Friday, December 21, 2007

A Show and Tell Variety Addition



I guess because Christmas is just about upon us, my Show and Tell today is just a bit different.
I'd like to show couple different types of things...OK, a hodge podge! But you'll understand more as you read on...

First of all, a more traditional show and tell item...


This tall, lovely doll was just given to me by my mother this year while she began downsizing. I believe she is about 24 in. tall, and as you can see, she holds her own little doll in her arms!

Before I was married, both my mom and I were consultants for House of Lloyd, and while I began collecting a lot of Christmas items, she collected dolls.
Of all of hers, this was one of my absolute favorites!

You can see two sweet little dolls standing beside her...my mom bought those for my girls last Christmas, and I love their little old fashioned attire and sweet faces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like thousands and thousands of other moms this week (and dads, too!) I baked some sugar cookies today with my children.

I have to admit, I am not a true expert in the kitchen...
I usually I grab the P*llsbury dough from the refrigerator section, pop them in the oven, and then pretend their home-made. "Nothin' says lovin like something from the oven!"

But at least once a year, I actually bake from scratch, along with my little helpers...


We did both plain, round sugar cookies, and then made a new batch of dough for using our cookies cutters.

Here are some of our shapes before I took them out and baked them...


And here are our round sugar cookies with sprinkles...all ready to eat! Want one?


We have never known most of our neighbors, sad to say...so this year I made sure we made several dozen so that we could share.
After dinner, my husband even went with us as we made rounds to eight of the homes closest to us.
In years before, I might have given something to one or two special neighbors...but nothing like this.

Some we knew, some we didn't.
We carried our basket around door to door in the very nippy air, and it was fun to get some of the reactions. At one neighbor's house they peered through the window, not sure if they should answer...a family with a basket? Were they selling mistletoe or something?
But most everyone seemed warm and friendly...if not a little surprised by a simple act of giving for no reason...
except it was Christmas.

One last thing I want to share...

My five year old Lil Cherub drew this last night.

I realize that all of us who are parents and grandparents also have artists just as gifted- or even more so! But if you click on it, you can see how much work and detail her little hands put into it.
She loves to draw...and in our Advent candle devotions, we talked about individual talents and gifts, and how they can be used for Jesus.

And this is her gift...giving it right back to Him.

For more Show and Tell participants, visit our gracious host, Kelli, at There is No Place Like Home.

28 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Awesome. Neat dolls, but the girls and the cookies are priceless.

[love the Santa photo below too]

My show n tell has been shared, won't you drop by if you can to visit?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Cookie delivery to the neighbors is wonderful!

And that picture is incredible. You should figure out how to make that into your Christmas card for next year.

The cow is moooooing, that star is really blazing, and the shepherd's hooks those shepherd's are holding are so cute. They look like big candy canes :)

She is quite the artist. And like the little drummer boy, she is giving herself right back to Jesus.

Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dolls, and what a wonderful thing to do with the cookie delivery, we need that show of kindness year round. Thanks for sharing.

ellen b. said...

Oh I love little kid art! The details are fantastic. I think the head pieces on the wise men are my favorite! :)
Enjoy and a very Merry Christmas to you all...

Anonymous said...

What a sweet doll! And I love the idea of meeting the neighbors with a basket of cookies.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Susie said...

Tammy,
May I just say that in your unselfish giving to your neighbors you have truly taught your children how much more blessed it is to give than to receive.
That drawing is wonderfully detailed. I can see how much work she put into it.
You should be so proud of yourself as a mother..
love and ((hugs))

Susanne said...

Your cookies look yummy!

The dolls are a precious item. They're just lovely.

Mary said...

Tammy,

The dolls are exquisite and baking cookies with little ones is really making memories. It is a time that is long remembered. Grandma and I used to bake Christmas cookies way back in the 50s and I remember it like it was yesterday. Oh, to have one more day to bake cookies with her. And there will also be memories of delivering them to neighbors.

Please frame that picture that your little one drew. She sure put her heart into it. It would be great if someday when she is grown and married, it was still part of your Christmas display.

Thanks so much for sharing all of your lovely show and tell.

Merry Christmas,
Mary

Rose of Sharon said...

I love your dolls, they are so pretty! What a beautiful drawing your little one drew. Isn't it neat to see how pure and innocent their little hearts are. They have pure love for Jesus and it is truly wonderful!

Merry Christmas! Sharon

Betty said...

Tammy,
What a beautiful doll.....Your live dolls are beautiful also....

Those cookies look 'good enough to eat'......

Thanks for dropping by.....Betty

Dawn said...

We made cookies, too, but it was total chaos, and we didn't get the decorating done yet - this deal with Mommy has really been stressful. I've thought we should do the same with the neighbors, but no energy to do so has emerged from my body. But I am so proud of you for doing that with your girls. You're such a good mom.

The picture is glorious. It looks so much like something Care Bear would draw. I think they are lot alike. Wish they could connect!

Have a blessed Christmas. We are in such a state - celebrations are off whack because of Kristen's situation, as well as other things. And no shopping, none. I absolutely have to get out today, if only for gift cards. But it's so difficult when she needs to be here with the kids, and her husband is not feeling well at their house. What a mess. Thank you for praying for us. Care Bear is having a particularly difficult time with her emotions with this situation.

I will definitely be sharing more of our trip - I need to go back there in my mind! It's had to believe it's already been a week since our last day.

someone else said...

All of your show and tell items are great, but I have to say that the drawing from your little one just melted my heart. What a sweet keepsake!

Martha said...

I like your doll. She looks beautiful. Your cookies look delicious. I think it is neat that you went around to homes in your neighborhood. We do that every year - and it is such a blessings. We actually are going out tonight. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Blessings,
~Jane

ruth said...

Those cookies looked like you could reach in & taste them. Loved the drawing & the dolls I gave everybody. I loved the one I gave you too so it was good to give her to you. Great idea giving the neighbors the cookies.

Nadine said...

The girls helping is great. My daughter (now 24) still wants to help make the cookies. I had to wait until she came home from school to make cookies. What great fun.

I pray you have a wonderful Christmas with your family this year.

Carole Burant said...

Merry Christmas dear Tammy! Such a wonderful Show & Tell...the dolls are just gorgeous, especially the two live ones you have helping you bake sugar cookies:-) It brought tears to my eyes reading about you and your family going to the neighbours to give them cookies, that truly is a wonderful act of giving!! Then I saw the nativity that your little one drew...oh Tammy, now that really had the tears rolling down my cheeks. It's beautiful and so very special, it deserves to get framed:-) xoxo

Denise said...

i love dolls and have a bunch of them... I bought a lot fo them at the Salvation Army Thrift Store many years ago with the intent of restoring them......... I have not yet found the time but I still have them stored away... maybe this year I will start..........

Merry Christmas

Susan said...

The doll is absolutely precious!!!
Susan

Pamela said...

my late MIL had a doll that belonged to her mother when she was a child - so I'm assuming the doll was about 100 years old. When MIL died, we let hubbys sis have the doll - and she said she would pass it on to her grandaughter - at some point.

Instead, she sold it. Has since been diagnosed with dementia -- so we know she didn't do it purposely.

Just sad to think about that doll being gone.

Lynne said...

Wow, I wish I lived on your street. That was a really sweet thing to do.

Love your daughter's picture-it would make a cute Christmas card

Anonymous said...

Tammy, that cookie idea is wonderful! We may do that next year. What a great way to bring some surprise and cheer to your neighbors! Merry Christmas!

Justabeachkat said...

I wish for you and yours the merriest of Christmases filled with family, love, food and fun and many memory making moments.

Christmas hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Wish I was in the neighborhood! ;o)

LOVE the picture... A wonderful gift!

Susan said...

Trust you had a wonderful and Blessed Christmas, Tammy :o)
Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What great memories you have made, Tammy! The drawing choked me up.

Nancy said...

I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas and that your New Year is the best ever. You are a blessing to me!

Anonymous said...

hope you had a merry christmas, tammy. (((HUGS)))

Kelli said...

What wonderful treasures and I love how you deliver cookies to the neighbors! I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas!
Hugs,
Kelli