I can't believe it is already show and tell Friday again so soon! You may have noticed I'm not posting quite as often this month...but since a lot of you are also busy these last weeks leading up to Christmas, I know you understand!

Today for Show and Tell -since I didn't get in on Morning Glory's Christmas Tree Treasures- I would like to show one of the special little ornaments which hangs on my tree and the story behind it.
As some of you know, when my husband and I were first married, he was in the Navy and we had just moved clear across the country where he was stationed in Virginia.
Just four months after our wedding, he had to leave me for a half a year.
A half of year.
And let's just say that as I watched his ship sail into the horizon, the six months loomed depressingly long to this bride...and especially daunting was the fact that I had left all of my friends and family behind on the other side of the continent.
I'd like to say that it flew by faster than I feared, but it really didn't. I missed my new husband desperately.
Christmastime was especially hard, and if it wasn't for my mom flying out to be with me, it would have been unbearable.
One day, as I was wandering through a mall that Christmas, I decided to stop by H*llmark and splurge on an ornament for our first married Christmas...even though we weren't even together!
I fell in love with this one...

I loved the face on the clock...it reminded me of something old-fashioned...a familiar image of something I had seen as a child.
But it also represented "time"...how he and I were counting the weeks...the days...the hours...until we were back in each other's arms again.
And of course...the romantic mice...well, that's self-explanatory!
Since that Christmas in 1995, this little ornament has hung on our tree every year.
And when things get testy between us, or we simply are too busy with daily life and responsibilities, it helps to serve as a reminder that there was a time when the days went by agonizingly slow because we were apart...when we longed for one another so much that it almost seemed like an impossible dream that we would ever be reunited.
But we were...one incredible day, my ship came in! :)
But that's for another post...

For more Show and Tell, please visit our gracious host, Kelli, at There is No Place Like Home! (And join in the fun on the 17th many of us participate in the Christmas Tour of Homes, hosted by Boomama!)








30 comments:
What a wonderful story and great ornament you chose to remember this time by. Blessings on many more years together...
How wonderful. I love the little ornament too......it is so cute!
:0) Sharon
What a precious keepsake of your first Christmas! How very hard it must have been to have to be apart. I think the ornament you chose is just perfect and you'll have it to treasure all your married life.
xoxo
That is so sweet and romantac! Our very first ornament was broken when our dog knocked the tree over after about 13 years.
I really do know how to spell romantic!
How sweet...what an adorable ornament...and awesome description of your loneliest 6 months on earth I bet. Now you're together and life is splendid ---Love reading this, love the ornament.
Now that's what I call romantic! :o)
What a cute ornament and I LOVE the story behind it. I bet those memories come pouring back each year you bring it out to put on the tree. Thanks for sharing.
How incredibly precious! I love ornaments that mean something. Designers trees, pretty but no meaning. Give me a tree with these kinds of ornaments any day!
That's the sweetest post! What a darling ornament and the story behind it just warmed my heart.
It's a cute, sweet ornament and I love the story behind it and the symbolism of it.
Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
It must be so sweet to hang that ornament each year. My husband was in the service and gone for the a year after we were married for one month. I remember that feeling!
This was wonderful!
What a perfect ornament that was for your first year with the clock, time, and waiting. Sweet story.
Yes, I remember your MA doll! I don't have any big MA dolls, but love them.
Katherine
Awwww. What a great story and what a cute ornament! That must have been hard for a newlywed!
What a sweet ornament! Such a perfect ornament to help you remember your first year!
Tammy,
This is a beautiful post and your Christmas clock with the kissing mice is so romantic. I love it. Thanks for brightening my day.
Blessings,
Mary
A lovely story and a really great ornament.
Nancy
Oh, Tammy, such a precious ornament and I can see why you would have bought it that first Christmas, newly married and without your hubby! I love ornaments that have a meaning behind it and this one sure does:-) Have a wonderful weekend dear friend! xoxo
Sweet Christmas memories! Thanks for sharing.
I love that ornament! Thanks for sharing today.
Hugs,
Susan
Ohhhh, what a wonderful story...
...and I must tell my daughter! Her intended is considering the Navy (like his Dad). We keep warning them about how hard it could be!
Glad you made it through that first Christmas apart with flying colors, Tammy. :~D
This was such a nice read. We forget the moments when our love for our spouse was fresh and new.
That is such a sweet story and the ornament is so cute. I like the face on it too.
That is just adorable! What a treasure! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!
That does give a special meaning to "your ship came in". How very sweet...and what a sweet keepsake.
Aaaaaaawwww!
What a wonderful story and a sweet treasure! So cute!
Kelli
What a great ornament.
I was happy that I was able to spend that Christmas with you in Virginia & to try to make your holiday a little brighter. Do you remember the little wooden Bible ornament that I bought at the church bazaar that you took me to? It hangs on my tree every year & is a reminder of that Christmas I spent with you in Virginia.
Post a Comment