's families and do know quite a bit about my mother's family. They date back to Sir James Cook on my maternal grandmother's side. I know right back to my great-great grandparents on that side, but not as much about my father's side. I did know my paternal grandparents, and do know who their parents are, but that is it. My aunt has traced some of the family tree and has it all recorded. I must ask her for a copy.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful correspondence with us. I enjoyed visiting with you.

Blessings,
Mary

Ms. Kathleen said...

How fabulous! I do genealogy but have taken a break from years of research but I do love it. I will need to share sometime. What a treasure and how fun! God Bless!!

ruth said...

I met Bill & Evelyn the one she speaks of in her letter at your grandfather George's funeral. Your dad used to have contact with both his uncle Bill & Robert, whom he called Uncle Bob. He especially admired his Uncle Bob & chose that name when he changed his name. His original birth certificate just said baby boy & not the name Wilfred that his parents named him & he hated.

Martha said...

What a wonderful find! Your father looks alot like my father when he was young!

Thanks for sharing this bit of history with us. The patriotism of yesterday was truly inspiring!

Blessings,
~Jane

Carole Burant said...

Oh Tammy, that is so very fascinating and I can just imagine how thrilled you were when you heard from this man and then learned so many facts from him!! The pictures and letter are also so interesting. It's funny but like you, I know a lot about the family on my mother's side but hardly anything on my dad's side!! Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm:-) xoxo

Kelli said...

I love things like this too, Tammy! The pictures and letter are wonderful treasures.
Kelli

gail@more than a song said...

The letter and pictures are real treasures! Letterwriting is such a lost art I think and we get to glimpse so much of how life was when we read them.

Rose of Sharon said...

That is so cool and amazing! How wonderful to recieve the picture!

:0) Sharon

Myrna said...

What a true treasure you received! I love looking at old letters and photos from the generations before.

You have an interesting story! Hmmm--I think when you finish the book you are writing you may have another one waiting to be written!

Linda said...

What a wonderful discovery Tammy! Like you, I find all of the family history fascintating. You've made me want to learn more.
The letter is so touching. Imagine - the possibility of three sons going off to war. It was the same for my grandmother - I think four of her sons, including my Dad, were involved in WWII.
Thanks so much for sharing this. It was so interesting.

Nadine said...

That is so awesome. What a treasure to come in contact with someone in your family and it opens up such doors to know about your past. God is so good.

Pamela said...

some years ago I found a distant relative (my great grandmother and his great great grandfather were brother/sister)

I shared pictures with him of his gr gr and gr grandfathers. He was so delighted. I don't know how my grandmother happened to have them.

I have some real blanks when looking into our trees. The limb just ends - nothing.

When you see a letter like that - you know they were people with hearts and emotions and not just a name in a bible.